Z-UI Recoloring Assets

Much of it has been converted to G&K assets...

Attachments

• Teaser_UI-GK(512).jpg
    Teaser_UI-GK(512).jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 423
** It's been a very looooonnnnggg time!! ** :)

Just wanted to let everyone know that i'm currently working on a complete BNW *UI* conversion to the (of my personal choices - that is!) usual "Grey Scale" format.

It's been quite a ride with all the new stuff while most Gold/Green assets translated very smoothly to specific shades through some various patterns of both Saturation levels and Hue degrees. I think you'll be pleased by the results.

Maybe another week or two before i can upload it all to the Steam-Workshop! ;)

Hello

late to the civ v mod scene, a significant UI overhaul now exists (link in my sig).
While its modified logics have attracted lots of players, its graphics suck - I don't do graphics and have so far failed to get civ fanatics graphic talent interested.
Which is really too bad since EUI has become one of the most popular mods nowadays...

Will you be the one to let the masses get a good looking EUI ? A good place to start would be EUI's crappy-looking diplo corner buttons (the aim was to get them all down to size 45.45)

Cheers

I just have to say, your UI elements as seen in the now-two-year-old picture look really good! I wouldn't have thought a grey scale look could work so well, but it looks good, and that's just like the 'prototype' version now that you're back and working on it again.

I also second bc1's semi-request, as EUI is one of the most-used mods but unfortunately suffers from a few graphical misnomers related to the current UI.

But regardless, welcome back to the forums! I am looking forward to seeing the final result. :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone for all the kind remarks!

Will you be the one to let the masses get a good looking EUI ? A good place to start would be EUI's crappy-looking diplo corner buttons (the aim was to get them all down to size 45.45)

Dunno yet... i guess people who will subscribe to this mod would be the final judge of how good it really looks -- to them. That's the whole trick with graphic alterations, it's a clear matter of taste and mostly personal "biased impressions".

As for Diplo Corner buttons; the actual default size for these is 80x80. Which given the design quality and (eventually) my re-colored versions, could make lower res (at 45) images much less attractive -- to me, at least.

Take a look at the snapshots below. This is how they currently stand. Never mind the backdrop Trims as i have yet to transfer those from the GSR (or GK) versions to a somehow more BNW style and hue(s) schema.

The Menu buttons on the left-side are really cool **IN full blown COLORS**. GK couldn't let me integrate the Resources & GreatPersons... but now, BNW folder structure allows me to!

So far, so good! ;)

Here's what i mean by some sort of "BNW style and shades"...

This is how the IntroMenu shows up. Very similar to the previous GSR, btw. Except for the hover bars that go from Reds to Sharp(er)-Greens.
It's mainly a simple re-saturation of the previous Gold-Emerald-Green while brightness and hue are re-calibrated to fit into the whole Grey-Scale concept.

The entire set of files is getting a work-job accordingly; Notifications, Grids, Frames, icons -- everything. Lots of fine-tuning to do. But, it's fun!!

I don't think my stuff will create incompatible assets with EUI, btw.

As it is only a package of re-designed DDS files that get pulled directly from the Art sub-folder for Z-UI. I never could code some LUA/XML workaround solutions for a run-time call of preload elements.

Not sure how anyway.

...I don't do graphics and have so far failed to get civ fanatics graphic talent interested.

Once i'm through with the BNW mod or most of its essential assets, i'll consider having a look at your EUI graphical elements.
But you should be warned beforehand that any requests would need to be **VERY** specific. When it comes to artwork, it's somehow easy to make bad choices or fail to please whomever's opinion on better graphics.

We'll discuss this offer later!

Not really, i'd rather keep all of my mods centralized in the Official web server. Which happens to be Steam Workshop and is in fact, formally endorsed by Firaxis.

But... let me tell you the tale -- i've had my own fair share of silly (and quite annoying) troubles with CivFanatics site in general. I even once had all of my Mods uploaded right here and had to delete them for a personal reason. Won't get into much more details though as i'm sure everyone should understand.

As long as the community can have some direct access to these Mods, i'm just fine with the current conditions.

As long as the community can have some direct access to these Mods...
Not everyone does if you just post it to the Workshop. I wouldn't worry about pirated copies of CiV, but you're leaving out those using the Mac or Linux versions--which, true, don't "officially" support mods, but can utilize non-DLL mods after making one small edit. If you prefer not to host it here, you could always post it to a filesharing site.

I often find it far easier to download from here, so I don't have to launch CiV and wait for the mod to download and extract (often I just want to tinker with it before I open CiV). Or when CiV gets "stuck" and doesn't actually download anything, having to close CiV, clear the mod cache, open it again, and wait for the download and extraction (assuming it works the first time). Or when CiV decides to redownload half my mods again for no apparent reason; and then wait for innumerable downloads to complete and re-extract themselves before finally being permitted to use your mod. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Plus, in the case of this mod, it requires manual copying of files even after the download and extraction has completed. If I'm in fullscreen mode and Alt+Tab out, sometimes the game crashes. What a PITA!

Alright, you've convinced me... i'll upload a copy in the D/L section later this week.

It's the *.civ5mod package file that must be used, right? Not a zip of an already decompiled bunch of folders and files?
Simply can't remember.
How easy to use is the Steam_Workshop is an entirely different story. Opinions *DO* collide at times.

Doesn't matter. A .civ5mod is a.7z archive. The .civ5mod should be automatically extracted by a Windows CiV, but I'm not sure it does with Mac or Linux. I use .zip so there's no confusion.

I remember that there was once a specific attempt by someone that tried to address such issues with "Better" Roads & Railroad rendering.

Found the initial thread... http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=399942&highlight=Railroads

I could do similar stuff for you -- but, i'm currently busy with BC1's EUI-Icons. It may take awhile though. Possibly during the month or so. Patience (again)! :)

Top Bottom