A Thread of Questions

ThichN

Warlord
Hi again! I had so many questions about scenario development that I thought I'd make a new thread and post them here as they come up. I really appreciate all the help I have received here thus far!

Problem with Dragons
I am using the Fantasy Game as my "base" for my scenario, as I could not find another way to start a scenario with multiple maps. I do not have an events.txt file for this scenario yet, but I have edited the rules.txt extensively.

The short of it is that I am receiving a message about dragons, and this is crashing my game. I found the dragon-related message in the base fantasy game's events.txt file, so I removed that file from the "Fantasy" folder, thinking somehow it was interacting with my "Scenario/Scenario Name" folder. But, no luck -- this dragon-related message continues to come up (about the dragons being allies), and the game crashes.

Everything else has been working so smoothly, so I'm a bit puzzled by this. I thought I'd ask for help now, as I'd hate to build out my whole scenario and have this happen! It seems to happen when I "Give All" techs... -- so I am anticipating that, if a player were to work through the tech tree, it would create this message. No idea where this message is hiding.

Population
Does anyone know where the population counter is located? I'm talking the "10,000" part. I'd like to modify how many people it says a civilization has -- not just by modifying the population #s of cities, but actually modifying the modifier/counter, so that, say, it reads 1 population as 100 people (for example). Is there any way to do this? I've searched labels.txt and game.txt, to no avail. Am I missing something?

Hiding City Population on the Map
Is there a way to hide the population box for certain city art styles?

Problem with Dragons
I am using the Fantasy Game as my "base" for my scenario, as I could not find another way to start a scenario with multiple maps. I do not have an events.txt file for this scenario yet, but I have edited the rules.txt extensively.

The short of it is that I am receiving a message about dragons, and this is crashing my game. I found the dragon-related message in the base fantasy game's events.txt file, so I removed that file from the "Fantasy" folder, thinking somehow it was interacting with my "Scenario/Scenario Name" folder. But, no luck -- this dragon-related message continues to come up (about the dragons being allies), and the game crashes.

Everything else has been working so smoothly, so I'm a bit puzzled by this. I thought I'd ask for help now, as I'd hate to build out my whole scenario and have this happen! It seems to happen when I "Give All" techs... -- so I am anticipating that, if a player were to work through the tech tree, it would create this message. No idea where this message is hiding.
I'm pretty sure that when you start a game or scenario, the events from events.txt are saved into the game. There is a "delevent.exe" program floating around (e.g. in the Red Front scenario) that can delete the events, but apparently it doesn't work for totpp.

The first thing to do is to save your game as a scenario, and start the scenario. I'm pretty sure the scenario will look again for an events.txt file, so that will probably solve your problem.

If that doesn't work, temporarily remove the events.txt file from the Fantasy game, and start a new fantasy game. Then, you can use this script to copy your scenario setup to the new file.

You should probably ask in the scenario league how to setup a multi map scenario. I suspect you have to "import" maps using the map menu beside the cheat menu, but I've never done this.

Population
Does anyone know where the population counter is located? I'm talking the "10,000" part. I'd like to modify how many people it says a civilization has -- not just by modifying the population #s of cities, but actually modifying the modifier/counter, so that, say, it reads 1 population as 100 people (for example). Is there any way to do this? I've searched labels.txt and game.txt, to no avail. Am I missing something?
Hiding City Population on the Map
Is there a way to hide the population box for certain city art styles?
You should probably ask these in the scenario league forum, since more designers use that space.

First problem solved, @Prof. Garfield ! In retrospect, it makes a lot of sense that the events are saved into a "save game." Thank you for the tip. I'll check in on the other forum.

Top Bottom