basic resources actually worse than empty space?

Yeah, very disappointed in the civilopedia in this release. And the game hasn't been out long enough to wikia to fill in the gaps yet. In time. I went to start compiling a table like this this afternoon, and, for a rather stripped down game, there are quite a lot of various terrain+resource combinations, and it will take going through the LUA's to determine what resources can spawn on what tiles, I think.

just for example, there is a virtue that gives +1 health for every basic resource you have improved... do that with a farm. 3rd tier of prosperity.
It's +1 health for each TYPE of improved basic resource. That's a max of +8 health, IIRC.

There are techs that give +1 Prod and +1 Energy to each improved basic resource, and another under Might that does the same for strategic resources.

It's +1 health for each TYPE of improved basic resource. That's a max of +8 health, IIRC.

There are techs that give +1 Prod and +1 Energy to each improved basic resource, and another under Might that does the same for strategic resources.
and there are 12 basic resource types..

not in my game play.... went from -24 global health to - 8 health upon selecting that virtue.

It depends on the basic resource. Water resources are clearly a boon. Silica, gold, and copper will always be better than regular mines, because you get mine yields plus some bonus yields, although one could imagine terrain where this blocks a biowell or farm your city really needed for food.

I do find myself getting less excited about the other bonus resources than I did in Civ V. I think it is partially because you grab a smaller percentage of techs before victory, and the techs that boost basic resources are separate from the ones boosting the more common improvements. It makes more sense to tech for farm or biowell improvements because you can spam them all over the place and don't only have them on a few tiles. It also makes more sense to tech for a building that I can build in all 7 of my cities rather than the 2 with fungus.

Coming back after a lot more hours played:
Most ressources are okay-ish, but certainly not great. Much less powerful and important than in CIV5, so there is little reason not to just settle on top of them if that allows you an extra city.

I usually Terrascape Basalt nowadays. Silica is also removed if I need the space. Paddocks are a close call, though - unless you need them for a special building they are probably also decent Terrascape targets.

Reslin is definitely worth keeping because of the 20% health bonus from bionic labs.

Coming back after a lot more hours played:
Most ressources are okay-ish, but certainly not great. Much less powerful and important than in CIV5, so there is little reason not to just settle on top of them if that allows you an extra city.

I usually Terrascape Basalt nowadays. Silica is also removed if I need the space. Paddocks are a close call, though - unless you need them for a special building they are probably also decent Terrascape targets.

Depending on my resources, I might prefer Photosystems for the +1 plantation food (i.e., take it a little earlier than otherwise). There's 4 plantation resources, so sometimes it's worth it. But I never seem to have enough paddocks and quarries to justify altering my tech choices for those. Even though +1 culture is nice.

Top Bottom