Bootcamp Crash?

Zaimejs

Emperor
So I bought the Frontier Pass, and am too impatient to wait for it to work on Mac, so I booted bootcamp for the first time in a long time.

After some updating, I fired up Civ and started a game with Sister Six Sky. I played for an hour or so, and it ran so smoothly in full-screen. I was thinking about switching to Bootcamp and playing there more often!

So I fired it up later, and tried to start the game. CRASH! I got a black screen-restart... I tried to switch to Direct X 12 using the startup menu... and the game wouldn't start. I select that option, and it would just go back to the Steam screen. No launch... nothing.

So I went back to Direct X 11... and it would boot up... take forever to load.... and then when the game finally launched, I would make one move and CRASH... blackscreen of death again.

I have no idea why this started happening. I searched for solutions, but didn't really find anything. I have had a problem with my Late 2014 iMac with the Radeon video crashing... pisses me off. I thought it was a Mac software issue, but it is now happening on the PC side as well.

AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4 GB

I had a similar problem with Civ VI not wanting to start up and kicking me back to Steam. Turned out a process for the game/launcher wasn't being killed when quitting the game. Killing the process allowed the game to launch but it still failed until I did a completely fresh download and verification of game files.

Also, I'm pretty sure DX12 is not supported in Bootcamp. Have tried swapping to it myself and never had any luck launching it. NOTE: Just looked into the Sid Meier's Civ VI app container (MacOSX) and only found executables for Civ VI and Civ VI Metal, so it does look like DX12 isn't supported. Don't have access to my Win box to check there.

My tedious process to try and fix would be:

1. Delete entire game from Bootcamp partition
2. Restart Windows to kill any tasks that may be running in background (or use Task Manager)
3. Completely reinstall Civ VI from Steam
4. Verify file integrity (Properties>Local Files>Verify Integrity)
5. Launch Civ VI
6. In Launcher, make sure setting is for DX11
7. Click Play

Hopefully that will solve your problem.

Thanks. That does sound tedious. But I like your avatar, Doc.

Top Bottom