City nomenclature?

I like Sol that's a very good one to include, but I feel like if we're going to to have any city named Sirius it should be our capital, unless we think that might be part of a plan of deception.

The astronomer in me says to include Sol, it's just a star like any other star after all :)
But people might not really look at it that way though.

If we include it, it might be useful for a (wonder) production city, as by being a population I star it has a quite high metallicity. And after all, every world wonder has been constructed using its energy :)

Or the other way round if we're going for a disinformation campaign.

Being Team Sirius, I think it's appropriate that our capital's name is Sirius. We could use Sol as a city name at some point though.

I like Sol or even Solarius. I guess I like elaborate sounding names and just saying Sol would probably be best. Heh

A name for the various islands in the game would be good. They're not used in the game anywhere as such, but we're going to start wanting to use them in diplomatic communications. Grant2004 already suggested:
As for our alternate name, I'm going to suggest Andromeda, if we're going to name cities after stars, naming islands after galaxies seems logical.

This seems to have been accepted. Along the same lines, I'm going to suggest we call our home island "The Milky Way". It's a bit of a funny name for an island, but it makes more sense than anything else I can think of.

Or, since we went with the rule of not using "Sol" as our capital, we could also avoid using "The Milky Way" for our island, and pick another galaxy name instead. I really don't mind though.

I feel like we can skip the milky way, it does sound pretty unusual for an island name, we don't even have any cows :lol:

I wouldn't object to that. And we don't have to be 100% consistent... a little craziness never did much harm to anyone. :p

I like having Sol as the island name -- and the idea of naming islands after galaxies. I could only think of reserving Sol for a future capital site but there is nothing obvious out there, so better to name the island after it.

Wanted to update since were going to need more names:

Hadar
Capella
Altair
Aldebaran
Spica
Antares
Pollux
Fomalhaut
Deneb
Mimosa
Regulus