[NFP] Civ 6 Deity Aztec Guide

CivLifeRyoutube

Chieftain
One of the most underrated civs in this entire game has to be the Aztecs. A top tier domination civ that doesn't skip out on building infrastructure due to their unique abilities.

For a video series check out this link as I win a deity game in around 200 turns as the aztec empire where I ended up with nearly 30 cities.

Now onto the guide.....

The Aztecs came out with the base game so therefore a lot of people have them under the radar as one of the best domination civs in the game. But in my opinion they are an S tier domination civ and a A tier civ in general. Their abilities make them uniquely geared to conquering all game without sacrificing infrastructure at all. Their unique ability includes 3 extremely important attributes:

1. Eagle Warriors steal defeated enemies as builders meaning when you go to war early you can acquire about 10 builders by killing units and stealing builders. Builders also help speed up districts which is helpful if you run out of things to do with them and also helps get new cities off to a much faster start then usual.

2. The Eagle warrior is a replacement unit for the starting warrior meaning you can get early era score and get to domination extremely early on. They start off with 28 combat strength which can go up to 35 with one promotion. This means that when fighting enemy warriors your Eagles can massacre them even on deity with the AI combat advantages.

3. Each improved luxury grants 1 combat bonus, this is massive later on. Your eagle warriors can benefit from it early on with 2-3 combat strength depending on the amount of luxuries, but later on you can have 12 combat strength bonus if you are on three different continents. This essentially allows your units to fight as if their an era ahead of everyone else. And if you take out a few early neighbors, you will have enough science to actually BE an era ahead of everyone unit wise. So if you improve even 8 luxuries, you will end up with such a massive advantage that you don't even have to worry about unit placement as your siege units can probably one shot enemy melee or cavalry units which is INSANE!
The one problem the aztec have is no loyalty bonuses, but you can work around that with governors, and policy cards along with garrison units. As the aztecs what you should do on deity is this:

Get 4-5 eagles and tale out your early neighbor. Get a few builders and settlers and settle near luxuries (not on as you wont get the bonus that way) and you can usually improve at least 3 luxuries early on. Getting barbarians is easier and you should also get at least one promotion for a few of your units. Taking out an enemy empire should be easy unless your up against America.

Note: I wouldn't play on tech shuffle as your enemy could luck out and get early walls making your units obsolete and ruining the strategy.

After that you can easily tale out another neighbor with eagles and maybe some swordsmen. In my playthrough I had swordsmen with nearly 55 combat strength making them as strong as musketmen (!!!!) making a second conquest much easier. Early on use your builders and settlers to settle as many unique luxuries as you can so you can keep improving your combat bonus. by the end of my second conquest I got lucky and had +12 combat strength for all my units by the medieval era.

Now you have two capitals and upwards of 15 cities meaning the game is over by turn 120. You can continue to dominate or you can start working towards science or culture victories. The only thing you can't do is diplomatic as you will be making -20ish favor per turn. By this time you should be at turn 200ish to get a domination victory, and turn 250 to get a science or even culture victory. Although I recommend domination as it is the quickest and easiest way as the aztecs.

What I would do with my builders is in this order:

1. improve luxuries

2. improve tiles

3. district charges
I only used district charges to help my weaker cities along as my bigger cities can build districts just fine, so using my builders to permanently improve cities and clear out forests for district locations took precedent in my opinion.

To check out this strategy in real time check out my play through i posted:
and let me know how you would use the aztecs more effectively in the comment section below.

Top Bottom