CPU Temperatures - How to Control?

CivLuvah

Deity
I bought a new gaming laptop! It's a very recent model, it's more powerful than my last one that's already more than four years old, and I'm liking it so far. Of course, I had to test it so that I'm sure I get good performance and temperatures. Here are the specs:

CPU: Intel i7-10750H
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 Super Max-Q
RAM: 16GB

My ideal temperatures are around 80°C. Below 90°C is still acceptable for me. I read somewhere that if you play with temperatures directly under 90°C to mid-80s all day everyday, your CPU would degrade fast in 1 to 2 years. Personally I would usually play 1 to 2 hours a day if I have a lot of stuff to do. If I don't, I would play all day, but that doesn't happen that much. (Would my playing habits make sure that my COU would last for more than 2 years?)

I tested my laptop using Civ6 at its maximum graphics settings. I expected the temps to be high since it's a very CPU demanding game. But when I lowered the settings to high using the slider, I was suprised to see temperatures reach around 90°C and slightly higher when I used both GS benchmarks.

Lowering framerates seem to do the trick. When I limited it to 30 fps temps lowered to ~70 to 80°C. Limiting it at 60 fps set the temps at a respectable ~85°C. I would choose the 30fps, but that's what I used as an fps limit in my old computer. I also lowered some settings, but it doesn't look so (sorry if I sound dumb) pretty as I expected it to be. I'm not sure if I'm using the right settings to optimize my game.

I would want to limit it to 60 fps. What settings should I modify in order to get good graphics and good temperatures while maintaining good performance?

Top Bottom