Domestic Discussion: The Naming of Things

Octavian X

is not a pipe.
We really should establish a coherent system of naming cities, landmarks, units, provinces, etc. So far, the two cities have been named by leaders, no landmarks are really designated, units have been named uncreatively at whim by myself, and the capital province doesn't have a name.

But cities are my top concern at the moment. I believe we should establish the Chinese language as a central theme, but allow officials to name cities in order of rank (Pres, Dom, FA, etc.) to give them the names to be translated. Thoughts?

well that river grasslands in the middle of the mountains I once named the "Shining River Valley" which we should traslante to chinese ;)

Well, I still think we should name some cities after CFC mods (ie. Thunder Falls, etc...). However, since we've already started along this path of Chinese city names, I see no harm in continuing it at this time.

Although, I do believe that if we endow invididuals with the rights to name cities, then we should not deny them the right to name the city anything he or she desires (including non-chinese names).

I like the Chinese names and I would mind seeing indivduals submit their names to be translated into Chinese. The individuals could be given a list of optional names that come closest to a direct tranlation, and then chose from it. I wouldn't mind seeing Thunder Falls either (translated into Chinese), as I had suggested the same name for the first Demogame, and it never came about. But I also think it should end there, as far as Mods go.

As an alternative...

Of course, we have that solitary mountain just NE of Shen Ling where the Sacred River originates. There've got to be some waterfalls there. As such, we could name that area Thunder Falls.

Either way, we'd better come up with a couple of names for our next 2 cities as we will likely be establishing them sometime within the week.

Then, well turn this discussion around...

The Domestic Minister is looking for a bunch of suggested city names. Please submit proposals here. Cities will be placed on a list, translated into Chinese, polled, and assigned approiately.

Well, my first submittal will be: Cha Ching. No translation needed, and only intended for use on the gold hill. It just screams out for that name.

Top Bottom