Getting the most out of unique units

The reduced iron cost is important to remember with any swordsman replacement. A normal swordsman costs 20 iron so you can upgrade a maximum of two warriors on the turn you research iron working. The UU replacements cost 10 (except for the Toa- still iron free?) so you can upgrade up to five if you have the gold. That makes a big difference in what can be accomplished before crossbows. I have to say Alex doesn't feel nearly as strong to me these days. Maybe I just need to make an adjustment or have had unlucky starts but it seems a lot harder to get his snowball rolling than it once was.

...Unless you have an Encampment or two already. They increase the cap on strategic resources.

Alex still feels pretty snowbally to me. I was able to conquer a Mapuche on Emperor using his UUs that was on a separate landmass (ocean landings are *ugh* in Civ 6) and I followed that up by overwhelming a more technologically advanced Korea (she had H'wachas) fairly handily.

One of the most satisfying is the Incan UU. Level them up by picking off enemy units and attacking city states. With Oligarchy, their double attacks, and the recon exp card, they get 16 experience/turn attacking cities! Once they hit level 3 they shred everything they come into contact with.

...Unless you have an Encampment or two already. They increase the cap on strategic resources.

Alex still feels pretty snowbally to me. I was able to conquer a Mapuche on Emperor using his UUs that was on a separate landmass (ocean landings are *ugh* in Civ 6) and I followed that up by overwhelming a more technologically advanced Korea (she had H'wachas) fairly handily.
I actually had a much better run with Alex last night. Part of it was that I've been sloppy and thus having problems with crossbows. With cavalry nerfed and the ai improved you definitely have to try harder to get him going. I was also blessed with great starting hammers, three envoys for meeting a science, commercial and cultural CS and a builder from a goodie hut. In other games the map just didn't cooperate. I had one start where there was neither horses nor iron to be had. I've had others where the map generated so many mountains and forest/jungle hills that it took forever to get anywhere and that only allowed me to attack a key city from one or two tiles. When Macedon was released my Dom sweep was a guaranteed success on Pangaea or Continents. Now there's a real possibility of having a dismal start that negates most of your bonuses. I can usually find a way to make it work anyway but it's nothing like the old Alex.

I don't think I've seen anyone mention this yet, but GAME SPEED is also an important part of determining how useful a particular UU will be. Because they don't keep their bonuses when upgraded in Civ VI (as was the case in Civ V), the window of opportunity for most UUs is much smaller. So playing on quick or online game, you barely have time to navigate the UU to the battlefield before they become obsolete. On epic or marathon, however, you have a lot more time to get your use out of them.

All the civ-specific strategy guides I've read pay a lot of attention to unique units

When I write guides, I do try to point out when I think a unique unit, ability, building, etc. isn't very useful. I know in my Georgia guide (http://www.megabearsfan.net/post/2018/05/03/Civilization-VI-strategy-Tamar-of-Georgia.aspx), I said the Khevsur isn't all that great. If you have a good opportunity to build them and use them, great. If not, then fine. Either way, don't plan your entire game around them.

I actually had a much better run with Alex last night. Part of it was that I've been sloppy and thus having problems with crossbows.

I like that the AI doesn't just fall over anymore and has learned how to defend itself a little bit. However, the fact that Crossbows present a massive roadblock/timer on any early rush can be frustrating. Hey, Firaxis, maybe I don't want to rush to Gunpowder in every game! :p

Crossbows combined with the AI's early lead in resources at high difficulty levels is a little too oppressive.

Top Bottom