GPTI -> Which Terrain to use

Stalker0

Baller Magnus
I have some decent inkling of this but I've never really looked at it closer, so its another good area for me to shore up.

When you get GPTIs, where do you prioritize putting them as far as terrain and features?

I like putting them on dry Wheat because a dry farm is often a really crappy improvement but the wheat makes it a good tile. An unforested Camp is also usually a pretty good target, though worse if your city already has a Herbalist. Failing those usually they basically go wherever, on blank land if the city usually has a surplus of labor or on some other resource if it has a shortage, trying to avoid killing really good resources like Lapiz or mines.

Generally speaking:
  • Non-freshwater tiles
  • Sheep, horses, cows
  • Wheat, bison
  • Ivory and some other luxuries
If your pantheon boosts any of the above, don't put it there. Same with cathedrals and farms or pastures and fealty.
Generally not luxuries with strong improvements, such as Lapis Lazuli or Coffee with their +2 science.
Generally not mining luxuries because of the forge.
Generally not forest/jungle resources because you don't want to chop.

For tall tradition, I put them on tiles that will suck by mid-game because of lacking improvements (flat land without fresh water, flat tundra, flat desert). For wide, I put them on tiles with nice resources but lacking improvements I won't be boosting through policies.

How about hills, do you ever put them there or generally save those for mines?

How about hills, do you ever put them there or generally save those for mines?
I put on hills frequently. Especially if you plan to get an agribusiness eventually flatland can be worth leaving as a farm. I would only avoid putting on a hill if I only have 1 or 2 hills in that city.

Top Bottom