Legalism putting free building in wrong city

Deva Suri

Chieftain
Legalism - Tradition Policy tree, 3rd policy

- Is to provide a free culture building in the first four cities

In my current game, I built 4 cities and eventually went to war with other civilizations. I began spending into other policy trees and eventually returned to the Tradition. Upon selecting the Legalism policy, it put 3 of the free buildings in the proper cities (my own original/self-built).

However the 4th one I had difficulty finding. It wasn't put in my self-built 4th city. I found it eventually placed in an annexed city. So while I had maneuvered my game to get a free Museum in my 4 cities.... only the 3 got the museum; my 4th self-built city was totally ignored and shafted.

Cities in question per the save file: Berlin (capital), Hamburg (2nd), Munich (3rd), Cologne (4th)
- All 4 cities long had an Opera House (culture building prior the museum in building scheme) as Berlin, capital had long built the Hermitage
- Cologne is the 4th city in question. It did not receive the museum as Berlin, Hamburg, and Munich all did. it got no free culture building
- Panama City (an annexed city-state ceded by Venice through a war ended over 35 turns prior) is the city that got the free culture building.(an opera house)

So what is the exact definition of getting the free culture buildings as far as placement? Perhaps the annexed city (being a former city-state purchased by Venice using their merchant; later ceded to me in a peace treaty to end a war) 'existed' before I built my other cities... surely it did to start the game.

Even then, why does that factor into the determination? An annexed city is not one of 'my' original cities. I could see such if I had less than 4 as I've actually had that occur before. But when I actually have 4 self-built cities? Why is it put in overriding fashion above my own original cities?

EDIT: Continuing to play, i finished out the Tradition policy tree. Just as it did with the Legalism free culture building... it stuck the free aqueduct in Panama City instead of Cologne. Why is an annexed city/city-state overriding my own self-built cities in the pecking order?????

Last edited:
From your description, it sounds like Panama City was annexed before your fourth self-built city was founded. If that is what happened, it's working as designed -- Panama City was your fourth city. See this War Academy article: https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/social-policy-tradition-bnw.25573/. See also this thread: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/question-about-traditions-free-buildings.521469

As noted in the article, conquered cities are treated differently depending on whether you conquered the city before or after taking the policy. For example, if you found your capital, then city 2, then conquer city 3, take Legalism, then conquer city 4 and found city 5, you will get culture buildings in cities 1, 2, 3 and 5. Then, if you conquered city 4 before taking the Tradition finisher, you would get aqueducts in cities 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Top Bottom