[GS] Lucky win on first deity game

zehcoutinho

Chieftain
When I decided to try deity I wanted to go in strong, so I chose Gitarja on Huge Island Plates map. The rest was how I usually play, standard number of CSs, -1 Civ (I like space hehe), Epic speed, Legendary SP and Low sea level.

By what I had read the AI is very aggressive on Deity, so when I saw I had 2 immediate neighbours (Kupe and Cleo) I started building more military than I usually do, but very soon they went to war with each other, so I somewhat chilled with the military to focus on settling, as my Island had plenty of space. They ended up warring the whole ancient and classical eras, and that was a good thing too, as I was impressed by how early they had Crossbows, and if they came for me I´d be in trouble (more so by Kupe, as I had a choke point created by a large lake where I could hold Cleo for a time until se got Shipbuilding).

The gamble to ease up on military to settle paid off, giving me enough faith to buy ships to make myself a not so juicy target when they stopped fighting and their forces were war depleted. It even got me to not be a weakling in Cleo´s eyes anymore and I was able to friend her. Also, the next closest neighbor was Harald, and throughout the game he was leading in military might, but since my forte was my navy, it was easy to be friends with him.

I was also very lucky with the CSs, finding both Auckland and Cardiff, great fits for me. Auckland was neighbored only by Catherine de Medici, so I allied quickly with her to keep her from taking it. And Cardiff was inside Matthias' territory, the only guy I could not friend throughout the whole game, but as luck would have it, it was completely surrounded by mountains.

By late renaissance I had 5 allies and was friends with everyone except Matthias. I didn't have war declared on me a single time, and only went to war once in an Emergency, when Matthias conquered Washington. I voted for the emergency because I was keeping an eye on him and knew he barely had a navy, so I coastal raided the hell out of him with 4 privateers I bought just for this job.

My cities had nice campus locations, so I decided to go for a science victory. When Industrial Age came I finally had a Golden Age, so I chose Hic Sunt Draconis and sent 4 settlers to a large deserted polar island with lots of sea resources. So 4 cities starting at size 4 with the free builder from Ancestral Hall gave me 4 quick campuses. I even got a fifth free city as Teddy settled a city on this island which quickly flipped to me. I was able to overtake Matthias, the science leader, in science production on turn 270, and went on to win an unimpeded (my counterspies didn't let one rocketry disruption through) science victory on turn 417/750.

I thought the universe conspired for my win, with all the luck I had hehe Now I´m preparing myself to suffer on my next try, but at least the achievement is won :goodjob:

Reactions: PiR
Top Bottom