[MapScript] LD_Mirror_Inland_Sea

LDeska

LDeska
The original post is on our Polish forum: http://forum.kac.org.pl/viewtopic.php?t=2609 I'm posting here to let you know in case if you need such map.

I created a map script which generates map that looks like Sirian's Inland_Sea (included in standard civ4). The only difference is that it is mirrored. I used two Sirian's map scripts (Mirror.py and Inland_Sea.py). The effect it that map is fair - players have the same resources and terrain and it might be used by players who want to compete and have equal chances. I've conducted many tests and it looks like it's completed and tested, but any opinions are welcomed!

Installation instructions:
1. download attached to this post file LD_Mirror_Inland_Sea2.zip
2. unzip it - you'll get file LD_Mirror_Inland_Sea2.py
3. copy it to directory My Computer->My Documents->My Games->Warlords->PublicMaps
4. start Warlords
5. start single player or multi player game
6. from combo box 'Map type' choose LD_Mirror_Inaland_Sea2
7. voila :)

Below are 5 examples of map generated using this script.

-- edit 7th March 2007
I upload new version of this script - the only modification is that I fixed the problem with proximity of players. In original script when there was two separated teams, players from teams started in 40% of map width (one team on left, other team on right part of map). In this, second version, players start in 25% of map.
This makes game much more interesting, as there no so quick fight. In first version of map it was possible to start even 8 tiles away from enemy, not it's not possible and players have possibility to show their true values, not simply run with their first warrior and enter empty capital city of player who chose civ with Hunting (and started with a scout) :)

Good luck :)

-- edit: third version

Note: This third version is not finished yet, I found a bug that will cause to put resources in not mirrorized positions (only those three resources close to capital). I advise you to use second version of this map script

Third version of LD_Mirror_Inland_Sea map script has only one modification, but quite important. It adds in proximity of maximum three tiles from starting position three basuc resources: copper, iron and horses. Of course as before whole map is mirrored, so both players or teams have equal chances.

Adding of those three resources will change the gameplay on this map, especially adding of horses, which before not always 'poped up' (and sometimes were located quite far from starting position). It will make the game more dynamic by inclusion of knights and cavalry, which will allow to run offensive actions faster.

Here are three maps generated using this map script:

Note: I corrected third version and now it is called "3a". The only modification is that after all job is done, resources are mirrored once again to make this map ideally mirrored.

Attachments

• LD_Mirror_Inland_Sea2.zip
    8.4 KB · Views: 494
  • LD_Mirror_Inland_Sea3a.zip
    9.4 KB · Views: 622
Played a few games using this mapscript with FallFromHeaven II, works like a charm. This should be great for balanced MP games.

Question: are the starting points mirrored too?

At last, this will properly test ability in multiplayer...though by the looks of that map above, first to a great artist will do very nicely thank you.

Hi,

one thing I noticed is that sometimes not ALL of the resources are mirrored. I assume this is a bug in the original mirror script? Have you ever noticed this?

Hmmm - the thing is that civ itself is normalizing the resources. I've worked hard to diminish it, I've overloaded methods that normalize everything:
normalizeAddExtras(), normalizeAddRiver(), normalizeRemovePeaks(), normalizeAddLakes(), normalizeRemoveBadFeatures(), normalizeRemoveBadTerrain(), normalizeAddFoodBonuses(), normalizeAddGoodTerrain() but there nothing more I can do about it.
I had some complains from our players that it happens, but it is so rare that I haven't noticed it by myself. Before I've overloaded those methods, it was really often, but I posted here only the final version which should be free of that problem.
Please note also that during game resources might occasionally pop up by themselves (only when a mine is worked, then sometimes resource might pop up in this mine, AFAIK only one of copper, iron, gold, silver, gems, uranium, aluminium).

I uploaded new version of this script - the only modification is that I fixed the problem with proximity of players. In original script when there was two separated teams, players from teams started in 40% of map width (one team on left, other team on right part of map). In this, second version, players start in 25% of map.
This makes game much more interesting, as there no so quick fight. In first version of map it was possible to start even 8 tiles away from enemy, not it's not possible and players have possibility to show their true values, not simply run with their first warrior and enter empty capital city of player who chose civ with Hunting (and started with a scout) :)

Good luck :)

Could you make a mirror hub map script for multiplayer?

Each hub gets exactly the same land, that would be terrific for ironman games.

In spare time... which I don't have usually :) but I'll try

Speaking of favours - maybe you would like to participate in our tournament? Tommynt from your ladder already signed up :)

We used this map in the 1 vs 1 event in Civ4player's Clan Championship Cup, and the only complaint was that the duel size was much to big for a 1v1, can we reduce the size of that map, perhaps by 20-30%?

CS

Sorry for delay, next time send me PM on civfanatics or our forum: http://forum.kac.org.pl/
About the size - it's possible, but I have to think about it... the thing is that current size is taken from original Inland_Sea script (delivered with original Civ4:Warlords). If we reduce that size, it might cause that we will have several different scripts and people might get confused...
I think about following solution - I will call that new script somehow different :) to avoid confusion.
What do you think about other request I get from our KAC players - to ensure that there is a strategic resource in a reasonable distance from starting position? I would like to implement it, but I don't know how to deal with following questions:
a) which strategic resuurces?
b) what should be the distance?

Possible answer (in my opinion):
a) which strategic resources?
1. only bronze
2. bronze and horses
3. (bronze or iron) and horses

b) what should be the distance?
1. fat cross of starting position
2. second culture pop (fat cross plus one tile)
3. second city distance (let's say 6 tiles from starting plot)

What do you think about this modification?

P.S. The reason for this modification was to decrease the power of civs with UU that doesn't require any resuorce (Mansa and Monty).

Third version of LD_Mirror_Inland_Sea map script has only one modification, but quite important. It adds in proximity of maximum three tiles from starting position three basuc resources: copper, iron and horses. Of course as before whole map is mirrored, so both players or teams have equal chances.

Adding of those three resources will change the gameplay on this map, especially adding of horses, which before not always 'poped up' (and sometimes were located quite far from starting position). It will make the game more dynamic by inclusion of knights and cavalry, which will allow to run offensive actions faster.

Here are five maps generated using this map script:

Yesterday in lobby I've noticed that some folks that play ladder games are using my unfinished map script LD_Mirror_Inland_Sea3. Basically it is a mirrored standard Inland_Sea with added three resources: copper, iron and horses in vicinity of starting position (3 tiles away from it). The problem was that those resources were put randomly and were not mirrored. It might cause problems as resources could be out of workable area for one of the civs and it could be doomed. So I promised them to correct my script and here it goes: modified third map scirpt (I called it 3a).
The modification is quite simple: I just mirrorized bonuses at the end of map generation.

Here is an example of left and right side of map (it is properly mirrored):

And here are three examples of whole map:

Download link for LD_Mirror_Inland_Sea3a.zip :

http://forum.kac.org.pl/download.php?id=122

for installation instructions see first post in this thread.

Would it be possible to make mirrored maps that mirrored continents, etc? This could be a really cool map!

Does something like this exist, or do I need to go and learn how to use Python to create map scripts?

Nice script, LDeska! :goodjob:

--ilovesimgolf

The orginal mirror script makes either a shuffle mirror map i think. Just modify it to make continents instead of shuffle(no idea how to do this though...).

Any chance you could check that the maps are still ok as i just tried to download them (a little late i know but its still nice to get them) and they were flagged up as a virus on my computer

I'm assuming because of the amountof other poeple taht have posted saying thanks that these are good so i'm wondering if maybe my AVG is flase flagging them??

Top Bottom