MGE Patch Problem

Zarathustra465

Chieftain
I've got Civ 2, and I downloaded the patch to upgrade it to Multiplayer Gold Edition. However, when I tried to run Civ 2, it told me that I was missing the file XDAEMON.DLL. I tried getting my friend to send me his, but then when I tried running it I got some weird error about a file on the CD. Anyway, can someone help me?

Welcome to CFC !

Did you look at "XDAEMON.DLL not found" ?
There's also another thread dealing with the topic, titled "Cedric, help".
Both are located in this forum.

(I don't know how to insert links in posts, sorry)

Thanks! Anyway, after I got XDAEMON in, I got a SMEDS error. It said

Error: ERR_RESOURCENOTFOUND

File: D:\Ss\Smeds32\Port.cpp
Line: 1012

Stack trace not yet available in WIN32

Can somebody help me with this?

Like several others lately, I see these are your first posts to CFC, so welcome to you!

BTW, be sure to look at the various Civ 2 forums... there are a lot Civ 2 games & variations to play and discuss, and new people are welcome!

The Search function is very handy for locating such things quickly. Your problem is answered here, by Cedric Greene:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25210&highlight=smeds*

Another user reported this solution:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23941&highlight=smeds*

None of those solutions seem to be working. I used full install, I have the no-cd crack, and I only have one cd. All of my files are also installed into the same directory. Thanks anyway.

Start a game, and go to the Game\Options windows (Ctrl + O).
I'd advise you to use the search provided within CFC - try "version", or "tips", or anything you want. You'll find many useful things with it.

;)

When I checked my version, it read

Civilization II 2.42 Custom 08-Oct-96

I'm pretty sure this is the right version, so why isn't it working?

First, get it working with the basic, fresh install. Do not start out by applying patches like No CD.

Once everything is working right, then try the next step.

Uninstall it, and begin again.

Post the details of your system, especially your hardware, and all drivers & patches to your system you have installed.

Describe the way your OS is set up. The more info you give, the more people might be able to help.

It does not help us to help you if you just say it does not work. The blunt fact is that yes, it does indeed work. There is something that you have done wrong, like not follow the advice, or maybe something you have misunderstood, or maybe just a silly mistake. There is also the possiblity something in your system, hardware, or drivers is causing it.... but how can we tell that unless you provide better information.

Hey... I know... just e-mail me your computer and I'll fix it for you ;) ;).

I'm joking about the e-mail. Go to the Computer talk forum and look at this HOWTO, fill it out, and post it here.:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24975

A lot of smart people read this Forum, but I for one am not adept at reading minds, though I do take educated guesses at times.

:)

Ok,It might sound like I'm referring to you as being stupid,but I'm not.When you extract all the files,check these steps:

1-That the files aren't placed in any subdirectories in the Main Civ2 Directory i.e \Civ2\MGE

2-That you put the files in the installation directory and not all in a seperate Civ2 directory.What I mean is,overwrite the files you install with the Civ 2 cd with the MGE files.

These are just basic things to check when installing MGE.I've used the MGE patch,and it worked :),so check the above 2 things and if you have still got a problem,then ask around.:D

Okay, here's what I did. After several failed attempts, I deleted the folder containing Civ2. Then, I inserted the CD and did a full install. The game was working at this point. Then, I applied the MGE patch, and I got the XDAEMON error. I unzipped the file that I found on the boards, and then I got the SMEDS error. After that, I went through the process for installing the no-cd crack, and ran the no-cd version, and I still got the SMEDS error. Here's my system specs:

Emachines etower 700
30 GB hard drive
48x cd drive
64 mb ram
128 mb ram upgrade
I run on Windows ME, I'm using the version of Civ II I stated in the earlier post, and I don't have any patches or anything except for the ram upgrade and the windows updates that IE automatically downloads. Do you need to know anything else?

Did you try the other 3 solutions (besides Cedric's idea to patch)?

e.g.: does your error look like this link we posted earlier:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23941&highlight=smeds*

>reinstall all the files into mps\civ2 instead of mps
>\civmge and this seemed to work. Guess I'm just a
>genius.

Where is you Civ 2 Installed to? What directory?

And Cedric's 1st 2 ideas (the 3rd did not work, according to what you said):

Stack trace not yet available in WIN 32".
I have found THREE solutions to this problem:
1) Do a full install of Civ2 2.42, not just necessary game files before applying the patch.
B) Use a Civ2 disk other than the "Classic" one, whether it be the CiC, FW or ToT one. It seems to only affect the Civ 2 classic disk, and possibly only the jewel case Hasbro Interactive one at that.
3) Install the no-cd crack, though I haven't tested this it should solve the problem.

How did these work out?

My stuff is installed to C:\MPS\Civ2. This is the only directory I have for my Civ2 stuff, no MGE stuff or anything. As I said in my earlier post, I did do a full install, and I only have one Civ2 cd.

So you tried Anarchwrksbest soultion, too, right:

I some how managed to fix the problem myself!

I reinstall all the files into mps\civ2 instead of mps\civmge and this seemed to work. Guess I'm just a genius.

The problem is a pain, but we at least know things:

1. The patch works fine. Many of us use it.
2. There is a conflict or problem of some sort on your machine (or maybe the disk).

You can try progressive elimination of things that could be the probelm. For instance, you can instalit on another machine, & see if the problem follows.

Top Bottom