Need Help Debugging Polar Projection Map

PonderThis

Warlord
Ever since I first saw the "Tilted Axis" map I thought that the ideal type of map for a tidally-locked world would be a polar projection map. After producing a fairly simple water world-type map script I figured I would give it a try. I call it Kepler-438b because it seems likely that that planet is a tidally-locked world.

First, there's a bit of a learning curve on all this and there's practically no documentation, isn't there? But I examined existing map scripts and came up with a map. Took a few weeks shaking out the obvious bugs and I've got a map I really like.

But maybe half the time it crashes on startup. Sometimes it goes for a while with no trouble, other times I have to restart the game a half-dozen times to get it to go. I've spent the last month trying to figure it out and I can tell you what it isn't: It's not the cache; clear it, don't clear it, doesn't seem to matter. It's not the size of the map. I've shrunk it, I've enlarged it, same results. It doesn't seem to be related to the placement of aliens or resources. It doesn't seem to be a problem with canyons-vs-rivers.

When it does crash, as far as I can tell it actually gets all the way through my script and dies while initializing terrain. I base this on the fact that when it crashes, the last line in system_init.log is always the same thing:
[236955.406] DBG: SystemInit: LoadGameState::GameViewState::Startup(): 30 Milliseconds

And when it has a successful run, the line immediately after that is:
[237005.640] DBG: SystemInit: InitTerrain(): 50237 Milliseconds
Yeah, you read that right. It can take as long as 50 seconds to initialize that terrain, although it typically tends to be closer to the 30 second mark. Still, that's a heck of a long time.

So I dunno. When it runs, it's great. And when it doesn't, it's frustrating.

So if you'd like to help, or are just curious, just unzip the attached file to your maps directory (i.e., "Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization Beyond Earth\Maps") and give it a go.

Attachments

• Kepler_438b.zip
    20.8 KB · Views: 107
Hi, hevans, you know it's the weirdest thing. The moment I posted the map here, it started working perfectly. Now I'd had sets of good runs in the past, so I've really run it a bunch over the past week or so, both with and without mods. And not one problem.

Maybe the November 30th patch fixed something? I dunno, but I guess this means that if anyone wants to try out the map, it seems to be stable now. And it really is a fun map, I've played through a lot of full games over the course of testing this thing.

I've continued testing this map and it is has been 100% stable since I originally posted this OP. So I'll probably get it up on Steam sometime after Christmas. Still, any feedback between now and then would be appreciated.

Top Bottom