possible combat modifications

srpt

Deist
after playing a bunch of Rome Total War/Europa Barbarorum I had an idea to make Civ IV combat a bit more like the typical battles of that era, using regular Civ mechanics in different ways. today I finally got around to attempting to code it and it was easier than I thought and it seems to be working.

the change is this: all mounted units (cavalry or missile cavalry) get flank attacks on all non-mounted units, but only if the primary defender is a flanking target, and mounted units target other mounted units in the field. so, as so many of those battles went, if you defeat the enemy's cavalry and still have cavalry in the field you can flank your enemy's infantry.

no idea what the AI will do with this. we'll have to see.

I'm thinking of a couple of other changes too.

I'd like to make catapults purely siege weapons and give the field artillery role to archers. that would mean either only allowing catapults to attack cities and making them defenseless or (easier) having them be bombard only.

I thought making mounted units unable to attack cities with walls might also be interesting. the horse nomads would penetrate into civilized lands pillaging and looking for an un-walled city rather than just hammering away at Samarkand as they do.

Seems interesting.
For catapults, I would go with the first option. They're nearly useless in defence anyway.

I agree that catapults should attack only cities but replacing them with archers -to attack other units- will make them extremely strong and I can already imagine games that one will build many archers for suicide attacks .. Maybe if they have a minor effect , like hitting for 0.1 or 0.2 of the other unit's hp, would be better..

I recommend adding a scorpion unit as the primary collateral damage weapon that targets other units

But yeah, your thoughts seem great and unique

what I would like to do with archers is have their 1st strikes apply even if they are not the primary defender. I will see if I can figure out how to code that.

thanks. that does look really interesting.

I'm going to wait with these changes. I want the mod completely balanced, no known bugs and all the art finished first. But I still want to do it.

and to really implement those ideas, you'd need to separate attack and defense strengths I think.

Top Bottom