REFERENCE: How to alter text files and keep a change log of what's been altered.

CivAnon

I am a merciful God.
I recently posted this in the W2K7 - ID@ES initial preview thread and decided that I would post it here also as a reference guide.

I know that everyone has their own method for changing text files and keeping a log of their changes but here is the easiest way I know of. Instead of trying to remember what changes I made or write them down I use the method that follows.

Below is a screenshot of the method I use to alter text files and keep a change log of what text I've altered. This is great for trial and error because you don't have to exit out of the game for text changes to occur. Placing them side-by-side made it much easier. Please note that ['Operational Range'] doesn't have a ['Equal (=) '] sign because I didn't change it's text. The same is true of ['Abilities'] and ['Air Superiority Radius'] as well.

IMPORTANT- Always make back-up copies of your files before making any changes.

Step by Step Instructions (my method):

(1.) Decide which text file(s) you want to change and make a copy of it.

(2.) Rename the copy you just made by placing [Change Log] at the end of the file. (click the image above for for an example)

(3.) Open up both files and separate them as you see in the image above and start civ.

(4.) Go to the start up screen and decide single or multiplayer.

(5.) After making your decision click description or go directly into a game and access the Civilopedia.

(6.) After making any changes save both files (you don't have to close them) and then access the Civilopedia to view the changes.

Note some of the text changes in the images below.

If anyone would like for me to elaborate I will gladly update the steps above with more details.

Top Bottom