Soren comments on the forums

arkammler

Chieftain
On Apolyton

actually, there is firepower in Civ4 (meaning, the amount of damage a unit does (in hit points) is relative to their strength...) I wouldn't say that combat has been simplified - I wouldn't say it's more complex either. It IS significantly different, though.

One huge group of just one type is definetly not the way to go in Civ4...

there are three game speeds: quick (mostly for mp), normal (a little faster than Civ3), epic (a bit slower than Civ3)... and of course, it's all configurable via xml, so you can have whatever speed you like. (or some weird hybrid... you could make unit construction really fast but building construction really slow...)

On CFC

certain units might get, for example, a bonus defending cities...

Tell me what you think.

if I want to make changes will I need to do that directly in xml or will there be an interface for the programmer ******ed like me. Xml, is that not the new standard of html?

XML can also be used to store data. Modifying it for other programs I've used is rather easy, takes no programming skills at all... if one can manage to play a complicated game like Civ then managing something like this should be easily accomplished. ;)

Correct. XML is just text (like html). For example, you might see a tag like:

Code:
<UnitAttribute>:Strength.5</UnitAttribute>

Changing the '5' to '6' is all you need to do to change the strength. Hopefully, there'll be an editor to remove the need to even edit the xml directly, but you still have the option to do it directly, which could be more powerful.

oh sweet... I know the basics. So something like <game>turns .400</game> could easily become any number I wish.... I like... I like very much. Now I just hope they make it easy to find those things and I hope I remember to back up my files... jaajajajjaja

You don't need Firaxis to give you an editor.

You can download XML editing programs free (I forget the name of the really good one).

Snoopy said:
You don't need Firaxis to give you an editor.

You can download XML editing programs free (I forget the name of the really good one).
You can also use Notepad for editing it, especially if you only plan to change values. When you're thinking of adding stuff to the game you might indeed be better of with a real xml-editor.

Top Bottom