The game hates me

Bushface

Deity
I've posted elsewhere about the rotten starts I get 90% of the time, but my latest game looked OK initially and then everything went horribly wrong.
A reasonably-shaped pangaea, with my capital on the north-east coast and grassland. But no hills, no flood plains, and only a tiny little river, so little production. One other colony to my south, the others well away. I now have four other cities on very similar terrain: I have "revealed" all the strategic resources: and what have I got ? One deposit of 10 Firaxite, two of titanium (7 and 3, same city), no petroleum, geothermal or xenomass. Of the basic resources I have 8 resilin, 2 fruit, and 1 fibre: no others. Judging by their requests for titanium my opponents have none, though their scores are pretty close to mine (except poor little Elodie with her one city).
So how can I expand or develop towards my intended domination victory ? A fair proportion of my science has come from killed aliens; five worms so far, and two more visible - which will doubtless destroy some of my improvements, as did their predecessors. Trade? Wish I could, but all my opponents lurk behind trade-proof barriers, mostly of miasma within their borders but some of canyons and mountains, and the only station I can reach yields only culture. True, some trade by sea would be possible, but the oceans positively seethe with sea-dragons and krakens. Conquest? With my puny army of marines and artillery against cities of strength 40+ ?
What can I be doing wrong ? I read of good players winning in turn two-hundred-and-something, while I'm at turn 175 with a score of 350 and a capital static at pop.12 producing a remarkable 37 per turn, mostly from internal trade. And that's at Sputnik level.

Ya that's frustrating. Truth is the difficulty level is often just a random game of chance. Krakens absolutely ruin aquatic starts.

Top Bottom