The Shinto Shrine (Shinto Religous Order)

Chieftess

Retired Moderator

(No, Michiko isn't Hi no Rei of Sailor Moon fame. :p)

Michiko belongs to one of the new religous orders in Japanatika, "Shintoism". This is the place where one would often find Michiko, tending to animals, and taking care of the shrine. She welcomes all kinds of visitors. Her grandfather, Okakura Sakamiya (岡倉 坂宮) (last name is literally, "slope and old shinto shrine"), runs the shrine, and is one of a few hundred shinto priests.

"Michiko!", said grandpa, a bit surprised to see her home so early. "Why aren't you out with your friend, Riko?". "Grandpa, she has betrayed me today. I feel she has been poisoned by someone's charm. I shall go to the inner shrine and pray.".

Michiko was in prayer for an hour, and drifted off to sleep. She had another nighmare, this time, the kitten that she brought to Riko was in a room with Riko and a man. The kitten grew into a huge tiger, and devoured Riko, whilst the man and the tiger walked out of the room. Michiko woke up with a start. "Could this man be Asano?". She recalled hearing that name from the night before. She sensed something ominous about this man in the dream. Something was not quite right...

Thos wanders into the temple, tired from a long day of work, his thick arms hanging listlessly at his sides. He bows down and offers a prayer to Susano, brother of the goddess Amaterasu. "Susano, you once slew the great Eight-Headed Serpent. Your battle-mastery is unmatched. Grant me favor in the Legion tournament and let your ways guide me. Let me someday meet my Kushinada, and protect my sister while I forge." Thos has long wandered the city looking for a place of respite and he feels oddly at peace here. After the tournament, he hopes to return to give thanks.

The Buddhists in Japanatica urge that you abandon the attachment of seeking gods through polytheistic rituals in order to gain something. The greed has corrupted all the shintos into feeding into the suffering.

OOC: Cultural Note - Buddhists and Shintoists co-exist peacefully in Japan. There's often Buddhist shrines in people's houses with bits and pieces of Shintoism in it.

Chieftess said:
OOC: Cultural Note - Buddhists and Shintoists co-exist peacefully in Japan. There's often Buddhist shrines in people's houses with bits and pieces of Shintoism in it.

In fact it is very common to see shinto shrines within Buddist temples. The Japanese have a saying that Buddism is for death (funerals, praying for ansecestors etc) and Shinto is for life (good crops, marriage etc). So yes they complement one another.

[Edit] sorry if I'm not supposed to post here.

Michiko was praying in the shrine in Immo (She went with her grandfather for a visit - thus the hiatus) when she heard foreign noises. Not Babylonian, but Iroquois. This shrine was on a hilltop, which gave her a great vantagepoint of the battle, and the slaughtering of the Iroquois warriors who didn't even stand a chance. Meanwhile, she watched another band of warriors pillage and destroy the rice fields by the floodplains. Tonight she would pray again for sure. The night before, she did have another bad dream, but slightly different. Riko wasn't in this one, but Asano was...

Jack went to pray to the battle goddess that he would go good in a future battle against the Iroquois and that he might be a good solider.And honorable to Japanatica.He offered pork and was walking out when he bumped into Michicko she asked ewhat he was doing and he told her what he prayed.

Top Bottom