[NFP] Three Medium-Sized Ideas

Tempestfury

Chieftain
As the title says, just a few ideas I would love to see made. One of them I don’t think would be too hard to implement, maybe? But the others, I think could be rather time-consuming. Not particularly tricky if you know what your doing (which I don’t and I don’t even know where to start), but time-consuming nonetheless.

1. Give Coasts and Lakes Breathtaking Appeal

The reasoning behind this mod is 2 fold, small but critical in its use. Firstly, by giving Coast and Lake Tiles Breaktaking Appeal, it allows for greater flexibility in the placement of National Parks in late-game scenarios. Making it easier to use this Modern Era boost to Tourism, and extra Amenities. I don’t know if Naturalists can make National Parks on the water, however, so if this is allowed, it should be important to ensure that someone can’t just slap down a national park only on the water, that’s just silly.

Secondly, it allows for greater use in regards to the Preserve District. Mountain Tiles are the most reliable way to gain the full benefit of a Preserve, but without mods, only the Incans can really make use of this. By making Coastal and Lake Tiles automatically Breathtaking, however, a lot more civilizations can make strong use out of the extra Yields that the Preserve can offer a city, as well as giving Coastal Cities a slight buff in their potential faith or culture generation. This is especially useful when you’re playing a map with several smaller islands as well, as the Preserve can help turn these islands into more meaningful places to settle.

Of course, if this turns out to be too powerful, the mod can easily be nerfed by simply giving water tiles a Charming Appeal instead, reducing both the Tourism from National Parks and other Yields from a Preserve. Yet, still allowing them to be used for the previously mentioned functions.

2. Secret Societies Choice.

I rather enjoy the Secret Societies mode. I love the different strengths and focuses of the Secret Societies as well. The Sanguine Pact has one of the most powerful and sturdy units in the game, while also having a unique castle for some potent yields. The Owls of Minerva allow you to dominate the envoy game and give you incredibly strong economic and cultural boons. The Voidspeakers give you incredible faith and turn that faith into science, culture and gold. And finally, the Hermetic Order is... there. I guess.

The problem is... there’s no real choice or nuance to the Secret Societies. They are just there. Buffing you up permanently. They tend to be extremely linear in how they work. Sanguine Pact lays down strong castles and uses the Vampires to murder people. The Voidspeakers want as much faith as possible. The Owls of Minerva want commercial hubs for trade routes to City-States. Beyond the luck factor in which Secret Society you might even be able to get, they don’t add much, if anything, to the games strategic element.

Hence the idea of this mod: Expanding the Secret Societies so that after the first, key ability. You have a choice of at least two different promotions during the upgrade eras... and you can only choose one of them. Once the choice has been made, you cannot take it back...

This would add a lot more nuanced and strategic choice to the Secret Societies mode that it is quite frankly lacking, and can really help flesh out the game and empower the strategies you want for the civ. Not to mention each Secret Society already has two different perks as it is, so why not focus on and sharpen these two different identities?

The Sanguine Pact, for example, could be split between options that focus on the Vampires themselves, making them stronger and more dangerous to face. Or, they could focus on the Vampire Castles, trading out on their Vampire Army in order to have these incredibly strong tile improvements that only get stronger in time.

The Voidspeakers give you the Old Gold Obelisk, giving you extra faith and a great works slot. So why can’t we work with that? Have one side focused on faith, and turning it into other means of power, and the other side makes it easier to gain great works (preferably relics) and makes them stronger for your civilization.

The Owls of Minerva could have options that give you more power depending on how many envoys you have or city-states you are Suizen off, or they could make your trade routes stronger, especially when trading to other Owls of Minerve cities - including your own.

The Hermetic Order could be made stronger too, either by having a stronger focus on the Great Person side of their society or by unlocking the power to create leylines, giving you access to that adjacency bonus buff where you want it to be! But of course, these new leylines won’t get the Great People yield buffs, sacrificing the consistency for control...

All in all, I think it’s a real shame that there’s been no mod-work done on the Secret Societies so far. They have a lot of untapped potential to really flesh out the strategic layer of Civ 6, instead of being a generic boost that you pick up and then don’t really think about again. And I would love to see something like this created someday.

3. More Economical Heroes.

Heroes & Legends Mode. A mode where you can encounter Heroes by a wide variety of means, and if no one else has claimed them, you’ll be able to grab them and have them be your own, constantly recalling them era by era - if you have the Faith to do so - and giving you a wide array of powerful units and abilities at your beck and call!

So why are there only 3, maybe 5 worthwhile heroes that aren’t simply just ‘you are better at fighting now?’ Hercules gives you increased speed in building Districts, absolutely amazing for young cities without much production. Himiko gives you the ability to dominate the Envoy game, potentially gain extra faith, and can give you a hecking load of soldiers for free if you need to. Maui meanwhile, is absolutely insane in the amount of bonus and luxury resources he can give you, easily giving you multiple industries and corporations if you use him well and on the right tiles.

After those three through, 1/4 of the total heroes, the economic use of the heroes plummets rapidly. Sinbad is great for early exploration, giving you massive chunks of gold, era score for finding other civilizations, and can easily grab you the first circumnavigation of the world. But once you’ve done all that... that’s it, nothing more permanent than that. Same with Anansi, you can use her aggressively, taking away resources from enemies and turning them into chunks of science and culture. But she only has so much steam, and you’re taking away the chance to take those resources for yourself by activating conquering those cities. Or culture bonding them. Not all that appealing.

Why are less than 1/2 of the heroes any use to a peaceful player? It really lessens the fun and impact of the game mode, when so many of them have a strictly military use. So I’m really hoping to see a mod that can make this game mode more enjoyable for all. Some should still be entirely militaristic of course, but not all of them.

King Arthur for example, didn’t just have his Knights, but Merlin and Queen Guinevere, and was a fair, just ruler. Why not give him some bonuses when it comes to gaining Great People for example? Seems fitting for such a Legendary King. Oya is a Hero of Storms and Destruction, so why not have her be a Soothsayer, but actually granting fertility to the lands? Maybe not volcanic eruptions, but storms and floods seem right up her alley. Sun Wukong is famous for the Journey to the West, a reflection of Buddhist teachings. So, give him powers focused on that. Maybe he can act like an Acoyatle, being able to spread Religion, and Evangelize your Religion? Maybe he can even give you a fifth tenant, beyond what the other Religions can do, furthering this focus?

And... that’s about it for my three ideas. Whew, I really did talk more than I meant to here didn’t I? I really hope someone takes these ideas and makes mod of them someday, or points me in the direction of learning how to make them myself. Regardless, I hope whoever read this enjoyed the ideas I presented, and have a wonderful day!

Top Bottom