Where is my best defensive forward settle

andersw

Emperor
So with authority Iroquois there will be a brutal window of UU spam, but if I can avoid it ... not on forest tiles.
Still that is a rough window on almost any difficulty.
I have a choice to forward settle (and really make sure to get hit by him)...

Which spot (orange numbers 1-5) would you say is most easy to defend?
3 and 5 are next to forest tiles , 4 doesnt look safe either.
I feel its mostly 1 or 2, there is a convenient river all along the western side.

There is of course the chance he will just simply swarm the spot and run around.
CS 17, cover 1 UU for free have done that before in previous games.

(You also see further planned spots for my other cities.)

upload_2022-3-24_17-22-32.png

I like 4 best. The others don't really have any where to put your defensive units and have pretty big arcs attacking the city. That isn't really an issue with just melee unit but if they bring up siege in any number it could be an issue. With 4 you can put a melee unit on flood wheat NW then 3 archers behind the city and one in the city. They won't do that much damage to the UU but it will be enough to force them back. If it looks like they might flank you have space for more archers in the desert area as well on both sides.

On another topic entirely you probably should have moved onto the marble to settle, as it would gain you a lot of free production for 1 turn of movement.

I like 4 best. The others don't really have any where to put your defensive units and have pretty big arcs attacking the city. That isn't really an issue with just melee unit but if they bring up siege in any number it could be an issue. With 4 you can put a melee unit on flood wheat NW then 3 archers behind the city and one in the city. They won't do that much damage to the UU but it will be enough to force them back. If it looks like they might flank you have space for more archers in the desert area as well on both sides.

On another topic entirely you probably should have moved onto the marble to settle, as it would gain you a lot of free production for 1 turn of movement.

Thanks, very good point regarding 4.
Yes I considered the marble settle, it would have delayed access to the gold tile east, either way its a very good spot, thats epic speed T36 pyramids!

Yes location 4 was disgusting good for defence.
My initial thought was that it had too many spots for enemy siege/archers but free room behind my city was more important.

I concur with 4 as my choice. You could start with 4 archers on the hill tiles with the 3 archers along the river getting defense bonuses from the hills and the river so can get some shots in as the enemy aproach and as 4 is also a hill that means the archer there can at least hit the buffalo tile as can the city if you have walls.

If you have to move back then a line of archers in the desert should be well protected and have free shots at the enemy before they can get to the archers as there is desert after the forest tiles by 3 which will remove there movement points, stepping over the river and onto the hill tiles will remove all their action points and the other part of the river where it bends by the mountain will remove their action points if the cross it also so your archers should have a field day making extremely hard for the enemy to get anywhere near your city without taking a lot of damage.

If the iroquois seemed persistance i would get some roads your units can use also so they can move more freely in the desert.

Top Bottom