[GS] Which Leader (or Civ) do you Think is Overpowered and Needs a Nerf?

Which Leader is Overpowered to you?

• Matthias Corvinus (Hungary)

Votes: 16 27.1%
  • Kupe (The Maori)

Votes: 21 35.6%
  • Wilfrid Laurier (Canada)

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • Mansa Musa (Mali)

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Pachacuti (Inca)

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • Kristina (Sweden)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Suleiman (Ottomans)

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • Dido (Phonecia)

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Eleanor of Aquitaine (France Alternate)

• Eleanor of Aquitaine (England Alternate)

• Total voters
Well, only if you know how to leverage the UU against your opponent to farm xp. It likely wouldn't fly vs humans.

After around 20 MP games, I can attest that they certainly don’t fly against humans... on the offensive...., no human player will allow them to live and their range is pretty easy to lock them down. Also, the Inca need to be careful with their mountains as it can be open invitation into their city..
It does make the Inca quite good at being isolationist though, I tend to stay away from them because having their UU in a city is a pain haha. And mountains help their science a lot

I can only assume the 4 votes for Canada are jokes, I did that at first as he is pretty useless, but then changed my vote to the Maori who are beasts

I never understand why people claim X is overpowered when Australia, Persia, and Nubia haven't even been touched since inception. Why do those three get a free pass compared to Hungary or the Maori?

That said, I agree the Maori seem a fair bit stronger than the rest, especially since their "weaknesses" are barely detrimental. I first played Maori after Canada and was surprised at the gulf between the two civilizations.

I tend to view OP as meaning little effort needs to be put in for them to win. I think the closest here is the Maori(though I didn't think about Hungry's timing issue, that certainly raises some concerns, but at least it takes some work to pull off).

Maori get the points because if they manage to get a decent location they don't need to improve tiles. Everything basically just works with little need for the player to do much of anything. The Ocean start is the only hiccup and while I think it makes them less noob friendly than Rome and Sumeria, it doesn't make them less powerful. In my Maori game I basically never needed to build workers. Forest and Rain Forest are more productive if left alone. The Toa are pretty ridiculous. No Iron needed. Just kick ass. The boosted strength + debuff + fort + No gold Maintenance is just too much, particularly when combined with no iron. Culture and Faith on unimproved features + production on Forest and Rain Forest +Chichen Itza makes Rain Forest tiles absolutely bananas. Speaking of bananas, their inability to clear is actually pretty detrimental if you are a more peaceful builder type player. District and Wonder placement can be a real pain when you have bananas everywhere like I did. I actually found that more annoying than the Great Writer thing to be honest. I wasn't expecting to, but boy were those bonus resources in all the wrong spots.

That said the nerf I would throw at Maori would be to weaken the Toa's base strength. Let them rely on tactics by stacking their debuff and their forts. Give them lessened str like 32 or 34 vs the standard 36. They would still be stronger at base thanks to the -5 debuff, but it wouldn't be the stomp fest it is now. It would also mean Legions would be slightly stronger for having an iron requirement and a gpt cost. Really it is the Toa I see as tipping the balance for them. The other stuff is good, but there are drawbacks(no writers, no clearing). The Toa though basically has no drawbacks. It is just a gigantic beat stick.

I never understand why people claim X is overpowered when Australia, Persia, and Nubia haven't even been touched since inception. Why do those three get a free pass compared to Hungary or the Maori?

That said, I agree the Maori seem a fair bit stronger than the rest, especially since their "weaknesses" are barely detrimental. I first played Maori after Canada and was surprised at the gulf between the two civilizations.

Because OP is way overused.

Hungary's levy bonus

Maori's Toa

Nubia's pitati archers

Sumeria's War carts

Did you mass the Incan Unique unit and use the 100% recon experience card?

It does make a difference if you think of these stratagems. I probably would not have thought of that card if you hadn't mentioned it.

Nerf others like Genghis or Nubia before the new ones.
The noobs are not as OP as them or Rome or Sumeria... or even Pericles.
There is not a none of them option.

Is Kupe that OP? They are really fun to play and so flexible but the moment they land and see a Genghis trade route coming their way things get tricky, or rushed by 3 pitati archers.

Is Kupe that OP? They are really fun to play and so flexible but the moment they land and see a Genghis trade route coming their way things get tricky, or rushed by 3 pitati archers.
I agree, Maori are very high variance which is fun.

Totally agree that weaker Civs should be buffed before anything else is done.

Balanced new civs are Ottomans, Didon, Sweden.

Very overpowered new civ : Incas, Hungary and Maori.

It's clear when you play them.
I finally got around to trying that out, but while they are very powerful offensively they are flimsy. Enemy knights kill them in one attack even when they are rank 4.

I finally got around to trying that out, but while they are very powerful offensively they are flimsy. Enemy knights kill them in one attack even when they are rank 4.

... I hope you are talking Warak'aq not Toas ... Toas do well against knights... all they have to do is battlecry and its +4 in their favour, Oli legacy +8, friend next door +13 ... yuk... GG anyone?
The Warak'aq ability to shoot then move is highly abusive but I agree... still below a knight, as long as you can see the little fella's.

Last edited:
Top Bottom