Yello

Never played the map myself, but on Huge maps it's very useful to pick a civilization with the Expansionist trait. Chances are you'll stumble across loads and loads of huts - and without the risk of Barbarians popping out, you're in for a lot of free techs, units, maps, gold and Settlers :)

Plus, Scouts are much better than Warriors at scouting (doh), so you'll discover a lot of landmass before your opponents, and can trade your World Map for other valuable stuff.

Originally posted by Berrern
Chances are you'll stumble across loads and loads of huts - and without the risk of Barbarians popping out.

I've been meaning to ask about this - the "no chance of barbarians popping out", is it determined by the unit you use to pop the hut (ie a non-combat unit with 0 attack / 0 defence)? Or is it an Expansionist trait?

The expansinist trait keeps them from poping out barbs.

I have a question-can a civ without the expansinist trait build a scout

Originally posted by whitecow
I have a question-can a civ without the expansinist trait build a scout

No, at least not in vanilla Civ3 (which I'm playing; v.1.29f).
Don't know about PTW and C3C though - but I think it's the same there.

Check out this link

Its an SG on a huge map, you'll pick up lots of good pointers from these players.

A couple things I'll add:

1. Have a powerful computer unless you like doing something else while playing Civ
2. Tell your wife/girlfriend you'll be working on a project for the next couple of months
3. Plan on surviving on 3-4 hours sleep the rest of the year
4. Enjoy the game :D

About the game:
1. Build cites, then more cities and then more cities
2. Look for a start on a river with a food bonus (not an FP) for a good 4-turn settler factory
3. Choose America - the expanionist trait for your AA techs and Industrious for faster workers
4. Build at least 4 scouts
5. Have each city build a worker asap, then go to normal builds
6. You won't have a corruption problem for the first couple of ages, so don't bother with courthouses
7. If you pop a hut and get a city, don't disband it if it's in a bad place right away, wait until the city limit has been reached and sacrifice it to get a city in a place you want
8. The limit on cities is 512 keep building them until you reach the limit, then have a extra 1-2 settlers and try to build a new city each turn, in case one of the AI's got razed
9. Start building military with a unit you can upgrade, because you won't be fighting until the late middle ages
10. Choose faster units as you will need them to reach your opponents in under 10 turns
11. Don't plan on a domination or culture type win, they are very tough to get. You might not be able to ever get enough land to reach 67% and getting 2x culture on an AI is tough unless you kill the larger ones
12. Skip research for the AA, let your hut popping get you science, but remember you can't get the tech you are researching, so research an optional tech to allow the huts to get you the middle ages (caveat to this is be sure to get a government tech before leaving the AA as they take a long time to research and are valuable in trades)
13. Expect to be behind in tech in the middle ages to at least a couple of AI as they'll be trading techs around faster than you can
14. Try to keep continents isolated from each other and be the trade broker between them
15. Once the wars break out, make sure you get your other neighbors as allies, cause if you don't your opponents will
16. Encourage wars on the other islands, it gives the AI's something to do with their troops and distracts them from research (and cuts down on tech trading)
17. Try to get a dogpile on your #1 opponent
18. If you find yourself on the bottom of a dogpile, defend against the stronger opponents and attack the weaker ones, Try for peace with the stronger after 4-5 turns, but keep beating on the weak ones until the ask for peace, then get cities as tribute.
19. Until Combustion, ships are only needed for transportation and exploration, so ignore frigates & ironclads
20. In the end game, if going for a military win, expect to need bombardment units (artillery, battleships, bombers & nukes) to take the size 20+ cites the AI will have.

That's a nice little 20 pack, so enjoy, have fun and remember it's only a game...

I didnt know that I have 16 civs im the greeks and im stuck in patigonia with colinoies in america and Japan. The Aztecs are dead and eygyt is almost dead and im in the industrial age.

Originally posted by denyd
Check out this link

Its an SG on a huge map, you'll pick up lots of good pointers from these players.

A couple things I'll add:

1. Have a powerful computer unless you like doing something else while playing Civ

I have noticed it is less about POWER than it is about RAM. Late in a huge map with lots of civs, my ram usage can easily hit 900+ Megs. It thrashes the pagefile and that is what really slows it down. I have even had out of memory errors ("unable to allocate draw buffer").

I'm upgrading this laptop to 1Gig of memory or even more soon. My desktop only has 512...need to upgrade that as well

512 megs to little for huge maps? Eeek.
*looks worriedly at the 312 x 312 map I just started on*
I need an upgrade!

Top Bottom