You can win with just one city

Civ2tipmaster

Chieftain
For the ardent Civ2 fanatic, playing anything other the Deity level is just not worth it. One of the strategies I find works best is to keep your empire small but quickly racking up the wonders. I have managed to have an exceptionally powerful empire with only one city when going with the English and building just London. But to make this work you must at all costs build the following wonders:

The Colossus
Copernicus' Observatory
Isaac Newton's College
Shakespeare's Theatre

Also if you can add The Great Library and King Richard's Crusade you it will make your task that much easier. This city will essentially be equivalent to three or four average cities and will put you in good stead to stay ahead in the sciences.

The strategy should be get Shakespeare's theatre ASAP and go for the Democratic system, you will then be advancing through the sciences at an exceptional rate, be sure to put your luxury rate up to get your city to its maximum size quickly.

I prefer playing with no spaceships and to be honest if you don't do this you are unlikely to stand a chance as the other civs will just beat you to it due their size. The strategy has to be total military domination by building a huge offensive army, lets say 25 howitzers with another 5 armors, with this you can begin an invasion of the other civs and take over 4 or 5 cities in the initial strike, then we you take over these new cities you should get them producing military units ASAP, within a few turns you could easily have a force big enough to take over the other civs. This game playing style is exciting, as you see this one city soon expanding and taking over 10-20 city civs in as little as 10 turns.

You will never win using one city by the point system, as the population is just too small. It is also very important to get your trade routes established quickly to increase your city's trade and also this will allow you excel in the sciences with speeding up the discoveries every time a caravan arrives at a city, as always the bigger and further the cities are the better the returns. Also you might want to consider changing the terrain to mines to give you huge resource capacity but do this when nearing the end of discoveries.

Try this strategy out if you haven't already and let me know how you get along or if you have own tips on playing one city civs let me know.

Hope you found this strategy useful, hoping to post many more
http://www.civ2tips.blogspot.com/

Welcome Civ2tipmaster. It is great to have another Civ2 fan here.

The strategy you refer to was discovered years ago by Paul van den Belt and named OCC: One City Challenge. Many contests were held and he wrote a guide to it. I am in the process of writing a new guide which you can see in the same strategy forum that you posted.

OCC differs from your strategy in that you stay with one city to the end and beat the rivals by landing your space ship. An alternate strategy called OCCC (OCC by Conquest) has been tried by some super players but I do not believe a guide has ever been written. Even in OCCC players stick to the one city rule by the end and raze rival cities instead of conquering them. If you want a log of such a game see if you can dig up Kev's GOTM 19 from the archives (search for the thread GOTM 19 Spoiler and look at entries by kev). OCCC never attracted much interest compared to OCC which has had its ardent fans.

You are obviously a good Civ2 player but like all of us you will have a lot to learn from this forum. Every single one of us was amazed at the wealth of knowledge we did not know about the game we loved when we first discovered this site (or Apolyton). Keep some saves and logs; stick around here for a few months; and then be amazed by how much your game has improved. The best way to learn is by joining the ongoing GOTMs: Game Of The Month. The September one, GOTM 126, is a very challenging scenario. Download it, start playing, and report your progress in GOTM 126 spoiler thread.

One of the things I noted when reading your post was your referral to Great Library as an important wonder to have and lack of any mention of Marco. It is safe to say that under typical circumstances Marco is considered the most important wonder to have not just by OCC players but early landing and early conquest players as well. Great Library by contrast is never on the list of wonders to have. Do not despair. This is a common misconception. There is plenty of material on the subject. Read for yourself and find out why. Here is a starting point:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=10886819&postcount=5

Thats interesting, I dont usually go straight for Marcos, interesting why I have never given it that much thought.

OCCC never appealed to me, spaceships just bore me, is that wrong? So people have actually won with one city on Deity level with spaceships? Seriously?

I think I'll have a read of some of the posts you are referring to.

I wish I still had my civ2 game because I'd like to try this OCC strategy. I've done the old spaceship OCC and won in the late 1700's, but this taking over the world after OCC is news to me. Thank you Civ2tipmaster for sharing.

It's only tedious to wait for the right conditions to come about to win with that city. While I'm sure most of us could easily do so.

What do you mean by the "right conditions to come"? We have been playing and winning OCC in all sorts of conditions. These are not staged games.

Top Bottom