Denmark Civilization and Scenario Pack and Explorers Map Pack due for may 3rd

I think it's a poor choice to make this a Danish civilization, and include Norway (and other Nordic countries?) under this moniker. If that's the case, then Canada, Australia, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales etc. could just as well be included through England, Ukraine, Belarus, Latvia, Estonia, Poland etc. through Russia, and so forth.

I'm fine with a Danish civilization, as long as it can stand on its own two feet. If Oslo is one of their cities, and one of the UU is called Norwegian Ski Infantry, then clearly it can't, and it would be better to name the civ something else (Viking, Nordic, Scandinavia, Kalmar Union, Denmark-Sweden).

So Sydney and Quebec are in to accomodate the Vikings.....the problem is their music isn't changed. If Seoul is going to be replaced for the Koreans, I really wonder which Asian city will take its place. Hmmmm. :p

I found Harald Bluetooth to be an interesting choice. I would've gone with Cnut, since he was without a doubt the greatest of the early Scandinavian kings (and the first to form an empire), but I can understand their decision -- Harald is more "Viking-y" as a convert from paganism, whereas Cnut was clearly Christian. Cnut's certainly more "civilized" in terms of possessing qualities one looks for in a Civ-game leader. But Bluetooth is still an adequate selection.
I'm very bad in Scandinavian history, but wasn't Bluetooth the one that united Denmark and Norway under one flag, reorganised the Norseman's army and started a big wave of raids into England?
And I thought Cnut, although it was a big empire, he and his brother both inherited parts of the empire and he reconquered it whole again?
So Bluetooth: Empire-former, Cnut: Inheritance 'reorganiser'.

Mind you, as a Dutchman my Danish/Norwegian/English history-knowledge is a bit Swiss-cheesy :p

I'm very bad in Scandinavian history, but wasn't Bluetooth the one that united Denmark and Norway under one flag, reorganised the Norseman's army and started a big wave of raids into England?
And I thought Cnut, although it was a big empire, he and his brother both inherited parts of the empire and he reconquered it whole again?
So Bluetooth: Empire-former, Cnut: Inheritance 'reorganiser'.

Mind you, as a Dutchman my Danish/Norwegian/English history-knowledge is a bit Swiss-cheesy :p

Bluetooth didn't exactly unite Norway and Denmark... he schemed with the Norwegian Jarl Hakon to murder King Harald Greycloak of Norway. Jarl Hakon then reigned as de facto King of Norway, but with Bluetooth as a sort of distant senior partner in the relationship, until Hakon was ousted by Olaf Tryggvason.

Harald Bluetooth wasn't responsible for the big significant raids of Britain--that was mainly his son Svein Forkbeard, Cnut's dad.

As for Cnut, he conquered England, inherited Denmark, and then conquered Norway and parts of Sweden--in that order... as well as vassalizing various other areas of Europe. Cnut was the real empire-builder.

Strangely enough, the map pack sounds more interesting to me than the Vikings, and that's just opposite of how I normally feel. From it's description, I'll definately be getting the map pack and the Vikings DLC both.

Firaxis/2K must love fools like me. :)

I haven't bought any maps, but if there is good buzz about this pack then I'll probably get it.

Quebec can refer to both the city and the province. I have never heard it referred to as Quebec City and it sounds incredibly awkward that way, so I don't see why they wouldn't use the completely legitimate title of just simply Quebec.

Between 1608's foundation off the Cape by Champlain and the battle for supremacy on the Abraham Plains in 1759 & since... there's been a lot of traffic on the St-Lawrence seaway river which heads out to the Great Lakes (In Ontario & the USA) through Québec territories. Don't forget the American revolution Loyalists exodus to the townships (Sherbrooke, etc) - which couldn't take Québec.

If the city distinction isn't added, they might as well refer to Labrador as being a Newfoundland puppet region. Or confuse two London (UK or Ontario).

Province includes Montréal as much as the Magdalen islands in the gulf or even Nunavik in the north - first Nations (Crees & Inuits) owned, but whom just rejected a referendum of self-government instead of treaties & Bay-James conventions with Québec & indirectly (according to 1982's Constitution Act -- still unsigned by Québec, btw) Canada.

Why Quebec City, when not just Quebec? Eh?

Why Mexico City, when not just Mexico? Si? ;)

My parents honeymooned in Quebec City so I can tell that's generally what it's called; except if you're talking about a certain defunct NHL team.

Edit: P.S. And I for one welcome our Danish overlords!

Between 1608's foundation off the Cape by Champlain and the battle for supremacy on the Abraham Plains in 1759 & since... there's been a lot of traffic on the St-Lawrence seaway river which heads out to the Great Lakes (In Ontario & the USA) through Québec territories. Don't forget the American revolution Loyalists exodus to the townships (Sherbrooke, etc) - which couldn't take Québec.

If the city distinction isn't added, they might as well refer to Labrador as being a Newfoundland puppet region. Or confuse two London (UK or Ontario).

Province includes Montréal as much as the Magdalen islands in the gulf or even Nunavik in the north - first Nations (Crees & Inuits) owned, but whom just rejected a referendum of self-government instead of treaties & Bay-James conventions with Québec & indirectly (according to 1982's Constitution Act -- still unsigned by Québec, btw) Canada.
Excellently said!

Why Mexico City, when not just Mexico? Si? ;)
:lol: Now, why didn't i think of that obvious "situation"? Superb analogy.

Go to India... and you'll be quite lucky if you can find Bombay within now, Mumbai.
Head to the black sea and you'll even have trouble renaming Istanbul to Constantinople or Byzantium!

It's not like Hochelaga, Ville-Marie is instantly recognized as being a city once governed by Paul Chomedey de Maisonneuve -- in Montréal. ;)

History can be confusing if inaccurate.

My Korean isn't very good yet, but somewhere I read that the Korea DLC would be released within the year, so perhaps not yet. But it is a much requested feature among Koreans. For that reason also I think it will come free with a patch, like Mongolia.

Korea will be added. I would be very surprised if it wasn't.

It should have been named Denmark-Norway, then there would be no controversy!

When it comes to nationalism, it's absolutely impossible to not have controversy.

Why is it Denmark-Norway and not Norway-Denmark? :p

I think for a while that was actually the name of the country.

When it comes to nationalism, it's absolutely impossible to not have controversy.

Why is it Denmark-Norway and not Norway-Denmark?
Because D comes before N in the alphabet.

I think for a while that was actually the name of the country.

It was also just Denmark when Harald Bluetooth conquered it and that hasn't stopped people's complaints.

Head to the black sea and you'll even have trouble renaming Istanbul to Constantinople.

Well...

Istanbul is just the Turkish translation of Constantinople. After they invaded, the Turks just Turkicized all the Greek place names, doing a little syllable-swapping here and there. For many of them, they basically just took the major syllables and stuck an "I" prefix on the beginning. Look at some other examples:

Con-STAN-tino-PLE: i-STAN-BUL
SMYR-na: i-ZMIR
NIK-aea: iz-NIK
Nico-MED-ia: iz-MIT
KAI-SAR-eia: KAY-SER-i
A-DRI-AN-ople: E-DIR-NE

Aren't languages fun? :D

I thought it was because people would say they were going "to the city" (is tan ˈpolin in Greek).

I thought it was because people would say they were going "to the city" (is tan ˈpolin in Greek).

Yeah, I've heard that too. "Eis tan polin" is indeed what the Greeks would say when going into any city, really. Whether that's actually connected to the Turkish transliteration is difficult to say. The Turks weren't big Greek-speakers, and there is a pattern of Turkish syllabic shifting with the other city names that Istanbul follows. They aren't really changing the names of the cities at all... they're just pronouncing them oddly.

Top Bottom