Guess the New Civs

Question: what would be wrong with the Huns being in the game? Wouldn't that just presumably offer the chance for some fairly unique gameplay? What would be lost by having them as one of the nine new civs?

Slightly disappointed with inclusion of the Huns. I would have rather wanted Khazars from the region. Hopefully the Huns have some amazing uniques to make them fun and interesting Civ to play with...

I happy about every new Civilizations, my only disappointment with Huns is that now I don't think we'll see the Khazars (as they occupied pretty much the same region).

Attila the King :king: of Huns surely fits to the Gods & Kings theme and takes his place as a daunting and intimidating leader "feared" (a role I was hoping to go for Vlad Tepes of Romania).

Huns
Leader: Attila
Capital: N/A
Music Theme:
Unique Unit: Javelin Thrower. Replaces Sperman. Cost: 50. Strength: 8. Ranged Strength: 6. Range 2. Movement 3. Both melee and ranged unit.
Unique Unit2: Mounted Archery. Replaces Horseman. Cost: 80. Strength 10. Ranged Strength: 12. Movement 5. Has a Foreign Lands Bonus: Combat Bonus outside Friendly Territory (20).
Unique Ability: Scorched Earth. Units gain Double Experience from Combat. Also +25 Culture towards Social Policies from every Destroyed City and have unique ability to destroy Capital and City State cities, which gives +50 Culture to the Huns.

That is the current concept idea for the Huns in the list. Worth to check out the links*, but as the Huns did not have a capital, Attila's Court is made up worth the game. That is my other slight problem with the Civ. Though it opens a possibility for Sioux and other Civs which didn't build any cities to be included (for Sioux they could use the names of the tribes).

*Also; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleda
Attila and Bleda responded by renewing their campaign in 443. Striking along the Danube, they overran the military centers of Ratiaria and successfully besieged Naissus (modern Niš) with battering rams and rolling towers (military sophistication that was new to the Hun repertory), then, pushing along the Nisava, they took Serdica (Sofia), Philippopolis (Plovdiv) and Arcadiopolis (Luleburgaz). They encountered and destroyed the Roman force outside Constantinople and were only halted by their lack of siege equipment capable of breaching the city's massive walls. Theodosius admitted defeat and sent the court official Anatolius to negotiate peace terms, which were harsher than the previous treaty: the Emperor agreed to hand over 6,000 Roman pounds (ca. 1,963 kg) of gold as punishment for having disobeyed the terms of the treaty during the invasion; the yearly tribute was tripled, rising to 2,100 Roman pounds (ca. 687 kg) in gold; and the ransom for each Roman prisoner rose to twelve solidi.

Their demands met for a time, the Hun kings withdrew into the interior of their empire. According to Jordanes (following Priscus), sometime during the peace following the Huns' withdrawal from Byzantium (probably around 445), Bleda died (killed by his brother, according to the classical sources), and Attila took the throne for himself. A few sources indicate that Bleda tried to kill Attila first, to which Attila retaliated.

In 448, Priscus encountered Bleda's widow, then governor of an unnamed village, while on an embassy to Attila's court.

Battering rams and rolling towers could be the Hunnic unique units. Giving them a strong place as a siege civ...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huns

I was expecting the Huns (Fall of Rome scenario, ding ding), so people don't confuse them with the Mongols. An idea of movable capital is great, but could be, possibly, fairly unbalanced. The city name, however, implies something like that. Wonder what are the remaining three civs.

I am sure Zulu is one of them (Impi unit can be seen in the Great Prophet screenshot) so that leaves only two unknown civ spots... I believe those will be some new "fresh" Civs never before seen in the series OR (slight disappointment) and they will be Sumer and Hittites with Wonders of the Ancient World DLC abilities + leaders screens, I hope this isn't the case. If it will be, then we definitely need more DLC Civs! :D

Battering rams and rolling towers could be the Hunnic unique units. Giving them a strong place as a siege civ...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huns
If the Huns are in (which I personally doubt), then a siege unit would make sense.

One of the things that made the Huns so terrifying compared to contemporary civs like the Goths was that the Huns were able to lay siege to (Roman) cities.

Tyre is already a city state, but apparently it's being switched from military to commercial.

Yep, I only meant that because Tyre is on the screenshots, Phoenicia is out as a new civ for GK
(they didn't "upgrade" Tyre the way they did with Seoul)

but as the Huns did not have a capital, Attila's Court is made up worth the game. That is my other slight problem with the Civ.

Actually they had some sort of capital, it was located in present day Hungary
Probably in Tápiószentmárton (modern Hungarian name), at least there were that palace I posted a few posts above
I found an english article too: http://culture.hu/main.php?folderID=1094&articleID=257302&ctag=articlelist&iid=1

Unfortunately we don't know how the Huns called the area, maybe it was something similar, maybe not
In our Hun mod for Civ IV, we called the capital Tapiomart

Over at the screenshot analysis thread we are beginning to be certain of another civ:
It is yellow-orange in colour, think savannah. I lightened up the screenie and could more or less certainly identify two impi units with elongated shields, head dresses and all.

It must be the Zulu, no?

Could still be the Kongo Kingdom, though I doubt it.

Question: what would be wrong with the Huns being in the game? Wouldn't that just presumably offer the chance for some fairly unique gameplay? What would be lost by having them as one of the nine new civs?

Having a city called "Attila's Court" is a bit of a ... lets call it a trance breaker for me. I'm sure if the UA is interesting enough I'll mod it for some other civ to take advantage of.

I can think of plenty of horse based civs I'd prefer before the Huns (mostly, because the Huns have basically no cities).

Having a city called "Attila's Court" is a bit of a ... lets call it a trance breaker for me. I'm sure if the UA is interesting enough I'll mod it for some other civ to take advantage of.

I can think of plenty of horse based civs I'd prefer before the Huns (mostly, because the Huns have basically no cities).

Agreed
The lack of a proper Hunnic city list is certainly an issue

Huns
Leader: Attila
Capital: N/A
Music Theme:
Unique Unit: Javelin Thrower. Replaces Sperman. Cost: 50. Strength: 8. Ranged Strength: 6. Range 2. Movement 3. Both melee and ranged unit.
Unique Unit2: Mounted Archery. Replaces Horseman. Cost: 80. Strength 10. Ranged Strength: 12. Movement 5. Has a Foreign Lands Bonus: Combat Bonus outside Friendly Territory (20).
Unique Ability: Scorched Earth. Units gain Double Experience from Combat. Also +25 Culture towards Social Policies from every Destroyed City and have unique ability to destroy Capital and City State cities, which gives +50 Culture to the Huns.

This would be ridiculously OP. The javelin thrower is basically a bowman with 3 movement, and the latter is already a unit that makes winning early really easy (just build 5-6 of em, take your starting warrior and curbstomp anyone). The mounted archer is even worse, a Keshik that comes with HBR is just unstoppable at that point of the game (especially with the foreign legion bonus). And due to the UA they will be at logistics + march in no time (combined with honor they would have a 3,5X XP gain). Winning with this civ would be easier than it was with the horsemen when the game launched.

If the Huns are in (which I personally doubt), then a siege unit would make sense.

One of the things that made the Huns so terrifying compared to contemporary civs like the Goths was that the Huns were able to lay siege to (Roman) cities.

I'd agree with this.

but more generally -

I don't see how another 'horse+mostly mobile' 'civ' is a thing to cry about. It'd be hard to add any of the Steppe/plains civs (even with little 'settled' cities, they're still civs) if the Mongols were the only ones. That actually wipes out a lot of geographic area/history.

Adding more 'Longsword/gunpowder/rifle' civs would actually be 'worse' frankly. We've already got a lot of those.

Carthage's leader is Dido, Potential new civ "Huns" with city in Screenshot 1: Attila's court

Needless to say (from what I've said before), I'm extraordinarily disappointed with Dido. You have Theodra and Boudicca, you don't need Dido too. Plus, the other two were almost certainly real (while Dido, even if I'm being generous, is certainly uncorroborated except for by Roman fiction).

I agree, but wasn't the Celts' Brennus from Civ IV fictional too, or at least semi-mythical?

Needless to say (from what I've said before), I'm extraordinarily disappointed with Dido. You have Theodra and Boudicca, you don't need Dido too. Plus, the other two were almost certainly real (while Dido, even if I'm being generous, is certainly uncorroborated except for by Roman fiction).

Didn't stop the Hanging Gardens from making it in, or the Fountain of Youth, El Dorado, etc.

Hanging Gardens is one of the Seven Wonders of the World. While Herodotus possibly made some things up, he's generally relied upon as a source. Dido was used as part of a propaganda piece for pro-Roman literature so Virgil doesn't have the same credibility. You won't really get any argument for Fountain of Youth or El Dorado except that, with the rarity code, I don't usually see them in the game. I've heard somebody make the argument that the quest to find them is real (although possibly not) and the game is simply simulating that quest (especially, since, in most games, you won't find them, just like real life). Either way, two wrongs don't make a right and a natural wonder is less significant than a leader of one of my favorite civs.

I feel the same way with Brennus. Also with Ragnar. I'd been advocating Boudicca for a long time partially to replace Brennus (I also suggested Vercingetorix, but Boudicca made more sense for gender inclusion). I suggested Cnut instead of Ragnar, but I'm thrilled with Harald. I've also been adamant that Gilgamesh should not be the Sumerian leader and that was at least their own legend instead of a Roman one. Basically, I feel that Civilization was moving in the right direction and abandoning semi-mythological leaders and that this is a step back.

I do agree with you, but I'm not gonna let it get me down. I'm interested to see how they will talk about her in the Civilopedia entry.

My guess is they'll quote extensively from the Aeneid. I'm not going to be overly upset, but it's still a letdown.

I think Theodora was a poor choice but she's at least a real choice. Likewise, if they had selected Cleopatra, I would have felt the same way.

I might start begging modders to see if they're interested in crafting an alternative. However, there's an added complication in that I'll need to see if I can find a male Phoenician speaker (actually, on that note, I wonder if they'll go with Punic, Berber, or Tunisian Arabic).

Dido has more historical sources than just the Aeneid. Going by additional sources, it is entirely possible given the time period that she was the first ruler of Carthage, albeit probably embellished in certain respects.

Theodora decided to give her husband house arrest and become empress regnant of the Byzantine Empire!

Top Bottom