Guess the New Civs

The modern State of Israel is not to be confused with the Kingdom of Israel, a united monarchy that may or may not have existed in the southern Levant for a period of less than 100 years, some 3,000 years ago. As far as I know, the only evidence to support the existence of such a kingdom is found in the Hebrew Bible. I suppose you could make a case for the Kingdom of Israel being included as a playable Civ, but it will never happen. It's capital would have to be Jerusalem, which would be highly controversial, since present day East Jerusalem (i.e., Jerusalem proper) was illegally annexed by the modern State of Israel. It is internationally recognized as occupied Palestinian territory.

The united monarchy lasted about 100 years. But the Israelite kingdom lasted about 600 years, and was preceded by the the reign of the judges, which lasted several hundred years. Even after the Israelite kingdom fell, there was only a 70 year gap before Israelite exiles returned an established an autonomous principality under nominal Persian sovereignty. Eventually, Israel regained full independence under the Hasmonians, which lasted until the Roman era. End-to-end, ancient Israel as a discrete civilization lasted about 1200 years. That's much longer that most civilizations in the game.

[Note: eastern Jerusalem isn't internationally recognized as squat. It was supposed to be a UN protectorate in 1948; since that time, no binding resolution has ever transferred the territory's theoretical sovereignty to either Israel or the Palestinians. Israel annexed it, but to the world it's no man's land]

I don't really get all the Hun hate (besides, yes, the stupidly chosen 'Attila's Court' city name). Are people so mad at the inclusion of a civ that doesn't meet the standard idea of an empire?

The Huns had their own language, their own culture, introduced technological advancements into Europe regarding the compound bow, maintained diplomatic relations with surrounding powerful empires, had a sophisticated administration system, controlled a large amount of territory for a significant amount of time, and impacted world history with their conflict with Rome.

The steppe empires were important. Yes many didn't build cities (although most were to some degree only semi-nomadic), and because of this they don't fit the classic definition of what people think of in terms of an empire. So what? The only real annoyance is that they have to take some liberties to make them fit the gameplay mechanics, but I don't have a problem with them being represented. They weren't uncivilized despite not having cities.

I don't really get all the Hun hate (besides, yes, the stupidly chose 'Attila's Court' city name). Are people so mad at the inclusion of a civ that doesn't meet the standard idea of an empire?

The Huns had their own language, their own culture, introduced technological advancements into Europe regarding the compound bow, maintained diplomatic relations with surrounding powerful empires, had a sophisticated administration system, controlled a large amount of territory for a significant amount of time, and impacted world history with their conflict in Rome.

The steppe empires were important. Yes many didn't build cities (although most were to some degree only semi-nomadic), and because of this they don't fit the classic definition of what people think of in terms of an empire. So what? The only real annoyance is that they have to take some liberties to make them fit the gameplay mechanics, but I don't have a problem with them being represented. They weren't uncivilized despite not having cities.

I mostly am disappointed because I feel Khazaria was a much more powerful, long lived empire that settled down into large cities near the black and caspian seas and practiced Tengriism and Judaism, so this expansion seemed perfect. Huns will be fun, I personally hope they have a very unique UA so they play different from Mongols, also I imagine they will have a composite longbow UU and a ranged horse unit as well.

I mostly am disappointed because I feel Khazaria was a much more powerful, long lived empire that settled down into large cities near the black and caspian seas and practiced Tengriism and Judaism, so this expansion seemed perfect. Huns will be fun, I personally hope they have a very unique UA so they play different from Mongols, also I imagine they will have a composite longbow UU and a ranged horse unit as well.

I agree the Khazars would have been cool and something new (hopefully they can still show up down the road as DLC or in a later expansion), but I don't understand the extreme reaction of the Huns completely ruining the game so I'm not going to buy it now.

The Huns have marketable appeal. Everyone knows the Huns. Maybe they'll help sell the game, which could extend support a little longer and let one more DLC civ slip in...

I don't now whether or not these pictures are already taken into account (the thread is way to long for me to scan it in total) and I don't know whether or not the Huns can be called *confirmed* just because of this city name in the screen shot.

But what do you think about this pictures, taken out of an interview:

and with a better look on the guy to the right:

Here, we might have the cover art for G&K. The lady on the left (not the interviewer ;)) probably is Boudicca. But what about the guy on the right? Isn't this a Hun? IIRC, the cap is quite typical.

--

Edit: Oh well, while I prepared the images, this "news" was analyzed in a parallel thread. Too late to be the first... :(

BTW, and I'll put it here. As disappointed as I am that Dido is the leader of Carthage, I love her leader screen with the Cothon in the background. That's quite cool.

I wonder, given the addition of Attila and the Huns, if they're adding a Horse Archer unit (I'm thinking as a generic, although possibly as a Hun UU).

So, if the Huns are in (which I really hope is not the case), I'd wager a unique horse archer and a unique catapult (or some other siege weapon).

PCG: But there are a couple religious scenarios.

Beach: We have one that highlights the religion system and how to mod it. We have another one—the Celts and the Huns and the Byzantines—we’re introducing that set of three new civilizations and we decided that a fall of Rome scenario would be perfect. And then the third scenario we’re shipping with is an interesting departure. We actually have a steampunk Victorian-era science fiction scenario that’s an interesting departure from the usual historical fare.

Sounds like the Huns are definitely in to me.

Needless to say (from what I've said before), I'm extraordinarily disappointed with Dido. You have Theodra and Boudicca, you don't need Dido too. Plus, the other two were almost certainly real (while Dido, even if I'm being generous, is certainly uncorroborated except for by Roman fiction).

With inclusion of Boudica, Dido and Theodora we only have seven female leaders (Catherine, Elisabeth, Wu Zetian and Isabella) and about 25 male leaders. So the seven females definitely aren't too much. Adds some nice flavor and variety. :)

Here, we might have the cover art for G&K. The lady on the left (not the interviewer ;)) probably is Boudicca. But what about the guy on the right? Isn't this a Hun? IIRC, the cap is quite typical.

Very cool cover! Where can I buy a poster of that! :D
Yes, definitely Attila the Hun.

You mentioned spy’s intrigue system, which lets us peek at what the AI is planning. How will that work in multiplayer?

Beach: Yeah, intrigue doesn’t work in multiplayer. You picked up on that.

PCG: Is it completely turned off, or could we use it on AI opponents?

Beach: I think the current plan is just to have it turned off.

For me, this is worse than the Huns civ...I like to play with friends and not having all the possibilities of spionage is disappointing.

The Huns confirmed, 3 left right? Man i really expect that a modern civilization will be included.

No spy in multiplayer? seriously?

They gonna repair the f multiplayer?

just bad news IMO.

Yeah, just intrigue.

But most of the time I play with 2, 3 friends and 5, 6 AI. It would be sweet to know the plans of the AIs.

The Huns confirmed, 3 left right? Man i really expect that a modern civilization will be included.

Austria-Hungary or something of that ilk would fit really well with the broadened focus on WWI, but they might have to repurpose some city names from Germany.

Still holding out hope for Charlemagne and the Holy Roman Empire, but pre-modern Europe is getting pretty well-represented now. :(

My guess now:

1- huns (confirmed)
2- Austria, Austria-hungary, Poland (some european power because of the new scenary)
3- Zulu, Ethiopia
4 -I would like to see a south american civ, but I think we will have another asian one like Indonesia, Khmer...

You can't really have any South American Civ without first having Brazil, and you can't have Brazil without first having Portugal. But it's a future DLC possibility - Portugal will be in for sure at some point.

Assuming that steampunk Victorian-era science fiction would try to represent most of the world,instead of being restricted to Eurasia,then I'd assume they would need to include Brazil to represent that huge territory on Eastern south America . There are some reasons to do it:

- They couldn't use Portugal instead Brazil,because Brazil was already separated from Portugal and Portugal is too small to be represented(that why they showed Lisbon as a city state);
- Rio de Janeiro is not big enough to represent ALL the brazilian territory(Brazil isn't just Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo) ;
- Brazil didn't have a strong tech lagging at that time,if compared with other Non-European nations,with the obvious exception of USA and Japan;

For African continent,there might be both Zulu and Ethiopia . Then Fill the gap between the empires with as many city states as you can and you can represent this scenario very well .

You can't really have any South American Civ without first having Brazil, and you can't have Brazil without first having Portugal. But it's a future DLC possibility - Portugal will be in for sure at some point.

I dont see the necessity of Portugal appears first. Yes they "found" Brazil but we need to think that in the new scenario Brazil has a huge influence and Portugal used to be a important mercantile country and now not so important in world scenario.

But i really think that Brazil dont be one of the missing civs.

Top Bottom