[Religion and Revolution]: Mod Development

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ all

Flags and buttons are uploaded and ready for testing.

@ colonialfan

I can do that, but we should discuss this with the team first. I think you are right, that the union Jack covers the majority of the timeframe. But I remember a discussion in the TAC team a long time ago, because in the beginning of the colonization of the New World, "Great Britain" (the union Jack represents England and Scotland) did not exist, England was the existing nation.

The best solution would be, if the nation flags/buttons could be changed during the game (maybe by an event). Is that possible to program?

I can do that, but we should discuss this with the team first. I think you are right, that the union Jack covers the majority of the timeframe. But I remember a discussion in the TAC team a long time ago, because in the beginning of the colonization of the New World, "Great Britain" (the union Jack represents England and Scotland) did not exist, England was the existing nation.

Absolutely we should discuss it with the team first. :) My thinking is that aside from the Roanoke expeditions in the mid 1580's, England did not really get into the colonization of the America's until 1607, by which point they had the Union Jack, (version 1606-1801.)

The best solution would be, if the nation flags/buttons could be changed during the game (maybe by an event). Is that possible to program?

I like the idea of the flag changing with a particular event or a historically relevant date. I'm not sure if it is possible, Ray or one of the other guys would have a better idea.

PS - I love the Avatar :goodjob:

I like the idea of the flag changing with a particular event or a historically relevant date. I'm not sure if it is possible, Ray or one of the other guys would have a better idea.

Yes, we have even planned to implement a change of flags when colonies declare Independence. :)
(see here)

But I would not like to change a flag after a few years in game.
That is too much effort for too little benefit.

About generally changing the English flag to "Union Jack":
It would be ok for me, if the rest of team wants it. :)

Flags and buttons are uploaded and ready for testing.

Great. :)

I will try to test tonight.
I am really eager to see these great graphics in game. :D

Absolutely we should discuss it with the team first. :) My thinking is that aside from the Roanoke expeditions in the mid 1580's, England did not really get into the colonization of the America's until 1607, by which point they had the Union Jack, (version 1606-1801.)

Ok, according to this aspect the union Jack will be the right flag. And I agree, It covers most of the "important" timeframe... :)

Ok, Union Jack is created, buttons and flag are ready for upload. I will implement these with my next upload (maybe together with oter graphics)

Ok, Union Jack is created, buttons and flag are ready for upload. I will implement these with my next upload (maybe together with oter graphics)

Edit:

@Schmiddie: I have tested your changes yesterday night and everything looks really good. :goodjob:

Could you also improve my Jacques Cartier dds file (its on the SVN: SVN/transfer/Founding_Fathers/ Jacques Cartier) ?

Hi Robert,

I tried to improve Jacques Cartier. I hope you like it... :)

Please tell me, if Cartier shall be implemented. I will then create the correct .dds and the button.

I've read the GlobalDefinesAlt.xml.
I like the changes in general. It's quite interesting that the GlobalDefinesAlt.xml file overrides standard GlobalDefines.xml.
I didn't know that!

The only thing that seems a little unusual is your "Little Roundwise Native Income".
I would like to ask you a few questions, Ray. May I?

First of all, why are the two defines so low? If a native nation has five villages, they will get some gold every turn only if native gold is lower than 500, and they will only get a maximum of 50 gold...

Maybe there's something I don't understand. I may be wrong but I've read here:
http://www.civfanatics.com/civ4/colonization/strategy/nativetrade
that we must distinguish native total gold and native available gold.
I've been able to change natives total gold but never natives available gold. :( Although the must interesting part is the native available gold, since it's the amount of gold you see when they trade with you. :)
Moreover available gold seems to increase slowly every turn.
So what does your feature do?
Are you increasing total gold or available gold? (Maybe there's a link but I can't find it).

[By the way, this isn't a high priority question... It's a small detail... So there no need to hurry! I'm just curious]

I've read the GlobalDefinesAlt.xml.
I like the changes in general.

(As I said, I have made these balancing changes from feedback and personal experience ...)

It's quite interesting that the GlobalDefinesAlt.xml file overrides standard GlobalDefines.xml.
I didn't know that!

Overriding GlobalDefines.xml is exactly the purpose of GlobalDefinesAlt.xml. :)

Mods are supposed to use GlobalDefinesAlt.xml only.

The only thing that seems a little unusual is your "Little Roundwise Native Income".
I would like to ask you a few questions, Ray. May I?

Sure. :)

I will try to explain:

Native AIs have no means of re-generating gold at all except getting it from trade with europeans.

Thus the following happens very soon:
Players have depleted all gold from Natives and thus it is almost impossible to sell them any more.

This small feature changes that.

Natives regenerates (very slowly) a certain amount of gold up to a certain threshold (which is relatively low).
Thus after a few rounds, they have some gold again, so you can sell them a few goods.

However, because of the treshold, the feature will only work, if the natives are (almost) depleted and it will not generate infinite riches for them.
It really only ensures, that they are interesting as long term trade partners.

That is all. :)

Edit:

It is just as I have described here.
The numbers (in XML) are multiplied with the number of cities of that Native Nation.
(So it is ok, if they seem relatively low.)

Hm, I like the feature that colonists can be veterans through battles, but I would prefer that is also possible to educate veterans in the university too...

Hi guys,

as relaxation in between, I created our 4 new planned bonus-ressources for food.
(I am still doing some testing and will upload to SVN then.)

Coconut (Savannah)
Turkeys (Grasland)
Pumpkins (Prairie)
Melons (Marsh)

Edit:
It is tested and uploaded.

Edit 2:
Since I had to change Gamefonts (for Bonus icons), please pay attention to all kinds of icons when testing / playing.

Edit 3:
If there are any objections to adding these for Release 1, they can be removed from game withing seconds.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 84
  • Civ4ScreenShot0008.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0008.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 89
  • Civ4ScreenShot0009.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0009.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 131
Status
Not open for further replies.