What additional civilizations would you like to see in Civilization V

What additional civilizations would you like to see in Civilization V?

• Total voters
I'm a Filipino so i Think im gonna vote for South east Asian Civs , Specifically "Philippines"

Philippine civilization would be awesome with its Katipuneros and Moro Warrior!!

If this would ever happen, that there would be A Philippine Civilization on the Next Expansion or DLC... haha..
I will Encourage all my Friends to buy This Game!!! I Promised!!

Wait...
If you happen to play the Scenario on DLC5 which is "Ancient Wonder Scenario" there is Already Sumer and Hittites civilization. Well if want to play it in Single player game You can make a Mod for it

Again, I try to sum the current standing
Now, after 173 votes, probably these are the civs which made it over 30 votes:
(basing the assumptions on similar methods than before, see the previous post in the spoiler)

Spoiler :

So, trying to get a list from this too. Trying to find the civs with 20+ votes
It's hard to assume how should the grouped votes count (much harder than it was in the other thread), but I will try anyway

For Other middle eastern civs, Assyira and Israel are the two most likely candidates
Nevertheless I don't think any of those got more than 3/4 of all the votes, and probably all the other civs have much less votes
I place these 2 around 23-24 votes, while all the others possible civs in the region probably have much less than 20

Other European civs are not too popular
Not surprising, mostly because of the eurocentrism of the 1st expansion
Anyway, this combined option is on the last place by far currently
None of the other european civs would have gotten more than 10 votes so far

Other north american civs
This is the hardest category to guess, there are just too many similarly popular options, and it got 39 votes
Which could be the dominant civs there? Apache? Navajo? Comanche? Pueblo? Inuit? Cree? Mississippian or one of the 5 civilized natives?
Really hard to guess...
Also, it's in this category where IMO it matters the less whether someone get's the Apache or the Navajo in the end...
I can only base my numbers on the few comments in the 2 threads

Other african civs
27 votes suggest that some of those civs are really close to make it around 20
But I'm not sure if 4/5 of the voters would have choose any of them if they were a separate option. Maybe Nubia barely makes it around 20-21 votes...

Other SE Asian
Similar case to Africa. The huge difference, that in this case it seems (based on the comments), that almost everyone would gladly see Vietnam, at least 5/6 of the voters
So, at least 21-22 votes for Vietnam
None of the other civs would reach anything close to 20 votes

South American natives, Other Central Asian civs, and Other modern or colonial civs got fairly low votes
None of the civs in those areas would reach the 20 vote threshold currently

Here is the list, the grouped options separated - based on my prevous post
So, after 111 votes, civs with at least 20 votes:

1. Indonesia - 61 votes
2. Kongo - 51
3. Portugal - 50
4. Zulu - 49
5. Sumer - 43
6. Poland - 39
7. Brazil - 37
8. Sioux - 36
9. Tibet - 35
10. Hittite - 34
11. Morocco - 33
12. Khmer - 32
13. Zimbabwe - 30
14. Khazars - 28
15. Hungary - 24
16. Assyria - 23.5
16. Israel - 23.5
18. Vietnam - 22
19. Phoenicia - 21
20. Nubia - 20.5
21. Mali - 20

With at least 3-4 North American Native civs somewhere between 20-30 votes
Apache, Navajo, Mississippian, Pueblo, Inuit are the most likely candidates that made it over 20.
So, vote number: 173 (+62)

1. Indonesia - 82 (+19)
2. Zulu - 76 (+27)
3. Portugal - 74 (+24)
4. Kongo - 66 (+15)
5. Sumer - 62 (+19)
6. Poland - 60 (+21)

7. Sioux - 54 (+18)
8. Hittites - 52 (+18)
9. Tibet - 50 (+15)
10. Brazil - 50 (+13)
11. Khmer - 45 (+13)
12. Morocco - 42 (+9)

13. Assyria - ~38 (+12-15)
14. Phoenicia - 37 (+16)
15. Zimbabwe - 37 (+7)
16. Hebrews - ~36 (+12-15)
17. Khazars - 34 (+6)
18. Hungary - 33 (+9)

19. Armenia - ~32 (+12-15)
20. Mali - 31 (+11)
21. Vietnam - ~31 (+8-10)
22. Nubia - ~30 (+8-9)
23. Swahili - ~30 (+8-9)
With at least 3-4 North American Native civs in this list somewhere between 30-45 votes
Apache, Navajo, Mississippian, Pueblo, Inuit are the most likely candidates that made it over 30.

And the categories got:
Other Middle-Eastern civs: 49 (+18) - Assyria, Hebrews and Armenia
Other European civs: 21 (+9)
Other African civs: 37 (+10) - Nubia and Swahili maybe barely makes it above 30
Other South Asian civs: 37 (+10) - Vietnam
Other Central Asian civs: 28 (+6)
Other colonial or "modern" civs: 33 (+8)
South American native civs: 30 (+9)
Other North American civs: 59 (+20) - As stated before, probably some of the Apache, Cherokee, Comanche, Mississippian, Crow, Inuit made it over 30, but I don't have enough information here for a good guess

Btw, my top civ-releasing scenario would be:
Portugal-Kongo pack
Assyria-Hittite pack
Sioux-Apache pack
A second expansion, with Zulu, Sumer, Hungary, Poland, Phoenicia, Khmer, Mali definitely among the new civs

No, that one is different. Rome and Byzantines might have been a better example. Or even Rome and Italy would be better. Turkey and Byzantines is more like Iroquois and America.

Yeah you're right..
I'm sorry what i mean is Ottoman Empire not Turkey and also Ottoman and Byzantine share a same Capital Location ( Turkey->Istanbul; Byzantine->Constantinople )

1. Indonesia - 82 (+19)
2. Zulu - 76 (+27)
3. Portugal - 74 (+24)
4. Kongo - 66 (+15)
5. Sumer - 62 (+19)
6. Poland - 60 (+21)
7. Sioux - 54 (+18)
8. Hittites - 52 (+18)

Exactly my top choices as well. :)

I would add Israel, with strong bonuses for religion and espionage, as the ninth Civ for the second expansion pack. Like Spain for G&K, Inca would suit nicely as the tenth Civ. :)

The issue here is representation, IMO. While Civ has always been biased on the side of European civilizations, I feel like there's a continuing trend to provide more representation of cultures don't always get the recognition that they deserve.

As a result, there are two glaring omissions from previous Civ games that will most likely be released as DLC:

1. The Zulu (or another South African civ)
2. The Majapahit (or another Indonesian civ)

Think about a map of the world and place markers where the different civs would start out. Europe and the Middle East are absolutely covered with civs, East Asia and Central America are well-represented, Central Asia seems sparse but also historically accurate as most of the cultures in that region were nomadic, and most regions of Africa get at least some representation.

So where are the gaps? SE Asia (as Siam only really extends down to the Malay Peninsula historically), South Africa, Subarctic/Northwestern North America, and Southern South America. I already mentioned the Zulu and the Majapahit since they've been in previous iterations of the series, so what other civs could fill in the gaps?

Subarctic/Northwestern North America is a pretty easy answer and one that's been suggested by many people before: The Inuit. Right now the only civilization to take advantage of arctic terrain is Denmark, but even then only for one of their UUs. An Inuit civilization that gets an arctic/tundra food/commerce bonus would fill in a nice gap.

Southern South America gets a little more difficult. You don't want to include another civ that would be located near the Inca because there's too much cultural overlap. However, most of the early pre-colonial cultures of South America were loosely organized hunter/gatherer tribes and very few sedentary civilizations. I think a good pick would be the Mapuche. Not only because they contested the Inca early on, but also because they had longevity through and after the spanish colonial times and into modern Chile and Argentina.

So, my picks would be:

1. The Zulu
2. Majapahit
3. The Inuit
4. The Mapuche

Yeah you're right..
I'm sorry what i mean is Ottoman Empire not Turkey and also Ottoman and Byzantine share a same Capital Location ( Turkey->Istanbul; Byzantine->Constantinople )
Well Byzantium and ottomans share more than Constantinople-Instanbul. They also share Adrianople-Edrine, Niceca-Bursa and many more the ottomans just renamed byzantine citys to a more turkish name.

The issue here is representation, IMO. While Civ has always been biased on the side of European civilizations, I feel like there's a continuing trend to provide more representation of cultures don't always get the recognition that they deserve.

As a result, there are two glaring omissions from previous Civ games that will most likely be released as DLC:

1. The Zulu (or another South African civ)
2. The Majapahit (or another Indonesian civ)

Think about a map of the world and place markers where the different civs would start out. Europe and the Middle East are absolutely covered with civs, East Asia and Central America are well-represented, Central Asia seems sparse but also historically accurate as most of the cultures in that region were nomadic, and most regions of Africa get at least some representation.

So where are the gaps? SE Asia (as Siam only really extends down to the Malay Peninsula historically), South Africa, Subarctic/Northwestern North America, and Southern South America. I already mentioned the Zulu and the Majapahit since they've been in previous iterations of the series, so what other civs could fill in the gaps?

Subarctic/Northwestern North America is a pretty easy answer and one that's been suggested by many people before: The Inuit. Right now the only civilization to take advantage of arctic terrain is Denmark, but even then only for one of their UUs. An Inuit civilization that gets an arctic/tundra food/commerce bonus would fill in a nice gap.

Southern South America gets a little more difficult. You don't want to include another civ that would be located near the Inca because there's too much cultural overlap. However, most of the early pre-colonial cultures of South America were loosely organized hunter/gatherer tribes and very few sedentary civilizations. I think a good pick would be the Mapuche. Not only because they contested the Inca early on, but also because they had longevity through and after the spanish colonial times and into modern Chile and Argentina.

So, my picks would be:

1. The Zulu
2. Majapahit
3. The Inuit
4. The Mapuche

I would disagree with your choice of Inuit as the representative civilization for SA/NW North America. Before their culture was significantly changed by the Europeans, they were nomadic, and though they manage to thrive - amazingly - in arctic conditions, there isn't much that they would add to Civ in terms of actual civilization (the building of monuments, long-lasting settlements, culture, law, art, religion, warfare.) I'm not saying they don't have any of these things, I'm saying that they are not what I would consider a 'civilization' for the purposes of this game.
Instead, I suggest using the Haida or perhaps one of the Salish peoples (or just use 'Salish'). The Haida in particular built long-lasting settlements, created very beautiful artwork, traded and fought along the coast for hundreds of miles, and had a culture that could be more accurately called a civilization in the way Westerners use that word today. These people were able to devote far more resources to nonessential things - like art - than were the Inuit, and at its heart, I think, civilization is the ability to create things that are nonessential for survival of the individual or group.

EDIT: Oh, wow, this is a poll. Well, I vote Other North American Native civs - Haida.

Question: Does anybody know how Civ 5 DLCs/expansions work (based off of history of previous civ games). I only started playing Civ at Civ 5 so I don't know how many more expansions or DLCs Civ typically has before they move on to the next Civ.

Also, I'm glad to see Indonesia run ahead in the voting. Even though I'm from Colorado I'm a big fan of Asian history and I'm honestly surprised Indonesia isn't a mainstay in civ. At the very least, they should at least be a regular DLC/expansion civ. It's clear by the voting that everybody here knows their Southeast Asian history :) it's due time for Indonesia to earn its time in the Civ spotlight.

Usually a Civ game has two expansions and don't know how many DLCs.

If I'm not mistaken, Civ V is the first one to offer DLC packs. All previous games just released content in expansions.

I voted for Portugal on the one choice poll because I enjoy naval/trade civilizations and Portugal is one of the best examples of it. Additionally, I chose Indonesia (for the many reasons stated in this thread), Tibet (would have been fun to have in G&K) and Brazil/Other Modern States. South America should be represented by a modern nation as well, leaving only Brazil or Argentina as viable contenders. Of those two, I would select Argentina as it was much more important than Brazil in the 19th and 20th centuries.

I don't have a strong pref between which civs, but mostly I'd like to add civs that are "different", at least in traits, than the ones we currently have. I'd like to see some civ added without a UU, as a more builder civ overall. I feel that most in the current game seem to be geared towards fighting, so having ones that are meant more peaceful would be nice. Maybe a civ like the Swiss, where they could have the Swiss Guard as a UU, which would be decidedly weaker than the unit it replaces, but gives a strong bonus when garrisonned or something.

Top Bottom