A Tale of Common Things

FROM: Lorenzo de Zavala, president of the Republic of Texas
TO: Antonio Lopez de Santa Ana, usurper and dictator

You showed your true colors, ese, when you deposed Gomez Farias and suspended elections. Did you really think that you could escape justice for your crimes? Did you really think that we would never return from exile?

Leave now, dictator. The people of Mexico have spoken.

ooc: My orders might be a tad late, just to say.

President Andrew Jackson, in the exalted tradition of the Monroe Doctrine, wishes to remind various powers that the affairs of the Western Hemisphere are not theirs to interfere with.

My orders will be late. This is probably already apparent. :(

Mine as well :<

His Majesty's Government declines to allow European vessels seeking to interrupt the peace and good governance of South America the right to resupply. In addition, His Majesty's Government cautions that any such acts against peace could be met with the full force of the Royal Navy.

His Majesty's Government warns the Peruvian Government against seeking further European intervention in South America.

OOC: Masada, stop. I told you my mails were OOC, in the title and multiple times in the text itself. I was asking you personally what you thought, not the British. There is quite a difference, as the British would currently not know of anything dealing with Peru currently as I have not sent a message to the British, and no one else has sent a message either. Therefore an IC reaction is so OOC that it is laughable.

OOC: No, you can't do that, Gem Hound. Talking OOC is for when you talk about OOC things; if you use OOC to give other players IC knowledge that they otherwise wouldn't have had, then that's a misuse of "OOC", and they're perfectly entitled to use the information IC.

OOC: No, you can't do that, Gem Hound. Talking OOC is for when you talk about OOC things; if you use OOC to give other players IC knowledge that they otherwise wouldn't have had, then that's a misuse of "OOC", and they're perfectly entitled to use the information IC.

Hmm, so a conversation between me and Masada about countries ingame when I am asking for his advice allows him to go and flaunt it everywhere as if it was IC when all it is is a message that is hidden in a desk and has only seen the eyes of my own monarch and the writer? I would be perfectly fine with the first post, but not the second.

I don't think he realized that the whole purpose of the mail was me asking for advice from Masada. Well, regardless, this has shown me how he responds. I won't ask him for advice again.

FROM: Lorenzo de Zavala, president of the Republic of Texas
TO: Antonio Lopez de Santa Ana, usurper and dictator

You showed your true colors, ese, when you deposed Gomez Farias and suspended elections. Did you really think that you could escape justice for your crimes? Did you really think that we would never return from exile?

Leave now, dictator. The people of Mexico have spoken.

To Lorenzo de Zavala, madman of the province of Tejas,
From, President Miguel Barragan, Mexico

Antonio Lopez de Santa Ana is not and never was a usurper or dictator. There was no suspension of elections. There was no deposing of any president. Your words prove that are as much a fool as you are mad.

Valentín Gómez Farías was never an elected President. He served under Santa Anna as vice president and as interim President while Santa Anna focused on serving the nation in the role God made him for, General of the Mexican Republic forces. He abused his interim Presidency by forcing unwanted liberal reforms upon the nation. He forced the seizure of Church lands and took upon himself the rights and privileges that should only belong to his most holy of God's representatives, the pope himself, by forcing all clerical appointments to be made by the state instead of the papacy. He thrust us into intellectual darkness by closing the greatest of our colleges, the University of Mexico and opened his own secular schools with cronies loyal to him serving as "teachers". He attempted to make us weak by undermining our very necessary military.

Only the rightful president's courage and piety saved us. When Farías's Godless and legally baseless 'reforms' were repealed the church bells pealed and signs reading "Long Live the Faith and the Illustrious Santa Anna" appeared everywhere. The Cathedrals sang the Te Deum. The people hailed the rightful president's decision! Public support has never been greater.

Your accusations of dictatorship are false and empty. Congress was elected at its appointed time on the 26th of July 1833. I hold office as interim president for Santa Anna, just as Farias did; only I am not traitor. And when the term is complete, elections will be held and a new President will be rightfully chosen.

We thought the Tejan cause had some legitimacy. Many in Tejas supported independence that they might practice their own faith, speak their own tongue, practice the enslavement of another man. Now we learn their leader's cause has NO legitimacy. When they have their independence, all they wanted, it is you that "Reveals your True Colors, ese". You are no friend of the Tejans. You have taxed them beyond their ability to pay (OOC: 100% taxes for a 50% max nation). You have spent every peso they have had (OOC: look at your budget). You have bankrupted your people and your creditors. Every man you have has been given a gun and told to fight (OOC: mobilized population). And why must they pay this great price? Why must every grain of wheat be paid to you? Why must every father or son or brother fight? To spread your madness and greed to good Mexicans who's sin of guilt leads them to accept a shiny Tejan peso in exchange for declarations of "United Provinces of North America"? To make a claim upon a land Tejans have no appetite for? Even the means you employ, to send infiltrators and saboteurs, speaks of your backhanded and morally defunct ethos. None will follow a man such as you.

Your path of self-destruction will be a short one. Your people cannot afford to keep paying the taxes you ask of them. No bank or investor will credit you another peso now that they have learned how you've wasted the the monies they've previously lent. Your people, starving and desperate, will never fight for the cause of supporting the exiled 'Gomez Farias' who's godless reforms were hated the first time and who's madness and treachery will not be tolerated a second time. Why would they? Mexico has already given them everything they want. It is you that takes the very bread from their mouths and robs them of everything they would have bled for.

May God have mercy upon your soul. If your own people do not first destroy you, when we find you, we will.

So who else made the super super super obvious linkage between a post warning Peru to stop trying to get European parties involved in South America and the Two-Sicilies sending a fleet to the other side of the world to blockade Bolivia at Peru's instigation? Nobody, I thought as much.

@Gem Hound

You asked an IC question OOC. I answered it. And then I issued a generic warning to to Peru to stop because this is the second or third time Peru has approached other European powers to intervene (excluding the three or four times Peru has asked me). You will note that at no stage did I identify the European parties involved nor was it obvious who those parties might have been. So good job, you exploded over something that could not be tracked back to you. Really, I thought I was being quite pleasant about the whole thing.

So who else made the super super super obvious linkage between a post warning Peru to stop trying to get European parties involved in South America and the Two-Sicilies sending a fleet to the other side of the world to blockade Bolivia at Peru's instigation? Nobody, I thought as much.

@Gem Hound

You asked an IC question OOC. I answered it. And then I issued a generic warning to to Peru to stop because this is the second or third time Peru has approached other European powers to intervene (excluding the three or four times Peru has asked me). You will note that at no stage did I identify the European parties involved nor was it obvious who those parties might have been. So good job, you exploded over something that could not be tracked back to you. Really, I thought I was being quite pleasant about the whole thing.
and here I was thinking I was the only one approached since it was over Skype, anyways, that was not an explosion, I was trying to figure out what was going on.

To: Texas and Mexico

Let it be known that the world will not tolerate the empty threats from two upstart polities. May no future trouble arise any farther.

The Tsardom of Russia is ashamed and appalled at the actions and instability of the nation of Mexico. We hope that a resolution is thought of quickly in these extremely troubled times.

Great- Us too.

To: Texas and Mexico

Let it be known that the world will not tolerate the empty threats from two upstart polities. May no future trouble arise any farther.

Okay.

(EDIT: yeah, i wasn't really sure how to respond to that but since you posted two rounds of diplo it would have been rude not to say anything... so yeah, Mexico hears you.)

From Russia
To: The World

Let it be known that the Mexican-Texan conflict is an internal conflict that must be resolved internally. Russia will however intervene immediately if there is any threat to the stability and peace of the world and in Europe.

To Mr. Miguel Barragan
as an Open Letter to the Mexican People

Is there any truth to the rumor that the Seven Laws were never signed by Santa Ana, because satanic visions of Death in a saint's attire, conferred to him during a secret pagan ceremony, granted him insight into the future? How long have you knowingly had a wizard or warlock in your employ?

Will the Holy Office be once again re-established, and will the Inquisition be empowered to root out witchcraft and false prophecy in the highest offices of the land?

His Majesty's Government concurs with the Russian Government's assessment that the issues in Mexico remain a Mexican issue.

From Russia
To: The World

Let it be known that the Mexican-Texan conflict is an internal conflict that must be resolved internally. Russia will however intervene immediately if there is any threat to the stability and peace of the world and in Europe.

His Majesty's Government concurs with the Russian Government's assessment that the issues in Mexico remain a Mexican issue.

From President Miguel Barragan,
To the Governments of Russia and Britain,

Mexico thanks you for support of non-interference in the affairs of Mexico. It would truly be a terrible thing if foreign governments interfered, swayed by the madness that now grips Tejas.

To Mr. Miguel Barragan

Is there any truth to the rumor that the Seven Laws were never signed by Santa Ana, because satanic visions of Death in a saint's attire, conferred to him during a secret pagan ceremony, granted him insight into the future? How long have you knowingly had a wizard or warlock in your employ?

Will the Holy Office be once again re-established, and will the Inquisition be empowered to root out witchcraft and false prophecy in the highest offices of the land?

From President Miguel Barragan
To Lorenzo de Zavala, madman of the province of Tejas,

Antonio López de Santa Anna, who was twice decorated by the Catholic church with illustrious titles we would only dream of? Champion of God and his faith? The one holy men call ”protector of the Catholic religion” and "sustainer of religion and freedom of the country". If you weren’t so sad and dangerous, you would be hilarious.

Your words and actions have repeatedly shown you to be a madman. Your paranoia and delusions now only confirm it. Once we thought you a great danger to Mexico. Now those feelings are tempered with pity and revulsion. We will say mass for the province and people of Tejas,that they may be swiftly delivered from the madness that infects your mind. May God take you mercifully quickly to his arms that you may do no more harm than you already have.

From President Miguel Barragan,
To the Tejans People,

We very much suspect that the elections that brought Lorenzo de Zavala to power were fraudulent in the extreme. Certainly his concerns, to reinstate a hated liberal reformer in Mexico, one who’s government and policies are so very distant from your own concerns, to form some demented “Union of Northern Provinces” or some such, or even to re-instate the Spanish inquisition (chortle) are not those that were once expressed by the Tejan people. While your concerns are for your livelihood, your faith and for representation, his concerns leap about like a leaf in the wind, one day some unrealistic amalgamation of northern states, the following day the will of a Tejan fifth column in California, the next day to champion an exiled traitor hated by Mexico and abroad, and today to reinstate the Spanish inquisition to hunt down ghouls and goblins, witches and warlocks. Every day his madness is greater and greater and more and more obvious.

Your leadership has been led astray. In his folly he has demanded everything you have, all our coin, all your harvest, the very food from your mouths. He has spent everything he could, both your own funds and those of foreign banks and governments to pursue his folly. Soon he will ask your blood and your lives. You must act! While you still have your lives, you must drag the madman of Tejas from his throne!

Spoiler OOC :

Chiefdesigner,

You used OOC knowledge to act IC and all you managed to do was reinforce the narrative that your leader is a crazy person. Thanks.

To Lorenzo de Zavala, madman of the province of Tejas,[/b]

Antonio López de Santa Anna, who was twice decorated by the Catholic church with illustrious titles we would only dream of? Champion of God and his faith? The one holy men call &#8221;protector of the Catholic religion&#8221; and "sustainer of religion and freedom of the country". If you weren&#8217;t so sad and dangerous, you would be hilarious.

Your words and actions have repeatedly shown you to be a madman. Your paranoia and delusions now only confirm it. Once we thought you a great danger to Mexico. Now those feelings are tempered with pity and revulsion. We will say mass for the province and people of Tejas,that they may be swiftly delivered from the madness that infects your mind. May God take you mercifully quickly to his arms that you may do no more harm than you already have.

To Mr. Miguel Barragan

Many words, but none of them a denial.

Let it be heard throughout Mexico -- pray for the soul of Santa Ana, now fallen to paganism and witchcraft.

Top Bottom