Colonialist Legacies: Histories of the New World | Colonial + Pre-Colonial civs

I think the consesus between Neirai and I is that we'd like to keep Pontiac.
Understandable.

The Pontiac you showed looks like too much like John Beranthal (from the Walking Dead) for my liking. I can keep looking around though and see if I can edit the "leaping" pose that Silent Shadow has.
He's Marshall Dancing Elk Lucas, but I can see the resemblance.

On an unrelated note, when it come time to dive into the Native Australian Civs, I was wondering if it would be possible to steal the Barbarian Axeman animation for a new boomerang tossing model. Seems like the best way to get that classic Australian weapon into the game.

Sorry for being pedantic, but the boomerang wasn't a weapon.

Sorry for being pedantic, but that isn't entirely true.

Your typical generic returning boomerang was more often used to scare birds into nets so, yes it probably couldn't be called a 'weapon'.
On the other hand boomerang were sometimes of a non-returning kind, more like throwing sticks and these most assuredly were weapons, mostly of animals like kangaroo but equally effective against foes.

Here are a few sources on the topic I found.

From The Prehistoric Arts, Manufacturers, Works, Weapons, Etc., of the Aborigines of Australia

In Victoria the natives have a war-boomerang, always used in battle.... Usually the war implement is not so much curved as the others, the best weapons being nearly as straight as the blade of a sword; and there is seldom any twist in this as in the lighter boomerang. They are made of the hardest wood, and very neatly fashioned, have a sharp cutting edge, and in battle are very dangerous weapons. This kind is about 30in. in length; the breadth is 1 3/4in., and the greatest thickness of the blad is 1/2in. The weight is about 10ozs., but some are not more than 8ozs. Should it strike a man in the abdomen it would cut its way through his body. Mr. JF Mann says he has seen one pass through the body of a large kangaroo.

It mentions a few other boomerangs used in fighting, but also says only non-returning boomerangs were used this way. Returning boomerangs were used only for hunting.

From The Australian Frontier Wars, 1788-1838:

The main traditional Aboriginal weapons were the spear--often used with the woomera (or spear-thrower)--and the club, while boomerangs, stones and shields were also used.
This latter word [boomerang] comes from the Darawal people south of Sydney. Bungaree of the Eora used one in a ritual fight in 1804 and the Sydney Gazette breathlessly wrote that the boomerang, when "thrown at 20 or 30 yards distance, twirled around in the area with astonishing velocity, and alighted on the right arm of one of his opponents, leaving a horrible contusion behind, and exciting universal admiration.'
You can read that bit from the Sydney Gazette here.
The first phase of the battle consisted of an exchange of spears with light bark eleemong shields being used to parry them away. In the second phase the protagonists charged and fought at close quarters with clubs and boomerangs, using solid wood arrcigong shields for protection.

There's also ancient artwork of men using boomerangs against each other, discussed in this article from the Cambridge Archaeological Journal:

It is in this Dynamic manner of depiction that the first forms of fighting are illustrated. For instance, some Dynamic Figures are shown in combat, failing boomerangs, dodging spears and chasing with weapons raised. Finely detailed weaponry and body adornment is illustrated on most figures. Figures throw boomerangs at each other, and boomerangs fly between them; figures bend over to avoid volleys of spears; figures have spears protruding from torsoes; figures bend down to help comrades that have spears in torsoes.

Jeez, I didn't make myself very clear, didn't I?

When I say boomerangs, I mean what the typical person thinks: a curved stick that comes back. I was going to edit it, actually, but I had to leave. I knew it'd come back to hit me.

How exactly did you get the Pontiac leader head? Was it from a screenshot from Assassin's creed 3? Maybe it's possible to get a better one. I don't know anything about that game, so it's something im interested in looking into.

From the AC wiki.

Updated the OP :)

Attached is the working patch for Australia and Mexico.

Just so you're aware, your "replacement" city-states don't show up with their proper city names. The database still shows that their cities are Sydney and Melbourne. So try:

Spoiler :
Code:
<Update>
	<Set CityName="TXT_KEY_CITYSTATE_DUBAI"/>
	<Where [B]MinorCiv[/B]Type="MINOR_CIV_MELBOURNE"/>
</Update>
<Update>
	<Set CityName="TXT_KEY_CITYSTATE_MONTEVIDEO"/>
	<Where [B]MinorCiv[/B]Type="MINOR_CIV_SYDNEY"/>
</Update>

EDIT: Switched Montevideo out for Honiara.

EDIT: Added the direct mod (the second attachment) for those that want to try it immediately.

Attachments

• Colonialist Legacies YnAEMP Compatibility.rar
    2.2 KB · Views: 1,706
  • Colonialist Legacies YnAEMP Compatibility Patch (v 1).rar
    1.9 KB · Views: 1,468
TPangolin, are you able to say with confidence when the Canada civilization is going to be released? I'm very interested in a game with all three of your modern civilizations in it.

Also, is the Avro Arrow going to be a unique unit or graphic for the mod? The two units you have on the first post look really neat, especially the artillery piece. I like it's ability of two shot while in a city, as to show the civilization is more of a defensive-based country, but can still attack if necessary.

A second note is will Canada have start preference to ocean/sea tiles like Byzantium, England, and Carthage?

Canada hopefully will be released on Monday. The Avro Arrow will be in the mod (it's just a graphic - doesn't change any stats). Canada has a Tundra start bias.

Sounds awesome, can't wait.

Canada hopefully will be released on Monday. The Avro Arrow will be in the mod (it's just a graphic - doesn't change any stats). Canada has a Tundra start bias.

Awesome, Cant wait to try Canada, keeping good friend on one side, and pissing of your target with dynamic borders+citadels.

I have to say, these civs are looking quite nice! I'll be proud to someday play a game with nothing but your civs. :)

I did notice something, however, in this Dawn of Man screen:

For now, here is some Canada Art:

Spoiler :

Iqualuit should be spelled Iqaluit, without the first U. Other than that, though, this is perfect! :D

@JFD

So glad someone found that error. (I wasn't really looking, just bugged me when I tried this mod though)

Shows what another set of eyes can do. Such a simple error that doesn't halt the mod loading, just annoy those that use it.

I had a sudden realization today regarding the Anishinaabe. I had previously been focused on the Council of Three Fires when considering ideas for this Civ, but since the Algonquin are non-Council Anishinaabe, they provide an interesting possibility for a Unique Unit. The Algonquin had a weapon that English historians translated as "The Devil's Head." A heavy stone was secured to a pole by an animal-skin covering that was painted with a fearsome looking face. It's essentially a thrown warhammer, used to smash up enemy canoes and formations (prior to the advent of firearms, Northeast warriors fought in compact formations; post-firearm the dominant formation was a dispersed U-shaped one used to surround the enemy while allowing them an avenue for retreat). The Devil's Head was not used in colonial times, however. The Algonquin recalled it only from memory. But based on the Vinland Sagas, it seems the Norse settlers ran into people wielding such a weapon and it was quite effective against them.

I had a sudden realization today regarding the Anishinaabe. I had previously been focused on the Council of Three Fires when considering ideas for this Civ, but since the Algonquin are non-Council Anishinaabe, they provide an interesting possibility for a Unique Unit. The Algonquin had a weapon that English historians translated as "The Devil's Head." A heavy stone was secured to a pole by an animal-skin covering that was painted with a fearsome looking face. It's essentially a thrown warhammer, used to smash up enemy canoes and formations (prior to the advent of firearms, Northeast warriors fought in compact formations; post-firearm the dominant formation was a dispersed U-shaped one used to surround the enemy while allowing them an avenue for retreat). The Devil's Head was not used in colonial times, however. The Algonquin recalled it only from memory. But based on the Vinland Sagas, it seems the Norse settlers ran into people wielding such a weapon and it was quite effective against them.

Can you provide me with some links for additional readings on this? Sounds interesting.

There's not a lot to go on, but here are the sources I know of.

From The Indian Tribes of the United States (also when I said "English" earlier I should have really said "English-speaking Americans" since the book was written later than I remembered):

Ballista*, or Demon's Head. &#8212; Algonkin tradition affirms that in ancient times, during the fierce wars which the Indians carried on, they constructed a very formidable instrument of attack, by sewing up a large round boulder in a new skin. To this a long handle was tied. When the skin dried, it became very tight around the stone, and, after being painted with devices, assumed the appearance and character of a solid globe upon a pole. This formidable instrument was borne by several warriors, who acted as ballisters. Plunged upon a boat or canoe, it was capable of sinking it. Brought down among a group of men on a sudden, it produced consternation and death.

* Though we usually think of a "ballista" as being something like a giant crossbow, it's important to remember here that the name is derived from the Latin for "To Throw."

And from the Vinland Sagas:

Karlsevni and Snorri watched them lift up a pole with a huge knob on the end, black in color, and about the size of a sheep's belly, which flew up on land over the heads of the men, and made a frightening noise when it fell. At this a great fear seized Karlsevni and his followers, so that they thought only of flight, and retreated up the stream.

Top Bottom