History Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread VII

From walking around London, most of the stone buildings which make up the centre are from about the time of Trafalgar or later. I think the grand phase of architecture was from somewhere between 1805 and 1914, and generally financed by the profits of imperial expansion and motivated by the need to show them off. It's quite remarkable how many London landmarks have the names of far-off places written on them to commemorate an invasion or a war.

As for Nazis, the German establishment in the late thirties and early forties didn't come out of the blue, especially in organisations like the armed forces. The people leading the armies into Poland had served for many years; in a sense, that probably explains why the army and navy proved much more conservative and difficult for Hitler to deal with than the air force, which was entirely built by the Nazis themselves.
You're not wrong. The navy was able to keep Jews in service until the end of the war, and the army was the main centre of resistance to Nazi rule, and the proximate source of the July 20 Plot. Military intelligence (the abwehr, under Admiral Wilhelm Canaris, straddled both.

The Nazis also had a lot of trouble taking over the civil service, and many of their civil servants ended up doing the same jobs under Weimar, the Nazis, the occupational authorites, and eventually East or West Germany, depending on what half of the country they were in. Good civil servants were, for the most part, too useful to dispose of, regardless of their political views. That's how a piece of filth like Klaus Barbie ended up working for the Americans.

There were other Nazis in positions of power prior to their, uh, Nazi-hood. Keitel immediately comes to mind. Ribbentrop probably wasn't even the most powerful; I think I just mentioned the most powerful, but Goebbels and Streicher both owned popular newspapers before they joined the Party, the aforementioned Neurath didn't join the Party until 1937, as it was seen as useful to have the Foreign Minister be a non-Nazi nationalist, and Helldorf was a ranking officer in the police force and on the verge of becoming State Chancellor of Prussia before joining the Party in March 1933. Helldorf ran the Gestapo, so he may have been more powerful than Keitel or Ribbentrop.
Well yes, but Keitel and von Neurath were civil servants who worked their way to the top and then joined the Nazis when they were in power.

With Ribbentrop, I had always assumed his career followed the trajectory of similar luminaries as Ley, Funk Hess, and Streicher. Joined the Nazi party, did something to please Hitler at some point, got promoted for it later.

So I was a little surprised when I found out he was already playing a prominent behind the scenes role in the von Papen cabinet.

You want typical Nazi economic mismanagement, combined with typical Ribbentrop foreign policy stupidity? Look no further than the fact that Germany got literally half its tungsten from China, yet unilaterally stopped trading with the latter in 1938. Goering was especially irate at the fact that as the head of the Four Year Plan, it was his job to tell German industrialists to stop trading with the country's third-largest trading partner for a vital substance. He apparently threatened to have Ribbentrop "have an accident on the autobahn."

This came three months before Ribbentrop destroyed German relations with Poland, literally Hitler's personal foreign policy project for five years. The man may have been the least competent person the Nazi's had in government, which is like saying that someone is less mobile than a corpse.

The logistics of getting tungsten from China to Germany in a world at war would be quite horrific though, I suppose.

The logistics of getting tungsten from China to Germany in a world at war would be quite horrific though, I suppose.
That's a good point. This decision was made, however, more than a full year before war broke out. Granted, Hitler intended to go to war only six months later, in October 1938. Logic would dictate, however, that Germany should strive to get as much tungsten - as well as other materials that Germany received from the Kuomintang, such as wolfram, although tungsten was by far the most important part of that trade - as possible before the outbreak of war. Especially as the trade was on hugely favourable terms for the Nazis; China was so desperate for military assistance that Germany paid most of its trade balance with WWI rifles and a few dozen military instructors.

Ribbentrop argued that Japan occupied so much of China that the vital materials could be purchased from them, but this ignored the salient points that Japan was able to request a much higher price for those goods than China would have, and, more importantly, that Japan was an industrialised state in its own right, and needed those resources itself; Japan ran a mercantilist policy in its occupied territories, kicking out foreign companies - even German ones - and monopolising the resources there for their own military build-up.

Ribbentrop's argument, as Goering pointed out, was fallacious anyway; Japan didn't control the western provinces of China, which is where the tungsten came from. This made Ribbentrop's argument about as intelligent as claiming one should abandon an alliance with Saudi Arabia for an alliance with Ethiopia in order to control the Saudi oil supply.

Heh. I'd like to point out that wolfram is just another name for tungsten. ;)

Or a chemist, given that tungsten's chemical symbol is W. :)

Ah. An extensive and enviable knowledge, then.

To expand upon the topic, why did the Nazis need tungsten for? I'm unsure if this is the right topic, and if it's not, move the post to appropriate thread?

besides in industrial processes developed at great cost and stuff so that they can't be simply changed at the whim of new age pagans like Nazis .

To expand upon the topic, why did the Nazis need tungsten for? I'm unsure if this is the right topic, and if it's not, move the post to appropriate thread?

Tungsten is one of a group of metals that are alloyed to other metals to make better metals. In this case, it's very important for the making of very hard steel alloys used in tools. Particularly drill bits. If you need to cut or drill a hole in hard steel, you need even harder steel. And that means that making guns without tungsten could be a problem. It has a lot of other uses as well.

It's used for producing armour-piercing ammunition, among other things.

Wasn't it also used in steel armour to make it less brittle? Or was that Molybdenum?

Either way, I know there was a shortage of it in the last 6 months of the war and German armour became very brittle and prone to cracking when struck by an AP shot, even if not penetrated.

Top Bottom