Quick Questions and Answers

What about other prerequisites? I think factories stop working if you lose coal. What about stable if you lose the pasture? Or if you lose a required building? Or e.g. power plants after factory stopped working because of missing coal? ..

Dunno, I defer to Browd's explanation.

When you have a terrain bonus, for example when you pick open or rough terrain bonus for your unit's promotion, does it apply to the tile you leave or the tile you attack?

For melee, it applies to the tile the battle occurs in. For ranged, it applies to the tile they're firing at.

So if you have two Infantry units in adjacent tiles with unit #1 in Forest and unit #2 in Grassland...if #1 has Open Terrain bonus then it'll get a bonus for attacking #2 but no bonus (except for the innate 25% rough terrain bonus) while defending.

When you have a terrain bonus, for example when you pick open or rough terrain bonus for your unit's promotion, does it apply to the tile you leave or the tile you attack?

the tile you attack (you see in the fight preview statistics all effective boni and mali)

So, I just started playing on Emperor...

Weird thing is, AI seems to be keeping up with me in science, even though it's modern era already. I'm still in lead according to demographics, but AI is close and has techs I don't, apparently going for different ones.

So, what techs does AI prefer?

I think the main reason why AI keeps up with me are research agreements. How exactly do they work (civilopedia isn't much help there, and it seems conflicting with online civ wiki), and when is and isn't beneficial to sign them.

So, I just started playing on Emperor...

Weird thing is, AI seems to be keeping up with me in science, even though it's modern era already. I'm still in lead according to demographics, but AI is close and has techs I don't, apparently going for different ones.

So, what techs does AI prefer?

I think the main reason why AI keeps up with me are research agreements. How exactly do they work (civilopedia isn't much help there, and it seems conflicting with online civ wiki), and when is and isn't beneficial to sign them.

I'm on vanilla, so whatever it's worth -

You can easily out tech the AI on Emperor. I always get bowman, arty, and A bombs first. IMO, the only challenge on Emperor is not getting punked the first 30 turns.

I RA as much as possible, and get the RA bonuses like PT and the social policy giving you more RA %. Get both of those and you almost double the RA yield. So even though less literate civs drag down the average, it is still worth 200-300 gold IMO.

My only hesitation is RAing the lead civ. Because since I more literate, I don't want to give him/her a boost.

There, I got in before someone smart does. ;)

Yeah, should've specified I'm playing BNW...AFAIK RAs were overhauled in expansions.

Sorry, I would rather have a root canal than return to vanilla.

I switched to B&K after your comment. It is a little more interesting. Miss the +10 food Hanging Garden, that was a game winner. Should I have gone right to BE or BNW?

BE is a completely different game (sci fi setting, etc.), although using many Civ V mechanics. You will want to migrate to BNW, but G&K includes such substantial changes to game play that it can be useful to get to know it before moving on.

BE is a completely different game (sci fi setting, etc.), although using many Civ V mechanics. You will want to migrate to BNW, but G&K includes such substantial changes to game play that it can be useful to get to know it before moving on.

thanks

I'd just jump into BNW, frankly. Learn it all at once without getting used to stuff in GnK that gets changed yet again in BNW.

I'd just jump into BNW, frankly. Learn it all at once without getting used to stuff in GnK that gets changed yet again in BNW.

Is it markedly better than B&K? It's not a problem learning B&K if it is a unique experience, but if BNW is clearly the better game I would probably jump ahead.

BNW is significantly better than GnK, yes, in quite a few ways. Though the jump in quality from vanilla to GnK is probably higher than GnK to BNW. Like if vanilla is a 4...GnK may be an 7 while BnW is a 9.

The issue with gnk is that gnk cant let you choose both piety and rationalism for example like bnw does. You can either have one social policy from the medieval era sometimes and then miss out on the other social policy from the renaissance era later. Bnw doesn't do that because you can have both openers opened without having to cancel out the other one.

Top Bottom