Rushing the Great Library

While I understand the points made above, I'd like to remind everyone that before universities are built, there are only two sources of GS points: GL and Oracle. Outside of these wonders, the only way to get an early GS [and thus academies] is either playing Babylon or filling Liberty before any other social policy [not good, imo].

Suppose there is no Babylon in the game and no one fills Liberty [or do it, but pick a GE, which the AI is more fond of]. That means getting GL and Oracle = academy monopoly; one or maybe even two planted GS b4 middle ages is a huge lead into that science snowball.

Of course, this is up to King level. Can't say anything about harder levels.

With a good starting area it is well possible to get the Great Library on Emperor. I've occasionally built it on Immortal as well.

To build the Great Library followed by the National College has some benefits beyond getting Philosophy for free, and the disadvantages are smaller than it seems, assuming you pick Liberty.

(1) The NC is typically completed right before your free Settler from Collective Rule founds a city.
(2) There is not all that much else to build, unless you go for the Pyramids which also makes a good game.
(3) Your new cities don't have to prioritize Libraries, you have all the techs that make them grow faster, with the support of trade routes when needed.
(4) Timing is such that your expansions are ready the moment Workshops or Universities become available.
(5) You have extra culture, a Great Scientist point, and both buildings give extra science per turn in addition to the multipliers.
(6) While your expansions may be behind for a while, your capital is well ahead.

(1) The NC is typically completed right before your free Settler from Collective Rule founds a city.

I assume this is taking the free worker as your second policy and pushing Collective Rule back to 4th? I don't think this is necessarily a bad idea- a free worker really helps with building an early wonder, but it does mean that you'll be starting to expand later than players who take Collective Rule as their 3rd policy (or Tradition players who aren't waiting for Collective Rule), so you'll need a lot of uncontested land to make Liberty a worthwhile choice.

I'll admit I try to rush GL if I'm playing as Babylon, Poland, or Korea. Or if I'm playing as someone other than that and have a salt start.

But other than that, I really don't try. Even in my King games, if I figure I can't get the GL by by the late turn 40s, then I won't get it. The other night it was gone on turn 35. Though I've had games where it didn't go until turn 80 (and it figures I didn't try for it--and I wished I had).

Not necessarily. ToA is a great wonder, but you need to know which starts you have where you can reasonably pull it off. I would be more than happy to be set back to get the ToA. To get the GL? No way.

Yeah but the ToA is a far far far better wonder. Its bonus scales with growth, era, etc; the Great Library gives you +1 Culture, +3 Science, +1 Great Scientist Point and ... a Free Technology.

Free Technology in the Ancient Era is really not a big deal.

Plus to me, if I had the opportunity to grab any Ancient Wonder.. And I suffered no penalty from it. It wouldn't be the Great Library.

Temple of Artemis is better. Stonehenge is better. Pyramids is better.

^^I find that if I can build GL, then I have no problem building TOA. I don't build Pyramids because I don't go liberty.

If I've got a salt start, hit a ruin for writing, then you can bet I am going for GL.

What? That doesn't even follow.

You need Pottery (column 1) and Writing (column 2) to open Great Library. You need Archery (column 1) to open Temple of Artemis.

Great Library gives you zero bonuses to building the Temple of Artemis.

If you can afford to build the Great Library and then go down to build the Temple of Artemis on Single Player you're playing at an extremely easy level.

As an Immortal/Deity player (I usually lose at Deity though), I disagree with the premise that the Great Library is a "bad" wonder at low difficulties (King and below), but I agree with Mr. Shadows that "it won't teach you how to build a solid empire, and relying on it will prevent your skills from improving." But it's certainly a VERY good wonder, and will get you into the Medieval era (and universities) VERY fast. What you sacrifice with the jump to Philosophy + 1-city National College is slow expansion. I would recommend saving money to buy one, maybe even two settlers to build your expos the turn that your National College finishes.

At lower difficulties (the only ones where it's a smart strategy anyway), the Great Library will lead to a runaway tech lead that lasts the entire game. It's a good wonder.

But it's certainly a VERY good wonder, and will get you into the Medieval era (and universities) VERY fast.

Well, it will get you ONE university, because you certainly won't have the gold to buy them, or the production to build them in any of your 3 pop expansions on terrible dirt because the AI took all the good spots.

But yeah, it will definitely get you to that point faster.

So, I'm guessing the general consensus is that the GL is fine to build if you are playing for fun and not going for achievements or "look at how wonderful I am" games. Basically a player who just wants to play a game and have fun. After all--it is just a game.

But if a serious player who wants to improve and play at the highest level, then he/she should not build it.

There is a difference between casual players who play for fun and relaxation, those who do that, but also want to go to a higher level, and the hard-core serious players.

I look at it that way because of the dart league I was in years ago. I was only Division D (the league was A-H). Anyway, we D players had no problems drinking and joking around. But the A players (the elite) would throw a fit if you even sneezed or coughed. And drank water or soda. They were way too serious.

Is that about right?

Well, it will get you ONE university, because you certainly won't have the gold to buy them, or the production to build them in any of your 3 pop expansions on terrible dirt because the AI took all the good spots.

But yeah, it will definitely get you to that point faster.

At lower levels, the AI doesn't expand so fast that you won't have any good spots for your expos. Even if your expos are crap, your science production in that one very strong city would be enough to carry you into the Renaissance, by which point your expos will have caught up.

To be clear, I am only calling it a good strategy on Emperor or lower. I did successfully build it on Immortal once (popped Writing from a hut, went for GL just as a change of pace), and it was even effective there, in that it led to an early tech lead and an easy victory. I would never try this strategy under any circumstances on Deity, for the reasons you mentioned.

But below Immortal, every game I played where I successfully built the Great Library was an insta-win. (Now that I can win on Deity, every game below Immortal is insta-win with or without the GL, but that wasn't true at the time I played them.)

So, I'm guessing the general consensus is that the GL is fine to build if you are playing for fun and not going for achievements or "look at how wonderful I am" games. Basically a player who just wants to play a game and have fun. After all--it is just a game.

But if a serious player who wants to improve and play at the highest level, then he/she should not build it.

There is a difference between casual players who play for fun and relaxation, those who do that, but also want to go to a higher level, and the hard-core serious players.

I look at it that way because of the dart league I was in years ago. I was only Division D (the league was A-H). Anyway, we D players had no problems drinking and joking around. But the A players (the elite) would throw a fit if you even sneezed or coughed. And drank water or soda. They were way too serious.

Is that about right?

I think that about sums it up. It's a bad strategy for higher difficulties. At lower difficulties, I would argue that it's a feasible strategy, but not one that will help you improve your game to the point that you can move up to higher difficulties.

Even at low difficulties, I think the GL is kind of lacking, outside of the "fun" factor of having claimed it. It used to be kind of amazing when you could slingshot way up the tech tree from it. A little too amazing actually which is why they nerfed it. :) These days, the tech tree kind of prevents getting too far with it. You basically get what you could have researched in 10 turns.

If the GL was a Wonder that came around Turn 200 instead of Turn 60-ish it would be phenomenal. Maybe overpowered even. But where it is, its hard to leverage because to use it well you really need two things: 1) the wonder itself and 2) a position on the tech tree where you can slingshot way beyond your research capabilities. Both of these things require a dedicated mindset in order to pay off.

On the other hand, The Oracle is a very similar Wonder that is more achievable and just all around better.

Even at low difficulties, I think the GL is kind of lacking, outside of the "fun" factor of having claimed it. It used to be kind of amazing when you could slingshot way up the tech tree from it. A little too amazing actually which is why they nerfed it. :) These days, the tech tree kind of prevents getting too far with it. You basically get what you could have researched in 10 turns.

If the GL was a Wonder that came around Turn 200 instead of Turn 60-ish it would be phenomenal. Maybe overpowered even. But where it is, its hard to leverage because to use it well you really need two things: 1) the wonder itself and 2) a position on the tech tree where you can slingshot way beyond your research capabilities. Both of these things require a dedicated mindset in order to pay off.

On the other hand, The Oracle is a very similar Wonder that is more achievable and just all around better.

The GL does come later, and even better...everyone can make it and you can't get beaten to it!

It's called Oxford. And people use it for Dynamite, or Navigation, or Radio, or Particle Physics, or Nanotech.

And it's a great wonder - because every single one of those techs is leaps and bounds more important than philosophy.

Originally Posted by docbud

Is that about right?

No absolutely not, there is no reason to delay founding more cities, building a bunch of workers and an army, and having more fun with the game just to build a Big Dumb Library.

The ONLY time to build this thing is when you've done all of that first. On Higher difficulties, the AI will finish the great library when you are finishing those and the wonderful caravan, which on Deity provides 4-5 standard speed science per turn or more and kills the great library.

On King and below, you can get away with starting the great library after finishing your good empire checklist and chopping down all the forests to finish it prior to turn 60 (Standard speed, standard map) when the AI's usually get it. Sometimes you still lose, but when you have 3-4 cities that are building composite bows or spears or chariots or other cool things and are out killing barbarians instead of watching them steal your workers the game gets a little more fun. And actually getting into epic battles with the AI or your friends makes the game A LOT more fun. This can't be done when all of that is sacrificed for a library, that is why its avoided on King and above and built in 10-15 standard speed turns on prince and below (If you time it right, you can build 3 libraries in your expos and the great library AT THE SAME EXACT TIME on prince. By micro-managing the tiles each citizen works, you can sync the production cycles so all of the cities build their libraries at the same time and you can start the NC the same turn you bulb philosophy, and thus focus more on filling out the entire tech tree instead of putting 15-20 turns of standard speed research into philosophy.

Plus, why would you not want to finish the game as quick as possible? Building the great library before workers, settlers, and armies is like throwing the dart backwards. You need the first 50 turns to scout, settle, and build the army. Maybe you can get away with doing it in 40, then the great library can be rushed. Or the TOA, which is more powerful later on when its time to grow the cities from 20-40 population for the ending. 10% growth helps when you have that kind of barrier to cross (Which makes capturing the thing even better).

E-L33T players getting pompous is no excuse for doing things backwards. I am no El33t, I have 1 deity win I can actually remember but never lose this game on emperor and below. The 1 Deity win though came from building an army, cities, and workers first (Including capturing them from the AI, which is ten million times better than capturing them from city-states.)

That is my point though, the great library should not be built until you have surveyed your land and your enemies and have decided how many cities, workers, and troops you need to set the foundation. Only then, and after that is close to being finished, is the great library even remotely considered a possibility if you want to enjoy this game and not sweat through hoping you don't lose and waste all of that time clicking end-turn for nothing.

Maybe I just take losing too hard, but still, this is the reason every El33t player on this forum will tell you the great library is a giant n00b trap that should be avoided at all costs on King and above standard speed standard settings single player. By the time you build what really matters, it is gone and you won't be getting those turns back in time to defend against their medieval invasion forces (not that those are that scary anyways, but they certainly raise my blood pressure regardless of how fast they die).

I typed so much I don't want to delete it all now, I feel like I am coming across like a cranky old man telling a wide-eyed whippersnapper off. But I've found this game so much more relaxing when I focus on doing things right that I can't hold my tongue. Learn from the pro's, don't mock them, you might be one one day. And don't play civ backwards! End-rant.

^^Don't worry, I'm not a wide-eyes whippersnapper :)

And I'm not mocking anyone.

I'm at work right now, but I'll reply to more of your post when I get home. Thanks for your post and input.

Is that about right?

No, not at all. Building the Great Library can often get you the fastest win.

Building the Great Library can often get you the fastest win.
Am I correct to understand that there is interest in playing the least competitive settings (e.g., Prince) the most competitive way possible?

Outside of HOF, can you explain why? I don’t get it.

It's pretty easy to get. As you say, there are HOF games, and Prince games in the Game of the Month training series and, frankly, any game by a Prince player who wants to see how well they can play before (or without) moving up in levels.

If someone is happy on Prince, and just wants to improve their Prince skills, they are perfectly entitled to to do, and to come to these forums seeking advice. Not every player needs to push the level at which they play, either for their own sake or to satisfy the expectations of strangers who cannot fathom why someone would be content to keep playing on Prince.

And let's tone down the arrogance a bit -- Prince is not "the least competitive setting". Last I checked there were three levels below Prince.

Top Bottom