What Videogames are you playing? ΙΔ - Meet your doom

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Endgame" is a misnomer. There's a whole second campaign after you kill Kitava, The Atlas of Worlds. This is what people are referring to when they use the term "maps." I'm not sure anyone calls it the "endgame." In fact, I'd say the opposite is more common: a lot of people consider the game to only really begin after they blaze through Acts I-X as quickly as they can. The recent DLC completely revamped the Atlas of Worlds campaign, too.

And if you enjoy the Delve mines, that's basically a whole third campaign. I think the furthest I've ever gone is like depth 40? I know there's stuff down there that I've never seen.

I think my highest-level character isn't even level 75. I haven't done many of the maps because I'm not great at getting through the Acts quickly before the next League starts. I think at some point, I'm just going to have to skip one of the new Leagues and play one of my existing characters. I might take up the Necromancer I was playing in Blight and see how she does in the maps.

Speaking of which, I know your existing characters get a full Passive Skills respec with each League. Does anyone know whether you have to use that right away? Can you play a few maps, just to see where the character's weaknesses are, and then use the full respec? I think I have 4 characters around lvl 70-73 who finished the Acts, but it's been a while since I've played them and I wouldn't know how to rearrange their Passives without playing them first.
With the right character, delve is great fun and a quick way to level without too much risk. My best guy can run at the 200 depth without much trouble. If I go deeper I have to pay much closer attention to what I'm doing. For Delve you have to be able to run and kill as you go and deal with large mobs in a storm of screen action; phasing is a huge help since you don't get blocked at the narrow pathways and you get hit less. I really like phasing in general and try to add it to all my guys.

The full respec can be used anytime. I have guys where I took the respec and haven't used it yet; so they are level 85 with 100+ points to spend. I also have guys that were built three leagues ago and still have a respec waiting. And yes you can use a character from an old league all you want without respecting and then respec it later. You just can't change the passive tree at all or you loose the respec until the next league. If you want to try out a standard guy's build in maps, I suggest paring up with a strong build and run a dozen maps. Not only will you level quickly, you can avoid dying and complete your atlas. Then you can respec your guy based on what you learn. With a strong partner, you can go slow and try stuff and have a back up when the boss or mobs are overwhelming. Once they fix the memory leak, I'm available. right now I can only play about 20 minutes before I have to quit the game and begin again.

Also, getting 20/20 gems is a huge buff. That is hard to do if you only have level 70 characters (unless you have lots of currency to spend.)

sad whomp noise

Fortunately Total Warhammer 2 updated so I can sink some Single Player time in.

I liked TS2, but refresh my memory: could you change the colors of items, wallpapers, etc. in game? I have Sims 3 and that was the last I played; from the sounds of the Sims 4 reviews I've seen I'm better off holding out where I am.

There's nothing like CAS's Create-a-Style, but you can download lots of recolours for the Maxis objects.

My downloads folder is a little ridiculous.

Last edited:
I forgot how goddamn looooooooooooooooong Nick's loyalty quest is. You have to find 9 tapes scattered around the commonwealth (he gives you a 10th) though I found out that if you have good lockpicking skills and know where the hidden bunker is, you can skip most of the quest. That information came too late and I'm now on my last tape - at Quincy ruins.

What I also forgot from my previous play throughs is how tough Quincy ruins can be with high level gunners, one of which has a fat man with a decent supply of mini nukes. What makes it especially challenging is that the main approaches to the town are sort of walled off so you can't pick people off with snipers and this also makes it harder to throw my ICBM transponders at clusters of enemies. I tried to storm the place and got my ass handily kicked twice so now I'm going to try something different -

I'm going to retake the castle so I can build up artillery cannons and I'm going to place a squad of them at nearby Jamaica Plains. I've already set up that particular settlement with everything but the cannons. Once I've got the artillery set up, I'm going to go back to Quincy and target it with Minuteman flares, and artillery and ICBM strikes until I at least take down the nuke-toting gunner. Could be fun or really poopy.
Well it makes sense to me now why Quincy is so hard to take. Those walls I talked about feature heavily in the town's lore as did my solution to the problem of taking the town.

Before you start the game, the Gunners collapsed part of a highway to make it a ramp from which they could get over the city walls and defenses. The Gunners then set up a headquarters for the town on the highway itself to prevent someone from getting over their own defenses. What they didn't anticipate was an enemy with a buzzsaw of a shotgun funnelling them down the highway to their doom. I started down the highway and killed on Gunner which caused a flood of them to leave the town and barrel down the highway at me. That was pretty foolhardy on their part because while on the elevated highway, they had no way to flank me and they all came straight at me and my explosive bouncin' betty gun.

I ended up having more problems with the leveled assaultron next to the police station. She can shoot her eye laser while cloaked and I ended up using my final ICBM and a bunch of grenades trying to take her down while she was invisible.

On the upside, the non-broken game runs perfectly on Windows 10. But this is a super-touchy game.

Well, until something breaks.

You know, I could actually be playing a game that WORKS PROPERLY. Maybe deep down I'm just some sort of masochist.

Another tweak to the graphics memory got it working again. :cringe:

Last edited:
Since it's now the 25th, I finally loaded up Cities: Skylines. I'm not sure I know what I'm doing though.

Since it's now the 25th, I finally loaded up Cities: Skylines. I'm not sure I know what I'm doing though.

I did better now (except that I forgot to power the wateroutput so everyone's sewage started backing up)

But then everyone started complaining of blackouts....and despite them saying there wasn't enough power to call/email the power company, they were able to post it on Chirper??

Question for @Lemon Merchant . What was the name of that game where You command a squad of soldiers during WW2, You recommended a few years back . It's a squad level tactical game.

The elusive Heroes IV. I can see why the Heroes package in steam includes 3 & 5, and pretends the 4th game never existed. All because McGuire and Ben Carson designed the game. So that the wall cannot be broken but somehow you can attack through it.

Question for @Lemon Merchant . What was the name of that game where You command a squad of soldiers during WW2, You recommended a few years back . It's a squad level tactical game.

I think not, I only remember second part was subtitled "sentinels" IIRC

Silent Storm? It has an expansion called Sentinels. It's also on sale for 75% off.

Here:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...at-are-not-civilization.567966/#post-14287900

I have all sorts of shiny new games I could be playing. So of course I'm playing these instead.

EDIT: You can also get for Android.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mindustry is free/name your price on itch.io or $3 (50% off) on Steam at the moment, and it's basically a more interesting/accessible Factorio, it adds tower defense elements and a small strategy window

Syn got it right. IT is Silent Storm and its sequel Sentinels.

Hope you enjoy it. :)

I've been playing a lot of AdVenture Communist lately. It's cute, and fun to play for little bits at a time ... you have to leave it, most of the "game" happens when you're not playing, lol! But it's really cute.

I'm super jelly @aimeeandbeatles. I downloaded a demo of Cities: Skylines and it struggled to run with just 2 houses on a street so I didn't get the full version. I hope I get to upgrade to a proper gaming PC sometime in the next couple of years or so. Of course over that time frame the PS5 will release and I'll probably get one of those instead.

Does Preston Garvey ever stop giving you tasks in FO4? I can't wait to grab his perk and send him in exile to a far flung outpost where I never interact with him.

I'm considering getting a mod to turn off attacks on settlements. I don't mind the attacks themselves but in Survival mode there is no fast travel and it can be a real chore to have to hoof it all the way across the commonwealth to defend a settlement and then hoof all the way back to where you were originally. I've also failed a handful of defense quests because I was in the middle of a mission I could not get away from. The defense rating for all of my settlements is above the food+water rating but that doesn't seem to stop any attacks from spawning. Maybe that's a survival mode feature?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom