Resource icon

[GRAPHICS] Civilization IV Remaster 1.7.3

tomekum updated Civilization IV Remaster (aka Civ 6 tileset) with a new update entry:

Clouds of War beta

Changes:
- Added beta version of clouded fog of war effect.

Link to video.

To install shader you need to:
1. Find shaders folder of your Beyond the Sword installation. For steam users it's usually
C:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Shaders
2. Backup original FXO folder inside folder from point 1
3. Copy FXO folder from Civ IV Remaster.7z archive (modded FXO is located in /Shaders folder) into folder...

Read the rest of this update entry...

To install clouds for of war shader you need to:
1. Find shaders folder of your Beyond the Sword installation. For steam users it's usually
C:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Shaders
2. Backup original FXO folder inside folder from point 1
3. Copy FXO folder from Civ IV Remaster.7z archive (modded FXO is located in /Shaders folder) into folder from point 1 (override existing files)
4. Play the game

Link to video.

To anyone interested in development of this mod. I added the repo to github: https://github.com/tomekumb/civ4remaster

Last edited:
Wow! It's so good to see that the grey fog is also working - it wasn't visible in the previous videos.
Yeah, the previous videos were too short to showcase gray fog. But now it looks even better with more smooth transition between clouds and grey fog. Man, I thought that it wouldn't be possible to make clouded fog of war but now it's here. I guess I will take a short break and play the actual game for a change :)

I guess I will take a short break and play the actual game for a change :)
You do that right. Enjoy your work, find and fix some bugs, improve it if you will and than share the code with us, so we may merge it into our mods :D

Well, I had to try the mod now. Beautiful clouds. I think you're aware that sea ice is still rendered black. Also the Great Wall. Screenshots:
Spoiler :

ice.jpg

TGW.jpg

I don't see the growth and production turns on the city bar currently (another known issue, I assume). And disabling wide city bars has this result:
Spoiler :

citybars-short.jpg

Apart from that, the merge seems to have worked well. I was a little worried about the save-compatibility stuff, but, I guess so long as the Remaster doesn't make changes of its own to the save format, no adjustment is needed.

Well, I had to try the mod now. Beautiful clouds. I think you're aware that sea ice is still rendered black. Also the Great Wall. Screenshots:
I don't see the growth and production turns on the city bar currently (another known issue, I assume). And disabling wide city bars has this result:Apart from that, the merge seems to have worked well. I was a little worried about the save-compatibility stuff, but, I guess so long as the Remaster doesn't make changes of its own to the save format, no adjustment is needed.
Yes. I am aware of the icebergs visible over clouds but I am afraid I don't know how to fix this now. I tried multiple changes in shaders but nothing seems to affect them. I didn't know of great wall bug I will check it out.

About city bar. The growth and production turns should work correctly for wide citybar. If you overriden the old version of my mod, try to delete citybar.nif file from Civ IV Remaster\Assets\Art\Interface\citybar folder. I tested it out a momen t ago and it looks like that:

screen12.png

I am not planning on supporting the short city bar, so I guess I will remove the option to disable wide city bar.

Yes. I am aware of the icebergs visible over clouds but I am afraid I don't know how to fix this now. I tried multiple changes in shaders but nothing seems to affect them.
Just a random idea: Did you try changing the icebergs first?

Just a random idea: Did you try changing the icebergs first?
I don't belive it but I finally did it. Now the Clouds of War are fully working with hidden icebergs and Great Wall under the clouds. It wasn't easy as this time the code responsible for the bug was not in pixel shader where I could sample the fog texture and based on the color decide to hide the object but in vertex shader. And it appeared that in vertex shader you can't sample texture for color. Well... after 2 hours I finally resolved the issue by increasing the vertex version of the shader from 1.1 to 3.0 which supports sampling the textures. It feels good man. Now I will go to sleep :)

Edit: Ok, it was really late and I set the threshold to hide objects in fog too high. Now in 1.6.3 version it should be alright.

Last edited:
About city bar. The growth and production turns should work correctly for wide citybar. If you overriden the old version of my mod, try to delete citybar.nif file from Civ IV Remaster\Assets\Art\Interface\citybar folder. I tested it out a momen t ago and it looks like that: [...]
That looks good. I didn't overwrite an earlier version. Well, I'll try again with the latest version or maybe once the wide-bar option has been removed. Currently, I get this:
Spoiler :

Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG

But I wouldn't worry unless others report the same issue. (Nice to see that nothing breaks when the original shaders are used.)

i saw a small bug,
i think the alpha for the map food symbols has a small dark line above a symbol with 1 bread and 1 gold.
the rest seems fine.

another note,
merging only the stuff for the terrain and city becomes a bit entangled cause its now a larger mod.

im very happy to see usage of the Taurus mod by f1rpo.

cheers.

That looks good. I didn't overwrite an earlier version. Well, I'll try again with the latest version or maybe once the wide-bar option has been removed. Currently, I get this:
Spoiler :

View attachment 650703
But I wouldn't worry unless others report the same issue. (Nice to see that nothing breaks when the original shaders are used.)
Hmm, that's odd. Maybe it's one of the Taurus options but it should work for defaults. I will try to reproduce it somehow until then it would be hard to fix this.

i saw a small bug,
i think the alpha for the map food symbols has a small dark line above a symbol with 1 bread and 1 gold.
the rest seems fine.

another note,
merging only the stuff for the terrain and city becomes a bit entangled cause its now a larger mod.

im very happy to see usage of the Taurus mod by f1rpo.

cheers.
Nice find with this dark line. I didn't notice it until I zoomed in. I'll surely try to fix it in another version. Seems more like a texture issue than shader hopefully :)

And yes, the mod gets bigger. But if you want to merge terrain stuff then you could focus mostly on Assets/Art/Terrain folder. The city bar and new icons are in Assets/Art/interface/citybar and Assets/Art/interface/symbols. But I would merge most of the Taurus mod stuff. It's so good :)

my mod is based on ADVciv, so i sorta for Tauros also :) it is great.

thank im aware of the moving parts for the terrain, i just hope i wont miss stuff when you update. though no worries.

another thing,
zooming out all the way - shows the black fog, not serious .
its so beautiful .

my mod is based on ADVciv, so i sorta for Tauros also :) it is great.

thank im aware of the moving parts for the terrain, i just hope i wont miss stuff when you update. though no worries.

another thing,
zooming out all the way - shows the black fog, not serious .
its so beautiful .
You could track the changes on my github repository here https://github.com/tomekumb/civ4remaster/commits/main

And yes. The zoomed out black fog is completely different shader/feature of the game and it's probably not possible to change that. But maybe in the future :)

Glad you like it. Cheers!

Top Bottom