Would You EatThis: The Kiwiburger?

^Isn't a burger anything that has a round centerpiece? (by which definition, Oxford university is a burger).
Don't we already have a thread about what constitutes a burger? I know there's a thread about sandwiches.

There's one fast food chain that sells square burgers. :p

If you do not mind me asking, how do you feel about other similar vegetables, such as turnips, swedes (Rutabaga?) and even carrots?
I liked turnips for about 20 minutes when I was 5. Then I haven't liked them since.

The word "rutabaga" did not come through on the email notification for this post, so my immediate reaction is that swedes are not food, because I'm not into cannibalism! :ack:

(never had rutabagas, so I don't know)

Carrots are fine. Peas are fine. So is corn and broccoli (I'd happily eat broccoli every day).

Green and yellow beans are not food, either.

Don't we already have a thread about what constitutes a burger? I know there's a thread about sandwiches.

There's one fast food chain that sells square burgers. :p

I liked turnips for about 20 minutes when I was 5. Then I haven't liked them since.

The word "rutabaga" did not come through on the email notification for this post, so my immediate reaction is that swedes are not food, because I'm not into cannibalism! :ack:

(never had rutabagas, so I don't know)

Carrots are fine. Peas are fine. So is corn and broccoli (I'd happily eat broccoli every day).

Green and yellow beans are not food, either.
Broccoli though boring is good for you. Prefer spinach myself.

Broccoli though boring is good for you. Prefer spinach myself.
Broccoli is wonderful, and goes with just about everything. I've got some cans of cream of broccoli soup in the pantry.

My favorite Chinese food place includes broccoli in their wonton soup.

Going by google, it appears the defining trait of a "kiwiburger" is that it has a fried egg in it.
I am not really enticed by the idea of eating an egg and a burger at the same time...

Also, what does "it's Kiwi as []" mean? Pretty terridumb phrase - let alone that the egg there looks like a slice of orange ^^ Maybe "this food is what Kiwi is, so everything Kiwi enough is approximating in that a Kiwiburger"?

View attachment 651047
"X as" means "very X" or "completely X".

Broccoli is only boring if you don't prepare it well. If all you do is steam/boil, throw in a pat of butter and maybe some salt or pepper damn near every vegetable will disappoint. Today I had roasted broccoli seasoned with salt, fresh ground black pepper, red pepper flakes, and some lemon juice spritzed on after the cook was done. Delicious.

In the cases of green or yellow beans instead of turning them to mush try a quick blanche followed up by pan frying them in some bacon fat. Add in some diced onion. Served tossed with some chopped up bacon and it's a wonderful side to serve with a good pork roast which can still be had cheap ($2 a lb or so) in my part of the US.

Can I sub out the beets for kiwifruit? Beets are the one vegetable where I will always skip a dish if it contains them.

At least it doesn't contain kiwi bird, those are small and cute and somewhat endangered I think?

Rutabagas can be good. I chop them up into cubes and put the cubes in a bag with olive oil and spices and toss them around and then put them on a pan and roast them. They're a bit knife-resistant to cut though so make sure the knives are sharp before chopping. My first experience with rutabagas was in college when the were the answer to a clue in some word party game, but not one knew what they were, so we quickly learned that if the clue was, "the vegetable that no one knows what is is!", the answer was "rutabaga". But once I tried one, I found that they were not bad. A bit mild, needs some spice or other toppings to go with it like most potatoes.

Edit: And yes, of the big chains, the one that sells square burgers is my favorite fast food burger joint. I almost never get a fast food burger nowadays, but if I do I'll get a square one.

A while back I moved to a town small enough that we don't have any of the national fast food chains. While traveling I grabbed a Wendy's burger for the first time in close to a year and it did a number on my gut.

Going by google, it appears the defining trait of a "kiwiburger" is that it has a fried egg in it.
I am not really enticed by the idea of eating an egg and a burger at the same time...

Also, what does "it's Kiwi as []" mean? Pretty terridumb phrase - let alone that the egg there looks like a slice of orange ^^ Maybe "this food is what Kiwi is, so everything Kiwi enough is approximating in that a Kiwiburger"?

View attachment 651047
That's the McDonald's one.

A while back I moved to a town small enough that we don't have any of the national fast food chains. While traveling I grabbed a Wendy's burger for the first time in close to a year and it did a number on my gut.

Here Wendy's is crap. I can eat McD's, Birger King, KFC but Wendy's is very meh.

Looks too loaded for me ;)
Cheese, onions and usually tomatos already give all the flavor i want in burgers.
Even then I take out the onion too. Still plenty of food there.

It's funny seeing a burger and salad on a full bread roll called a 'plain burger '.

Maccas has an Angus Aussie Burger with beetroot being advertised.

It's a kiwi thing, saying "[] as". Usually we say "sweet as", basically means "that's great"; there's never anything after "as". Don't insult it!

I couldn't call that burger Kiwi through and through though, it looks like a normal burger to me. Burger and egg go well together but the burgers I eat are homemade, not from Maccas.

(Sorry Arwon. I couldn't read. I blame NCEA.)

When
So off camping soon and we went to one of our favorites for dinner and I ordered this.

View attachment 651007

View attachment 651008

Kiwiburgers usually have beetroot and egg in them. This one is essentially a cheeseburger in a brioche bun with egg, bacon and beetroot I'm it. I got them to hold the beetroot. Chips came with aioli I think and had skins on them.

Pretty damn good burger anyway.
From the thread title I thought it was going to be a kiwi fruit sandwich. This was a pleasant surprise. I don't like beets but I'd eat that burger and probably leave the beet on it. My problem with beets isn't the taste, it the lack of taste... so beets covered in fried egg, bacon and cheese would go down without me even noticing them. I prefer pickle and/or onion and/or tomato on my burgers FTR.

I have never tasted kiwi bird, I like kiwi fruit.
Expected both, got none :(

When

From the thread title I thought it was going to be a kiwi fruit sandwich. This was a pleasant surprise. I don't like beets but I'd eat that burger and probably leave the beet on it. My problem with beets isn't the taste, it the lack of taste... so beets covered in fried egg, bacon and cheese would go down without me even noticing them. I prefer pickle and/or onion and/or tomato on my burgers FTR.

Tomorrow apparently weather forecast means it's iffy.

My problem with beets isn't the taste, it the lack of taste
How do you cook them? If you boil them whole, leaving on at least the stalks of the leaves and the thin root at the bottom they keep much more of their flavour than if you cut them up before cooking.

It's a kiwi thing, saying "[] as". Usually we say "sweet as", basically means "that's great"; there's never anything after "as". Don't insult it!

I couldn't call that burger Kiwi through and through though, it looks like a normal burger to me. Burger and egg go well together but the burgers I eat are homemade, not from Maccas.

(Sorry Arwon. I couldn't read. I blame NCEA.)
That's TIL as.

Broccoli is only boring if you don't prepare it well. If all you do is steam/boil, throw in a pat of butter and maybe some salt or pepper damn near every vegetable will disappoint. Today I had roasted broccoli seasoned with salt, fresh ground black pepper, red pepper flakes, and some lemon juice spritzed on after the cook was done. Delicious.
My grandmother was an expert at ruining broccoli, which is why I prefer it in Chinese food. It's the only time I ever got it prepared so it had the right taste and texture.

The soup I mentioned is okay (Tim Hortons soup is available in cans now; my favorite is tomato/parmesan).

I like steamed carrots, and they don't need to be fancy. We did a cinnamon carrots dish in the SCA one year for a feast, and it was good.

Lemon juice is something I can't have too much of.

In the cases of green or yellow beans instead of turning them to mush try a quick blanche followed up by pan frying them in some bacon fat. Add in some diced onion. Served tossed with some chopped up bacon and it's a wonderful side to serve with a good pork roast which can still be had cheap ($2 a lb or so) in my part of the US.
Sorry, but I don't care what you do to them - for me, they are not food. I've tried, and both the taste and texture are revolting.

Some vegetables are like that; I've heard that some people's taste buds find them too bitter to tolerate, or revolting in some other way. I don't do Brussels sprouts or asparagus, either. I can't even stand the smell of asparagus; the stench is awful.

The only way I can tolerate cauliflower is if it's pickled, but it's been many years since I've had pickles. I think the goaround I had with ulcer issues and having to be careful about acidic foods has put me off of many things I used to like.

The only good thing Wendy's has is chili. I can't stand the rest of it.

If I want a fast-food burger, McDonalds cheeseburgers are my go-to. I get the food and Maddy gets the wrapper to play with.

Wouldn't putting kiwifruit in a burger make it soggy? It's like putting pineapple on pizza without draining it. It makes the dough soggy.

Top Bottom