Would You EatThis: The Kiwiburger?

Doesn't go on burgers.

It's an essential component of beef & broccoli. I will admit that the beef is in a different form than burgers, though.

No. The beetroot on burgers has to come out of a tin.
This is new. I have never seen canned beetroot. What is it like?

How do you cook them? If you boil them whole, leaving on at least the stalks of the leaves and the thin root at the bottom they keep much more of their flavour than if you cut them up before cooking.
Lols, I don't cook them, cause I don't like them :lol:
My grandmother was an expert at ruining broccoli, which is why I prefer it in Chinese food. It's the only time I ever got it prepared so it had the right taste and texture.
So true... Chinese food broccoli is the most reliable at having that beautiful emerald green just a little past blanching perfection, where its just barely fully cooked, where there is no nasty raw broccoli funk left and no overcooked broccoli bitterness yet. Raw broccoli is inedible, hardly even food... not as bad as beets;), but still pretty terrible. Overcooked broccoli is ghastly and the more overcooked it is the worse it gets, soggy, putrid colour... just disgusting:yuck:. Perfectly cooked broccoli is heavenly:yumyum:. There really is no middle ground.

One challenge I have with cooking broccoli is that you have to time it so that you stop cooking it, way before it is actually ready, because it continues to cook even after you've turned of the heat and removed if from the stove, even after you drain it, its still cooking, so broccoli that was perfect at first, starts to go yucky in a few minutes. But I've found that when cooking/steaming/boiling broccoli, if you accidentally make the mistake of cooking all the way to perfect rather than taking it off the heat early, you can sometimes save your broccoli by quickly draining the water and then dumping a bunch of ice water onto it. It instantly shuts down the cooking process. Of course you broccoli is then cold, and has to be re-salted but cold crispy broccoli is better than overcooked soggy broccoli.
Wouldn't putting kiwifruit in a burger make it soggy? It's like putting pineapple on pizza without draining it. It makes the dough soggy.
One option I like for preventing that on a sandwich is to use a leaf or layer of shredded lettuce, or a layer of mayo (or butter) before placing the wet fruit. Of course it works for tomatoes, tuna, even the meat itself, pretty much anything juicy.

Last edited:
YOU MANIACS!!:mad:

1674098374766.jpeg

YOU OVERCOOCKED THE BROCCOLI!!!:gripe::yuck:

Just want to pipe up and say that broccoli on pizza is incredibly underrated. That's all.
How do you do it? Do you cook it before? Do you slice it thin? It seems to me like broccoli would take a lot longer to cook in the oven than a pizza.

Last edited:
How do you do it? Do you cook it before? Do you slice it thin? It seems to me like broccoli would a lot longer to cook in the oven than a pizza.
Traditionally, I order it :D

But I have made it once or twice, and you parboil it beforehand. You don't want it ready to eat; it'll wilt too much in the oven. I only have a home oven, not a pizza oven, so maxing that out at about 220 - 240 (C) seems to cook it well with the rest of the pizza, sometimes with a little charring on top (which is fine). A pizza oven will likely do even better. Instructions will vary depending on your oven and how the timings work out for you. It's taken a good couple of years of practise to get handy with pizzas (generally) in mine, and mine's brand-new (in that it's two and a half years old - we got it when we started renting our current place, which was completely unfurnished).

EDIT - I forgot cutting instructions. Little bunches. Doesn't need to be sliced thin. The general juices of the pizza toppings help it cook as well. You can probably get a drier broccoli by having less toppings (which does work, just add a pinch of salt and maybe red pepper flakes or dried crushed chillies).

You're British right?
Sure, but I also eat sprouting broccoli, purple (sprouting) broccoli and generally whatever kinds of broccoli I can get my hands on. It's not so much a British thing. Most of my cooking notes come from either trying to do a better version of a takeaway (for less money, but more effort, which is a real painful choice with two young kids :D), or emulating Mediterranean dishes.

Last edited:
How about this peeps? Fish and Chip shop fry all sorts of things, do burgers, Chinese and often toasties.

IMG_20230119_192414.jpg

Chicken, cheese and bacon burger with curry roll and pineapple ring. Fine dining that is?!! Cheapest takeaways in NZ lol.
IMG_20230119_192842.jpg

Said curry roll and pineapple ring cut open.

Two burgers, chips, roll and ring was around $15 SD.

Top Bottom