General Politics Three: But what is left/right?

The New Deal built stuff I still use. The Square Deal was needed for it's time. Political machines rolled along just fine during both periods, corruption rolled along just fine during both periods. The government is still necessary to build things I need. Like a Farm Bill from the current decade would be nice. There is also still aldermanic privilege in the City of Chicago, corruption still prey on people, on purpose, and the government humors cakebaker-chasers and the klan alike. Do we really need all this reduced to prima facie simplicity? Because that won't work. Survivor bias might make it work... but only for a while and probably not at all.

Sorry, I never acknowledged this, I do apologize for being mistaken.

Japan PM Kishida slams ruling party event with scantily-clad dancers​

Japan's Prime Minister Fumio Kishida has slammed a gathering of ruling party members last November that involved scantily-clad dancers.

Leaked footage of the event, organised by a chapter of the Liberal Democratic Party, showed women in swimwear sitting on participants' laps, reports said.

The event was "highly inappropriate and most regrettable", said Mr Kishida when grilled by lawmakers on Friday.

At least one of the event organisers has since resigned from the party.

The women, who are reportedly part of the Osaka and Kyoto-based Glamor Dancers troupe, were asked to use their mouths to receive banknotes hanging from participants' mouths, claimed local media reports.

The event was attended by members of the Liberal Democratic Party (LDP)'s youth division in the western city of Wakayama.

One of the organisers, Tetsuya Kawabata, had earlier sought to defend the event by saying that the presence of the "go-go dancers" - referring to dancers employed to entertain crowds in nightclubs - were intended to ensure "diversity".

"We invited the dancers after studying from various viewpoints, including whether it matches the theme of diversity," Mr Kawabata, deputy head of the local LDP youth wing, told Japanese broadcaster All-Nippon News Network.

The gathering sparked "excitement that... exceeded my expectations", reports quoted Mr Kawabata as saying.

He has now reportedly resigned from the party.

The LDP's nationwide youth wing had earlier apologised and said two other MPs who attended the event would step down from their posts in the division.

On Wednesday, Mr Kishida said the event did not "match the cabinet's goal of diversity".

"What my cabinet seeks is an inclusive society where all people feel the meaning of life with their dignity and diversity respected," local media reports quoted him as saying.

He added that the event was funded by the participants' membership fees, not taxpayers' money.

This is the latest in a string of other scandals that the LDP has been confronted with, most notably one over a fundraising scandal involving the party's most powerful faction.

It also comes at a time when the party is seeking to get more women into the male-dominated world of Japanese politics. Mr Kishida's cabinet now features a record number of five women.

However, his government's approval ratings are at their lowest since the LDP returned to power in 2012. An opinion poll on Thursday showed the approval rate standing at 18% in March.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-68572666

Those entities are not owned by an organization that points nuclear warhead tipped missiles at me. And you. While engaging in much more rigorous behavior exactly like we're quibbling about when the shoe is on the other foot. That the FBI shouldn't have some info is not a good argument for, "Why not Poobear, too?"
I don't see much of a nexus between China's nukes and TikTok. My personal data isn't going to have any impact on China nuking me or anyone else. Anyway, when the nukes start flying, my Target browsing history isn't going to matter.

Also, Im skeptical about the largest most powerful US corporations exerting less influence/control over the US government than China does over TikTok.

So... in any case... relative fear, essentially? Makes perfect sense, but that was pretty much what I was getting at. Whether its "China" or "AMAZON" or "Bill Gates" or "Pooh Bear"... it all boils down to whether I am afraid of them "spying on me/collecting on my data" or not, and how afraid I am of them relative to someone else. Personally, "China has nukes" doesn't particularly inspire more fear of TikTok collecting my data than fear of my own government collecting my data from Google does.

So... in any case... relative fear, essentially? Makes perfect sense, but that was pretty much what I was getting at. Whether its "China" or "AMAZON" or "Bill Gates" or "Pooh Bear"... it all boils down to whether I am afraid of them "spying on me/collecting on my data" or not, and how afraid I am of them relative to someone else. Personally, "China has nukes" doesn't particularly inspire more fear of TikTok collecting my data than fear of my own government collecting my data from Google does.
This. I mean, what's China going to do? Ban me from entering? Send me passive aggressive emails? Where as our own governments can absolutely use the information they collect to put us in silence and oppress us should they choose to. Or in the case of the more barbaric countries literally send a murder squad of armed police to bust down the door.

So I agree. I'd much rather give my information to someone who can't touch me than to someone who very much can.

lso, Im skeptical about the largest most powerful US corporations exerting less influence/control over the US government than China does over TikTok.
I am not.

You cannot organize friends to go pick up garbage by the river in the PRC. I makes different people need to acknowledge the garbage by the river, in public, and that's disharmonious. People are people everywhere. Yet societies are not the same.

Russia has more nuclear weapons than the US.
And the PRC, much like NK and its natural resource hat to the north, have pledged their foreign policy to the murder and violent subjugation of their neighbors.

Anyone that's confused should go read the Imperial Japanese response to the League of Nations and realize this **** is not new at all. It is not complicated at all. It cannot be reasoned with. But that does not mean evil is not rational. Or that it does not have friends.

"The free world" is underbuilding weapons. It's being devoured by predatory finance.

Last edited:

Russia has more nuclear weapons than the US.
To paraphrase an unrelated, spicy saying... "anymore than [censored] enough to destroy life on earth is a waste."

According to your link, Russia has 5000+ nukes and the US has 5000+ nukes, no other county has more than 500, and China is by far the closest, with about 400.

It would only take 10-100 nukes to end life on earth. So who has "more" is trivial at this point.

I wouldn't put much stock in the numbers on that article.

Why?

I've heard a number as high as 400 (to destroy the world) and I've heard anecdotally, from people with firsthand, eyewitness experience, about stockpiles as large and endless as the underground warehouses depicted in Indiana Jones.

The bottom line is that numerous countries have enough nukes to end life on Earth. So who has "more" doesn't mean jack ****.

If there is a global nuclear war, the Superbowl is cancelled and so is the Taylor Swift concert tour... and my browsing history is meaningless, TikTok or no TikTok.

An opinion poll on Thursday showed the approval rate standing at 18% in March.
Down to 17% now. If I ever meet one of these 17%, I will tell you. :lol:

edit: I think when Nigel Farage said “you have the charisma of a damp rag and the appearance of a low-grade bank clerk” he wasn’t talking to the EU guy, he was predicting our future

The only global death event I've heard involves nuclear winter from bunker busters ejecting dirt into the stratosphere and forming a sun reflecting layer over the earth. But how many it would take, or if Tak, Arion, and Zard would be somewhat safer in the southern hemisphere, seems debatable. Radiation is pretty bad, but it getting everyone everyone is harder than it would sound. Unspent fuel might do it, but then even a destructive conventional war could cause that.

"Only" billions would die after a nuclear exchange strong enough to establish a global nuclear winter. Probably not all of us, but society as we know it would collapse, possibly for good.

Neville was a sensible man.

The only global death event I've heard involves nuclear winter from bunker busters ejecting dirt into the stratosphere and forming a sun reflecting layer over the earth. But how many it would take, or if Tak, Arion, and Zard would be somewhat safer in the southern hemisphere, seems debatable. Radiation is pretty bad, but it getting everyone everyone is harder than it would sound. Unspent fuel might do it, but then even a destructive conventional war could cause that.

Actually Vulcanic Winters are both more common and more likely, imho.

You foreigners might blow up our planet, but the planet is known to blow itself up sporadically :)

To paraphrase an unrelated, spicy saying... "anymore than [censored] enough to destroy life on earth is a waste."

According to your link, Russia has 5000+ nukes and the US has 5000+ nukes, no other county has more than 500, and China is by far the closest, with about 400.

It would only take 10-100 nukes to end life on earth. So who has "more" is trivial at this point.
Hu, no. It would take 10-100 to "put human race in peril". That's a veeeeeeeeeeeeeeery long call from "ending life on Earth".

Neville isn't satire. And I'm not being facetious. He was quite sane. Almost certainly a good man.

Top Bottom