Alexander's Conquests development thread

1. Go to the "General Settings" tab in the editor
2. Change "Basic" and "Advanced" barbarians to "none".

Hi Virote,

If you do both, AND use a custom map, should there be any barbarian huts at all? And if so, will they be defended?

Thanks,

Oz

There will be some Barbarian huts, and they will not be defended. I guess they make good tribute.

One good thing to do would be to have pre-placed Barbarian units, who are quite strong, but there will only be what you have at the begining.

I'll try it with No Barbarians in the scenario tab, see what happens.

Quinzy - thanks for spotting that, Keltoi it is then. :) BTW, have you had a chance to look at those Indian temples yet. No rush - this is going to take ages to test, :( and I know you're busy with other projects and units.

once my exams finish tomorrow i'll have lotsa free time. everything in on hiatus till then :)

and no problem on that.

Best of luck with the exams - they're more important (in the long term) than civ.

General update - The more I put in the scenario, the more I realise I still need to add. I recon the thing will play as it is, but there's lots more work left. I think I may have fixed the hanging bug, and I've made loads of alterations based on the experience I've had in my personal testing. The three things that weigh heaviest on my mind are:

The Ghost Resource bug - I've got rid of loads of strategic resources, and it seems OK now, but it could ruin the balance of the game if I've got it wrong.

The Hanging Problem - Think it's sorted now. :cool: But this is a known problem with Civ 3, rather than one scenario in particular. I just hope it doesn't become enough of a problem to wreck my scenario.

The tech timers - There are loads of issues around using timer techs, but I think that I've tested them all out. For reference - the Great library flag messes the system up if more than one wonder (or a small wonder) has it, and the scientific trait ruins it all if you have a timer stretching over two eras.

Kuveni sounds OK, though if you can find any queens closer to 300 BCE they would be better. I'm happy that I can finally get a female LH into the scenario.
Trolling the web the only other name I can find is Manikilli, a Chola princess mentioned only as the mother of a Chera (Kerala) King. And she's a little late (1-2 century CE). This is frustrating because I find references to how matriarchal the Tamils were before the Classical era (1st-5th CE), but no names. If this is worth pursuing further it's going to involve breathing in the heady aroma of decomposing books in seldom visited library stacks.

On another note, if you've already seen this stuff I apologize, but here's a portal to Greek and Roman writings about India.

Kuveni should do OK - it gives me an excuse to use that LH anyway.
If this is worth pursuing further it's going to involve breathing in the heady aroma of decomposing books in seldom visited library stacks.
That is an aroma I remember well from the days before the internet. :)
On another note, if you've already seen this stuff I apologize, but here's a portal to Greek and Roman writings about India.
That's a really good resource. :cool: Have you included it in your Bazaar? I'll get a few pointers from the accounts there for sure.

BTW - Should I use the name Sandracottus instead of Chandragupta for the Mauryans?

That's a really good resource. :cool: Have you included it in your Bazaar? I'll get a few pointers from the accounts there for sure.
One of the things I hope to do during this holiday break is get a lot of things like that posted.

BTW - Should I use the name Sandracottus instead of Chandragupta for the Mauryans?
Since this is a Hellenocentric mod that would be fine; I'd put a blurb in the appropriate civilopedia entries explaining the various AKAs. The Indians called the Greeks "Yavanas", or more generally "mlecchas" (foreign barbarians). I know I've come across a Greek name for the southern Indian civ they traded with (The Cholas). I'll track that down and post it for you, maybe you can use that instead of Tamils.

Okay it was the Cheras not the Cholas (they're next door neighors) who were apparently the big traders with the Greeks. To quote Wikipedia: "The unknown author of Periplus of the Erythraean Sea mentions Kerala as Cerobothra while Pliny, the Roman historian of the first century, calls it Caelobothras."

Edit: "putra" can mean "child of" or "son of" and is sometimes used as part of geographic names (like the Brahmaputra River), so Cerobothra may be a Hellenized version of Chera-putra.

I forgot to implement espionage in the beta version. :mischief: So, questions:

1 - Embassies get closed in wartime. Does that mean that if 'conduct propaganda' is a diplomat mission then it is impossible to carry it out in wartime?

2 - Does anyone who how to alter the possibility of planting a spy successfully in the editor? Am I just limited to the conscipt, regular, veteran and elite options in the government tab?

3 - If propaganda is both a diplomat and a spy mission, then are the diplomats more likely to succeed than the spies?

As always, any help appreciated. :D

I forgot to implement espionage in the beta version. :mischief: So, questions:

1 - Embassies get closed in wartime. Does that mean that if 'conduct propaganda' is a diplomat mission then it is impossible to carry it out in wartime?

2 - Does anyone who how to alter the possibility of planting a spy successfully in the editor? Am I just limited to the conscipt, regular, veteran and elite options in the government tab?

3 - If propaganda is both a diplomat and a spy mission, then are the diplomats more likely to succeed than the spies?

As always, any help appreciated. :D

1. I believe Virote is correct.
2. I DON'T know how this really (if it) works, but if you select "Active Player", then edit "Diplomats & Spies", there is the option under "Select a civ in which to plant a spy" in which it seems you can type in the Civ in question. That it's not a scrolling list is somewhat puzzling and troublesome, but there you have it.
3. Again as with Virote, not a clue, but I don't see any reason why that would be the case. I believe the engine works so that the spy/diplomat mission constraints are the same no matter which is allowed to carry it out.

Best,

Oz

Playtesting update for those that are not following the other thread:

The major problems that I noted in post 167 are now solved. One of the side effects of fixing the resource overflow bug is that I now have loads of space to put in bonus resources. Any particular suggestions / requests for particular areas?

Thanks to those that helped out with the espionage questions, though my absent mindedness means that I failed to implement it in the second playtesting biq. :mad: :sad:

Next major task is to balance the available temples and other buildings and add in a range of barbarian buildings.

A couple of Bonus Resources:

-Salt (quite important in Africa and India, possibly elsewhere, too)
-Murex(SP?) shells in the water around Phoenicia

A couple of Bonus Resources:

-Salt (quite important in Africa and India, possibly elsewhere, too)
-Murex(SP?) shells in the water around Phoenicia

I've put these into the scenario, the Murex one is interesting. It gets a mention in one of the books I'm reading at the moment in fact. I've made an icon for that one that has come out quite well. Thanks. I'm still on the lookout for more bonus resource ideas if anyone has any.

Top Bottom