Star Wars Mod

good ideas, guys - goo dideas :)

Unnamed_Sniper, I personally hope to start approximately 25,000 years before Battle of Yavin or earlier :p possibly 27,000. I hope to make it like Civ4 in the beginning, where you'd research and develop in the big with all the basics and then slowly moving onto more Star Wars stuffs after some time of developing. Hyperspace would be one of them, and followed by the discovery of The Force and all this would make a good flow from Civ4 to Star Wars :D

What about short-range fighters being "ground" units that cant capture cities/planets, longer range fighters and ships being "sea" units that can attack and transport, bombers are "air" units that act just like air units do, and command/support ships are "sea" units that just defend and transport, bombard too for support ships?

[takes deep breath]
...thats probably a run on sentence:)

So like at future/modern times and then spread out over the galaxy? If this should be historically accurate , then wouldn't most human civs start on Earth? or would we have already expanded past that and be on close planets in one relative solar system or area by means of our modern day rockets? The other races could be spread out, and I recall something form KOTOR about advanced hyperspace and galactic relations being established by the Rakatan. I guess that wouldn't fit well in a mod, so researching hyperspace sounds good. I don't really know when 27,000 years earlier would be, so would lasers and sub hyperspace lightspeed travel to close planets be developed?

Developing from the stone age to space invasion is not the point of star wars. It should start from the episode 1 and then continue to number 6 and then the alien thing. After that Future Tech. Units get better and better and you won´t get strength 40 gunship in the first era. :p

what about KOTOR and earlier eras? The Old Republic and Rakatan? I dont know much about the EU after ep. 6, but that is important too. those were very influential times. Stone age might be a little early:D , but I was thinking maybe start at just as space is being explored/expanded, or right after. that would also save a little time in development because a map WITH units, cities, buildings, and empires etc. wouldnt be needed, just a galaxy map with start points and such.

remember that if we start in the stone age and then further develops from there it will mean that we could also implement all those technologies and all which is mentioned as some suggestions to the Tech Trees. I.e. some 'basic' stuffs would be required to develop, and it would give a good 'boost' to spread out before the player actually enters the Star Wars itself. Kinda so he/she cal build up as wanted in the beginning.

i think its best to start around the time people were able to use planes.
well the planes that really fly a long time not those wo fly 50 meter and land.
that would be very basic it think and from that point you could start developing the rest. so first you only have like flight in the atmosprher, than you could learn after a while to fly to youre own moon(conolise it?) and later find out youre not the only one in the big galaxy:wow:
and than you could start to move to episode 1 to 6 and after that.

Actually, didn't KotOR take place around a 3-5k years BBY? (Before Battle of Yavin)

So we'd also have to look at the technologies and events and what was around there more or less 5,000 years before Episode 1 to 6.

I just know Adambot suggested as basic things such as 'biology', ecology and whatever there was suggested. But those are even old news in OUR today's world :o Why would they be new in the Star Wars Universe 25,000 years or howmuch ever it is, after the discovery of the HyperDrive?

That's why I'm suggesting that we start on a basic plan, so we can make it develop slowly and get all those basic stuffs before turning into the SW Universe.

But as you said too, we also don't know how far out we should start. Should there be planes and such like if it had been 100 years back or just 50 years back from our time?

we gotta find the merits and flaws :p

I say it should start just after our time now. think how much time there is between now and even the begginings of early space relations and trade. of course there should be planes. I think that one of the earliest techs should be hyperdrive. It could req antimatter engines or something, but the galaxy should just be starting to begin researching expansion to other planets whe it starts. Otherwise it adds too much un-Star Wars-ish stuff to the begginning. If we started a space project now to explore our galaxy, it would take FOREVER to see even the earliest colonies form and even just to discover sub-hyperdrive engines for interplanetary travel.

KOTOR takes place just under 4,000 Years BBY.

I am curious, is this mod still being worked on? I apologize if this is a question that has been asked enough times to annoy a person, but upon reading various threads I had seen a post by someone other than Civmansam saying that Civmansam has quit working on this mod all together. If this is true, could someone let me know; preferably Civmansam. It's just that I really liked this idea and it got me wanting to play Civ 4 again, so I'm hoping what I read was a rumor and nothing more. But if what I read was true then I just wanted to say that it was a great effort and a great idea that had a lot of potential and that I would be disheartened if this mod has been vacated.

I don't think it's too inconcevible to start out during the modern times, if you pull waaaaaay back you can read up on how humans boarded sleeper ships to colinize certain places before hyperdrive. In fact you could start out the game with a colony planet. This would solve several problems, such as starting from scratch even though socitys are highly advance, not to mention in the Star Wars no one knows where humans come from.

Speaking of which some socitys are going to change alot in flavor with such a long timeline. Like the Mandolorians, or even more drasticly the various Sith Empires over the milenia. Whats the idea about that?

I wish someone would pick this up and make a warlords version.

I am curious, is this mod still being worked on? I apologize if this is a question that has been asked enough times to annoy a person, but upon reading various threads I had seen a post by someone other than Civmansam saying that Civmansam has quit working on this mod all together. If this is true, could someone let me know; preferably Civmansam. It's just that I really liked this idea and it got me wanting to play Civ 4 again, so I'm hoping what I read was a rumor and nothing more. But if what I read was true then I just wanted to say that it was a great effort and a great idea that had a lot of potential and that I would be disheartened if this mod has been vacated.

There was (and probably still is :shifty:) a thread about the Star Wars Mod leader job changing. The thread has been quiet for over a month or so... I´m a bit confused about this situation, as no one declared a new leader and the whole developing is totally freezed without a mod leader. I hope the former star wars team chooses a new leader ASAP.

Most, if not all, of the SW team has either left modding or joined up with other teams.

This mods best bet is now to wait for BtS and see if that can help regenerate interest. Ideas, artwork, ect can be ported to the expansion since there hasn't been much python/SDK work done, if any.

Personally I feel that the mod should simply be scrapped and started from scratch with BtS.

Personally I feel that the mod should simply be scrapped and started from scratch with BtS.

I disagree. Star Wars can and should be modded to vanilla before to expansions (FFH is totally vanilla based, but one of the best mods out there, for example). We just need to activate artists who are interested in working with Star Wars.

Personally I think the creator of this thought too grandiose by adding too many civs to start off with, when what should have been done was you have just a few civs with more focus on the units. I could go on and on about this but case in point is that I do agree that the project should be started from scratch but not necessarily for BOTS. I am not familiar with the creation of a mod so I do not know how long it takes to make a good one, but if it seems there is still a wanting for plain Civ 4 mods then that is what it should be made for.

Most, if not all, of the SW team has either left modding or joined up with other teams.

This mods best bet is now to wait for BtS and see if that can help regenerate interest. Ideas, artwork, ect can be ported to the expansion since there hasn't been much python/SDK work done, if any.

Good idea :thumbsup: especially with that cool space scenario which will come with new units that could be used.

okay the current situation:

adambot is the leader at this point.
we are doing our best to get a team done so we can go to work.
as it seems at this point we will start from scratch.
you can find out lots of info about the leader change and everything that is going on in our devolpment forum. please put all your questions over there and look if your answer is there to.
civmansam left this a long time ago and doesnt seem to return.(i gave up hope 6 months ago i think)

the link to the devolpment forum: http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=218

i hope to see you all there

WGW

Top Bottom