Democracy in Canada shut down

I think it is time you guys rethink this whole "democracy" thing. For instance, it probably isn't such a great idea for the leader of the country to be able to suspend the legislature and appoint senators.

I think it is time you guys rethink this whole "democracy" thing. For instance, it probably isn't such a great idea for the leader of the country to be able to suspend the legislature and appoint senators.

yeah, a Constitutional Monarchy should definitely rethink the whole democracy part :p

Freedom of speech is under attack in Canada since this quasi-Fascist court has been allowed to basically do whatever it wants.

who told you about our human rights tribunals?
They're crazy lol. They send out insane sentences lol.

But in school I went through Civic's class.
They said that Senators are useless. Their function is a "gentleman's order". Where if the lower legislature enacts something, the "gentlemen" the senators can overturn it in the same manner that the Queen can overturn something because they are trusted to have a better understanding of the world then lower politicans.

So if this is all about the Harper electing partisan senators, well the senators have never used their veto ever.
So wake me up if Harper's partisan senators begin vetoing.

Tekee said:
So if this is all about the Harper electing partisan senators, well the senators have never used their veto ever.
So wake me up if Harper's partisan senators begin vetoing.
Umm, excuse me? The whole point of saturating the Senate with your own lackeys is so they won't veto your bills.

It's very dodgy, he's milking the rules to the extreme in order to neutralise the (duly elected) opposition and avoid being held accountable for his actions.

There's certainly zero argument that this move benefits the country or the public in anyway, and reinforces that he is hiding something very devious... very ironic for a PM who campaigned on "clear and open government"

:lol: When will people learn that politicians are liars.

The Senators have NEVER in their history vetoed anything.

My law teacher said the senate did veto things, but its very rare. Or something like that. I'd have to look it up

EDIT: Clicky.
Although the Senate rarely vetoes bills from the House, their minor changes are usually accepted by it.

Rarely /= Never

yeah, a Constitutional Monarchy should definitely rethink the whole democracy part :p
It is difficult to imagine that so much power is wielded by one individual. :p

It's very dodgy, he's milking the rules to the extreme in order to neutralise the (duly elected) opposition and avoid being held accountable for his actions.

There's certainly zero argument that this move benefits the country or the public in anyway, and reinforces that he is hiding something very devious... very ironic for a PM who campaigned on "clear and open government"

Is this a power typically inherent in a parlimentary system, or does your constitution actually spell this out? I know our President can force Congress to convene, but not to adjourn.

The yanks will never understand....

However there is no political analyst that could agree with this decision. This is a terrible move by the government. don't think his arse is out of the candle flicker quite yet. The evidence is mounting against Stephen. If the opposition can get its act together, then i think all of these technical injustices will come back to haunt.

Regardless, Harper just continues to sabotage any hope he had at a majority. Maneuvers like this do not go unpunished.

Is this a power typically inherent in a parlimentary system, or does your constitution actually spell this out? I know our President can force Congress to convene, but not to adjourn.

There is no constitution is a form an American would recognize. There are no set, written stipulations that concern what government can and cannot do.

The precedent was set last November during the Coalition crisis that the PM can ask for a proroguement when the government was in a position to fall, the major difference was that the polls showed support of around 25% for the coalition against about 65% that the coalition parties individually had to their ballots.

In this instance it is Harper's government that is once again vulnerable, but there is no crisis of support for the opposition parties. Harper is abusing the GG's weakness. There is no way she should prorogue parliament. Her doing so will go down as the worst action in the history of her position. From now on anytime a government faces scrutiny they can just prorogue and rely on the precedent.

I am a supporter of the status quo. I support an unelected senate and GG, but this is making my position much less tenable. We'll see in the new year. There will be an election in the Spring barring a major opposition screw up.

...who on earth would support an unelected legislature? :confused: That is, once again, evidence that we must invade.

Yet more evidence of how much Canadian politics has sucked in the last few years.

Good idea to have a Senate like Canadians do. It is usually a Conservative force.

GG needs to grow a backbone. If you can eat a raw seal heart (awesome) you can actually work in the interests of this country.

I hope his government goes down in flames. I hope it'll be like the early 90s with a 80+% liberal majority. But its not going to happen cause every Conservative in Canada sees this as a good thing and doesn't give a crap about what we did to Afghan detainees.

Someone also needs to smack the GG tell her to do her damn job and not be his puppet.

lol. I think that this is the trigger point for the United States to invade Canada! We Americans will get rid of every Bush dopligangger world wide!!!

Top Bottom