Ask a Soldier

Well, I need to know beforehand.
If there's a risk to the vehicle, you don't leave it unguarded in the first place.
At checkpoints, we sometimes look in the engineroom and trunk, as well as under the car with mirrors on a stick, but that's checking someone elses vehicle, not you're own.

If you hear a loud boom when you turn the key....there was a bomb in your car.
Reminds me of Achmed the dead terrorist. "What was the last thing that went through your mind?" - "My ass"

If there's a risk to the vehicle, you don't leave it unguarded in the first place.
At checkpoints, we sometimes look in the engineroom and trunk, as well as under the car with mirrors on a stick, but that's checking someone elses vehicle, not you're own.

And sometimes it's as obvious as strange packages near the car.

Also, a bomb of any real size is going to be heavy. If the car is riding low, that could be a sign.

A bomb that would kill the occupants of an unarmored car would weigh a trivial amount compared to the car.

A bomb that would kill the occupants of an unarmored car would weigh a trivial amount compared to the car.

But that wasnt specified by perf now was it? It could be a bomb meant just to kill the driver/passengers, or it could be a bomb to take out a city block.

Also, in order for it to be small but still kill the occupants, it would need to be placed in a spot it could achieve that. That means you might also see damage to the car as if someone has broken into it (scratches on door, hood or trunk), or something hanging down from the undercarriage, lower than normal.

I was under the impression the drivers wheel arch was the traditional spot for smaller bombs.

Use a pound of C4 people, with a electric detonator hooked into the brake light circuit.
Just tape under the drivers side, and they will get a real surprise the first time they touch the brakes.

A piece of fishing line to the drive shaft.

Wont work. A grenade pin is much harder to remove than you think, and I dont think a piece of fishing line, even heavy fishing line, would do the job. Anyone who thinks the movies are right on when some guy pulls the pin with his teeth is just engaging in fantasy....try that in real life and you'll pull a tooth.

And its not just pulling the pin either. The spoon has to be released as well.

Keep trying, I am sure you'll figure a way out eventually. :p

You do realize that they make fishing line that cannot be broken by human strength? Do they make grenade pins that cannot be pulled by human strength?

Of course you can always just bend the grenade's prongs so that the pin will slip out without any effort.

Several questions for the OP:

1. Did you enlist or were you called up for national service?

2. Does each regiment conduct its own recruit training or is there an army post where initial training is centralized?

3. What was your pay on enlistment?

4. What are the duties of an RSM?

5. Do jump qualified personnel receive extra pay for it?

6. Are most members of the SAS recruited from the Parachute Regiment?

7. What percentage of Army officers came up through the ranks? Is their any social divide between Sandhurst graduates and former enlisted officers?

Top Bottom