Just got my CIV V Strategy Guide!

I thought i recall Greg or someone else at 2k saying the Guide doesnt come out til the 21st with the game?

"Hey guys, I just checked in to this and the street date for the strategy guide is the 21st of September. I don't know why so many retailers have the wrong date listed, but I wouldn't expect to actually get it until then at the earliest."

From: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=377065&page=2

ok thank you mate.... not your fault but the UB of persia is soooooooo bad lol.

I can't begin to imagine how +2 happy at a stage when banks are made is supposed to compete with things like the paper maker which gives +50% science from population and +4 coins or the longhouse +1 hammer per forest or even the the floating garden +15% food +2food from lakes (biased start gonna guarantee a starting lake?)

This was awesome. Thanks so much. I'll definitely be checking in tomorrow.

As for the Janissary UU, i'm assuming the +25% bonus when attacking is something inherent to all Musketmen or is it an added bonus to Janissaries? Any thoughts anyone?

homan, a bank that gives extra happiness (the building has no maintenance either) is nothing to sniff at. It will be as useful as egypts burial tombs, all be it a bit later.

I'm fairly sure he said unique to Janissaries, and yeah it is pretty cool, it makes them get to instantly heal more :p.

I think the -1 culture from the tomb is far less worrisome than the bonus for plundering the city. A UB ability that benefits the enemy and not you? Yay? >.>

+2 happy per city that early in the game has the potential to be big, so I don't mind if it it comes with a downside than makes an already bad thing only slightly worse.

Plus, I don't plan on having my cities plundered anyhow. ;)

I'm confused why everyone just ignored my post reminding you what Greg said about the guides release date. -.- Until a pic of him/her holding the guide is posted I don't see why all of you would buy into what he/she is saying.

keep an eye out on this one, may be an omision of replacement of library in the guide but the guide doesnt state that it is a library replacement were it does for other UBs

From http://well-of-souls.com/civ/civ5_cities.html we have that the science advisor says:

"If we research Writing, we'll be able to construct the Paper Maker, the Library, and the National College in our cities. That's a lot of research buildings!"

Leads me to believe that you get both, which if true makes the Paper Maker a lot more useful.

BradyGames lists the guide as being available after Sept. 10, Numi. Follow the link he provided and see for yourself!

I'm confused why everyone just ignored my post reminding you what Greg said about the guides release date. -.- Until a pic of him/her holding the guide is posted I don't see why all of you would buy into what he/she is saying.

Well, for one thing if he's making crap up he's doing a good job making it sound realistic. For another he posted the link to the product that says it ships in 24 hours.

Thanks ltarmstron3!

Just throwin' this out there to everyone: What's a Satrap have to do with banking?

What I'm saying is, look at MY link up the page a little, the guide has been known about being listed for the 10th since august...and Greg HIMSELF said it was all wrong information on their part so don't quote me something that I already sent a link to of someone who WORKS there disproving.

ok thank you mate.... not your fault but the UB of persia is soooooooo bad lol.

I can't begin to imagine how +2 happy at a stage when banks are made is supposed to compete with things like the paper maker which gives +50% science from population and +4 coins or the longhouse +1 hammer per forest or even the the floating garden +15% food +2food from lakes (biased start gonna guarantee a starting lake?)

Combine it with a UA that gives 50% longer golden ages and I want all the excess happiness that I can get my hands on.

Other player's city-state influence pointsdecrease 33% faster
I'm confused by the United Front policy. What happens if an AI picks up the policy - does your CS influence start degrading? If a second one adopts it, do you lose even more?
I guess we won't know till the game ships, but it seems like a strange one to me

"Hey guys, I just checked in to this and the street date for the strategy guide is the 21st of September. I don't know why so many retailers have the wrong date listed, but I wouldn't expect to actually get it until then at the earliest."

(Emphasis mine)
Depends on one's definition of street date. Could mean brick&mortar, not internet order. He got it via a GameStop (website?) express delivery order, but today my local GameStop said not until next week.

IROQUOIS
UU-Mohawk Warrior-replaces Swordsman-combat bonus in forest/jungle (50)
UB-Longhouse-replaces nothing-+1 production for each worked forest tile, additional engineer speciallist
Benifit-The Great Warpath-units in freindly territory move though forest and jungle s if the teeain had roads, these tiles count toward establishing trade routes

Overall, I'd say that this is a pretty major let down for me. I was really looking forward to a marauding style of play, and it seemed that the Iroquois were going to be the perfect Civ to do that.

I admit that they'll be quite economically sound, but the Mohawk Warrior is kind of a sad little unit that does a sad little thing next to any other Civ's units. It was clearly supposed to build upon the free movement in forests that the entire civ used to have before it was changed, but now it's just a Swordsmen that does well in trees.

*Sigh*

Looks like it's the Aztecs for me.

I admit that they'll be quite economically sound, but the Mohawk Warrior is kind of a sad little unit that does a sad little thing next to any other Civ's units. It was clearly supposed to build upon the free movement in forests that the entire civ used to have before it was changed, but now it's just a Swordsmen that does well in trees.

You do realize that a 50% bonus in trees (where it wants to be for the movement/defensive bonuses) makes it nearly as strong as a Longswordsman, 2000 years earlier? If your enemy wants to stop your Mohawks, he'll have to meet you in forests, where you'll rush through towards his cities - and where you'll soundly beat him.

Civ5 combat is going to be about smart maneuvering. God help the civ going up against a capable Iroquois warmonger.

Top Bottom