Just got my CIV V Strategy Guide!

It's a maintenance-free (actually, negative maintenance) library; I don't see how this is bad at all. If you build a Paper Maker as soon as you research Writing, it'll generate thousands of gold over the course of the game. You can do far worse than this.

Yes, I don't think it's bad. In particular, 3 gold + trade route bonus probably covers the cost of maintaining a road to a new city, so a Paper Maker in every city will probably pay for linking up your civ.

However, I see it mainly as something that's a bit nice and doesn't really affect overall strategy, hence useful, but not very interesting.

Geometrically or arithmetically?

Ie, does it go: 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 ect...
or 30, 40, 53, 67, 89, ect...

I seem to recall having heard that it's constant*(number of policies you already have) per new policy with a percentage modification for number of cities, so it sounds to me like its arithmetical in number of policies and geometrical in number of cities. But I don't have confirmation on that.

Is the Strategy Guide worth buying?
Obviously while we are waiting it is invaluable. But after Tuesday, is there any information in there that won't be in the game or on-line?

Thanks.
First time Poster. Long time lurker, like 5 years long.

There will probably be just as much if not more info in the game (civilipedea) and DEFINATELY more on-line in a short week or two after release. I personally like getting my hands on ALL hardcopy available for CIV titles for my CIV library. I am currently working on a project that will have every incarnation of every CIV, Colonization & Alpha Centauri release working in Windows 7 on my new Laptop. So as you can see, I am a real SICKO!!:banana:

There will probably be just as much if not more info in the game (civilipedea) and DEFINATELY more on-line in a short week or two after release. I personally like getting my hands on ALL hardcopy available for CIV titles for my CIV library. I am currently working on a project that will have every incarnation of every CIV, Colonization & Alpha Centauri release working in Windows 7 on my new Laptop. So as you can see, I am a real SICKO!!:banana:

A sicko, who has been very helpful to all his fellow sicko's here at civfanatics. :)

I just want to say a quick, thank you to everyone who bought the game guide and has answered questions!

Does the guide mention if there's still a limit to the number of national wonders each city can build?

Also, any mention on how great leader points work? If the number of points required for each subsequent great leader increases, does the increase happen per city, or empire wide?

Does the guide not mention Everest?

Can other civs vote for you for UN Sec General?

The guide doesn't mention Everest and i hope it is WRONG. I really want to see more natural wonders in CIV V especially with the obvious city building limitation through happiness mechanic and with all the city-sates it is going to be hard to land just the 7 listed in the guide within your reach!

Yes, it appears so but the mechanics of it are fuzzy as stated in the guide.

Do any of the city states have UUs, UAs or UBs??

doesn't look like it but the guide states that militaristic city-states randomly spawn and give military units to your nation and while sometimes they are low tier units they have a chance to spawn the BEST units avialable to your empire. I wonder if this includes your civ's UU?

i was hoping it would contain the unlock code so my steam preload would work.

gotta a nice and shiny civ V launch icon on my desktop that is mocking me

Can you tell us all the Promotions and what they do? I can't believe people don't care about this, but I play strategy games like I play RPG :)

Also, what's the XP requirement progression for successive Promotions?

I agree this is a VERY important element of every game I play, I will need some time to gather a response, this is probably one of the hardest things to discribe to anyone without visual aids, much more complicated than explaining any tech tree because so many promo's are unit type/era/previous promo's specific

I promise I will try to get back to this one when i have more time

The guide doesn't mention Everest and i hope it is WRONG. I really want to see more natural wonders in CIV V especially with the obvious city building limitation through happiness mechanic and with all the city-sates it is going to be hard to land just the 7 listed in the guide within your reach!

Yes, it appears so but the mechanics of it are fuzzy as stated in the guide.

7 seems like an extraordinarily small number. I was hoping for lots of variety, not the same ones every single map.

I think BradyGames possibly has their best marketing move ever with this one (getting it out right before the game). I couldn't take it anymore and just bought my own copy of the guide. If someone can consolidate the questions (instead of one constant stream of one liners) that would help those of us with the guide quite a bit.

Yeah, we shouldn't take this as gospel, the proof of the book probably had to go to printers *months* ago, whereas the final Gold version of the game was probably only a few weeks ago.

YES, i wholey agree with this. Remember even late in BTS how many patches there were. The best guide i have ever used was dj anion's BTS pdf and the latest build he made that for was 3.17 and BTS ended on 3.19

7 seems like an extraordinarily small number. I was hoping for lots of variety, not the same ones every single map.

I agree. Based on the way they were talking about the natural wonders, I was expecting 3-4 times that number. Perhaps they're planning a "natural wonders" DLC.

Someone (in this thread or another) suggested that, like Emancipation in cIV, the penalty will only apply to Civs not running that particular social policy. I've seen nothing confirmed one way or another, but this seems the most logical

I've maybe missed part of the conversation but my vote is that it works as such:

Any allied city-states will have their influence degrade with all others 33% faster.

Basically, if you have a United Front and an alliance (maybe Friendly), it makes it more difficult for that city-state to also give a bonus to other civs just from being friendly.

If it kicks in at Friendly then multiple civs with Friendly status on the same target will only be partially reduced whereas any other civ will bear the combined reduction.

This would get kinda messy which is why it probably only applies for the One allied civ.

Having it be a blanket effect would basically make late-game city-state diplomacy impotent for those not going down the Order branch.

Top Bottom