Just got my CIV V Strategy Guide!

What are the stats for the "lumber mill" city improvement. (Per previous info it is now a building?) Perhaps this is a copy that stacks with it.

I see no Lumbermill anywhere in the guide , please correct me if i am wrong. I see great engineers can build Manufactories in tiles that add production the rest of the game but remove any existing improvement

Edit: I was wrong. I was thinking before i got the guide that the lumbermill was the great engineers tile improvement, but i see the error of my ways!

If I wasn't buying the Spec Edition I would definately pick this up.

It applies.

The guide says NEVER let England get the Great Lighthouse

Hehe, I'm stuck with deciding between playing England with GLH, or Rameses with wonderspam for my first game, I love archipelago games in Civ 4 with Netherlands or Carthage, and I also love wonderspam :D.

Obviously if your playing England, Great Lighthouse is the must have wonder, otherwise some other Civ gets a navy almost comparable to yours.

I've maybe missed part of the conversation but my vote is that it works as such:

Any allied city-states will have their influence degrade with all others 33% faster.

Basically, if you have a United Front and an alliance (maybe Friendly), it makes it more difficult for that city-state to also give a bonus to other civs just from being friendly.

If it kicks in at Friendly then multiple civs with Friendly status on the same target will only be partially reduced whereas any other civ will bear the combined reduction.

This would get kinda messy which is why it probably only applies for the One allied civ.

Having it be a blanket effect would basically make late-game city-state diplomacy impotent for those not going down the Order branch.

Actually after cross referencing a few things, the Order branch appears to be more about securing yourself against outside interests. If you think about it, it pairs well with it's historical counterparts of Russia and China: Heavy production bonuses, national fervor (and therefore strong national defense), and a heavy propaganda engine.

United Front appears to focus more on robbing others of UN votes (through your own cultural dominance of friendly city states). A comparable example would be the Soviet Bloc during the cold war. They kept influence in the eastern European nations through military might to be sure, but moreso through constant cultural bombardment. A more contemporary example would be China's influence with North Korea. It degrades also, but at some level they feel united over cultural issues and therefore other nations' influence is not worth much.

Finally, only one person can win a diplomatic victory, and so I don't care if I'm on great terms with another civ... I want those votes to go to me.

Baseline happiness is 15 at Chieftan and tiers down to 9 at Diety, so each increase in difficulty looks like it drop 1 baseline happiness per increase (7 difficulty settings in all)

The game guide doesn't really list the amount of happiness in any table i have seen but in Gameplay Concepts it show a screen cap that declares +1 happiness empire wide for a natural wonder found, i will update you when i read about having one worked next to a city and those benifits

Settler: 15 (Confirmed from the guide)
Chieftan: 14
Warlord: 13
Prince: 12
King: 11
Emperor: 10
Immortal: 9 (Confirmed from Greg's Gameplay Session)
Diety: 8

Does the guide mention if there's still a limit to the number of national wonders each city can build?

Also, any mention on how great leader points work? If the number of points required for each subsequent great leader increases, does the increase happen per city, or empire wide?

No mention on National Wonder Limit

Great People points do go up each time, the increase is empire wide, but only the great person bar in the city in witch it was spawn is reset.

Actually after cross referencing a few things, the Order branch appears to be more about securing yourself against outside interests. If you think about it, it pairs well with it's historical counterparts of Russia and China: Heavy production bonuses, national fervor (and therefore strong national defense), and a heavy propaganda engine.

United Front appears to focus more on robbing others of UN votes (through your own cultural dominance of friendly city states).

Finally, only one person can win a diplomatic victory, and so I don't care if I'm on great terms with another civ... I want those votes to go to me.

I am afraid I am missing the point you are trying to get across.

Do you think it will work like Universal Sufferage mechanics in cIV or more as I described, applying only in relation to alliances; or something different?

The wording as quoted is both somewhat flexible and also may not accurately reflect the final game so while it gives us a framework reading into it too much is not going to be that convincing to me.

Most likely it's something like 15/13/11/9/9/9/9/9

Makes sense; I figured his Diety number may have mis-interpreted but since Prince is the "fair" difficultly beyond that punishing the player is reduced and instead the AI gets bonuses.

Bear with us guys! Lt. Armstrong, Reskak (?), and I are probably sitting and posting as fast as we can ;)
I see no Lumbermill anywhere in the guide , please correct me if i am wrong. I see great engineers can build Manufactories in tiles that add production the rest of the game but remove any existing improvement

Edit: I was wrong. I was thinking before i got the guide that the lumbermill was the great engineers tile improvement, but i see the error of my ways!
I was wrong. The improvement is a tile improvement (somebody else posted it). I was thinking of WATERmill.
Post about promotions
In the desc. for Armory it says (in regards to +15xp vs 3 maintenance cost): "No military can afford every treat, and upgrades are more valuable than 15 more experience for a few ancillary troops."

Also, the "+15% morale bonus" from Heroic Epic is a +15% combat bonus not hit point bonus.

I am afraid I am missing the point you are trying to get across.

Do you think it will work like Universal Sufferage mechanics in cIV or more as I described, applying only in relation to alliances; or something different?

The wording as quoted is both somewhat flexible and also may not accurately reflect the final game so while it gives us a framework reading into it too much is not going to be that convincing to me.
United front seems pretty clear: All other players lose influence with city states 33% faster. Influence obviously has thresholds for friendship/alliance, but even if I'm allied with Monaco, Napoleon can still have influence/be friends. If multiple players have united front, then it will be cumulative, like other percentages. (66% faster if two other players have it, etc).

autocratic > 7
non autocratic > 8

Nice, so you can actually use them all, except for when it says you cant use one with another active, live the ones you named and Piety / Rationalism.

Also with England, they not only have an uber navy, but a 3 range longbowman on land in the middle ages too :eek:

No UBs though, but solid on both land + water.

Thanks for the info! :goodjob:

When you list multiple required promotions, does a unit need all of them, or one of them? Formation I, for example, looks like it requires a total of eight promotions to unlock.

Going to assume/hope the "," based lists are "OR" conjunctions and not "AND" :)

Top Bottom