Music of Civ VI

Jazz would have been perfect for Industrial era America.
That would be a bit early (they heyday of jazz was the 30s and 40s) but I'd roll with it.

After listening to the music for a while, I'm now certain the evolving music was a mistake. In my eyes anyway.

The ancient themes are kinda cute in how simple they are. It's kinda fun early in the game. But by the time I get to the renaissance era I just want it to stop. After hours of hearing the same songs repeated over and over it all just starts to blend together. I don't even know what song is supposed to go with what civ because they all sound the damn same. Especially the medieval era ones. Civ V was a lot more diverse. In every aspect actually.

The industrial era themes in Civ VI are by far the best, and there's no real point listening to any of the other versions in my opinion. That's what I was afraid of from the start, that there'd only be one version of each song actually worth its while, and it turns out to be true. Because I've been listening to the same melodies throughout the entire game, I can't even enjoy those versions anymore when they finally come along.

Anyway, enough negativity. Sogno di Volare is obviously awesome, and I really enjoy the industrial themes for America, Aztecs, Brazil, China, Greece, Kongo and Russia.
My favorite has to be India though. Really speaks to me.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. I love seeing what the origins of the songs are. I too hope they'll do interviews or a behind-the-scenes sort of thing for these leader themes.

Last edited:
I know Christopher Tin is a badass composer and all, and maybe he doesn't know diddly squat about pop music, but wouldn't you expect the atomic era song for England to at least sound like British Invasion rock 'n roll? Couldn't the atomic era song for Japan sounded at least a bit like J-pop? Atomic era Norway just screams for death metal.
Just to note, Tin only composed the intro (Sogno di Volare). The rest of the soundtrack, such as the civ tracks, was composed by Geoff Knorr and his team.

Regarding the soundrack, after 3 days of seclusion playing Civ VI:
-Sogno di Volare is masterpiece.
-The rest of the music is mediocre with some good tunes but terrible ones too (looking at you Russian folk).

One thing I was kind of dreading was the return of Modern Era Civ IV music. As much as I loved the soundtrack for that game, literally nothing but John Adams drove me nuts.

Well I loved Civ4's modern era music and it immersed me in the late-game. It also introduced me to John Adam's music and minimalism. But yeah, that's just me.

The ancient themes are kinda cute in how simple they are. It's kinda fun early in the game. But by the time I get to the renaissance era I just want it to stop. After hours of hearing the same songs repeated over and over it all just starts to blend together. I don't even know what song is supposed to go with what civ because they all sound the damn same. Especially the medieval era ones. Civ V was a lot more diverse. In every aspect actually.

I remember someone complained pre-release that it's unimmersive to hear other civ's music, that you should only hear yours :lol: My thought was "umm... they all probably sound like they were made by the same composers, western composers... How's that for your immersion? :crazyeye:

Anyway is there some other music in there besides the civ specific tunes? I was sure yesterday I heard a bunch of tunes in ancient era that wasn't America nor sounded like anything in the soundtrack and I haven't met anyone yet.

I really don't like the music in this game. It's a snorefest. Loved it in civ4 though in that game real classical masterpieces were used, But hey, it's not easy to compete with composers like Bach and Beethoven. I also don't really aporeciate sogno volare but thats not a problem. It's the ingame music that counts. If they fix the game and I ever play IT again I'll probably just turn it off.

Are you implying the Russian theme is terrible? In my opinion, it's probably among the best...

I haven't played as Russia yet Draeren - but there is a repetitive, high paced Folk - Tetris like theme that makes me completely nuts, which appeared in my second game as Japan (with Russia in the game, but not during diplomacy)

Something very similar to this:
(Kalinka).

Man I know arguing about tastes is dumb but let me be dumb and state that asking for J-Pop on the Japanese Modern Theme instead of the masterpiece we have is... dumb.

Also, yikes at calling the soundtrack "mediocre". I guess you have stellar standards, would love to know what games do you think they have a "decent", "good" or "excellent" soundtrack.

Regarding the soundrack, after 3 days of seclusion playing Civ VI:
-Sogno di Volare is masterpiece.
-The rest of the music is mediocre with some good tunes but terrible ones too (looking at you Russian folk).

I thought the Russian tunes are among the best. If you don't like the music, turn it off. I think it is generally great.

Man I know arguing about tastes is dumb but let me be dumb and state that asking for J-Pop on the Japanese Modern Theme instead of the masterpiece we have is... dumb.

Also, yikes at calling the soundtrack "mediocre". I guess you have stellar standards, would love to know what games do you think they have a "decent", "good" or "excellent" soundtrack.

Yeah, I am really annoyed by people here throwing such negative opinions about soundtrack that is getting a lot of accolades. Sure, I can get you do not like a particular piece - de gustibus non disputandum - but it's just nasty.

Incidentally, Seikilos Epitath that Greece gets, especially the information/atomic era version is imho one of the best. I loved sailing to the cultural victory on this.

Incidentally, Seikilos Epitath that Greece gets, especially the information/atomic era version is imho one of the best. I loved sailing to the cultural victory on this.

Yeah, I loved Alexander's Theme in Civ V, but the Civ VI versions are stellar as well.

I've not heard the Russian theme yet, but in my last game I met Brazil, who have a very nice theme.

Also, Kongo's theme is absurdly catchy. That tune has been around my head ever since I started next to Mvemba in my first game :p

There's no accounting for taste. However, they should enable easy customisation of your own soundtrack. With Wwise it's pretty a hassle, unfortunately.

Same here! Finally won my first game last night and it was stunning to listen to this :)

Does anyone know what the deal is with the ambient music? I just started a new game as France and I'm sure that I'm getting a whole bunch of beautiful ambient music that I didn't get as Greece - there's one song in particular that sounds like the medieval French song 'Ce fut en mai' so I'm sure it's not a coincidence. Does each Civ actually have its own ambient soundtrack as well as the default theme? If so that is awesome!

Well I loved Civ4's modern era music and it immersed me in the late-game. It also introduced me to John Adam's music and minimalism. But yeah, that's just me.

Oh yeah man.

This would always play during the most frantic moments of invasions and dramatic nuclear wars.

Top Bottom