Music of Civ VI

Ben.

Chieftain
Just wondering about the music of Civ 6.

Part of what I find so enjoyable when playing Civ 5 is the classical music.

So can I assume that Civ 6 will include similar music?

Pieces such as Adagio in G minor (Albinoni) would be amazing as war themes. These more melancholy peices reflect the state of war without inferring aspects such as honor or glory, instead showing the nature of war as the horrific destruction of human life and the damnation of mankind. Field of poppies is the best example of this in Civ 5, however there were not many other themes like it in the game.

Also will there be some music included from well known composers such as Chopin, Mozart, Beethoven etc.

Thanks

too bad we probably won't really get a sneak peek at the music before release

I have to admit, I refused to play as European civs in Civ5 because the music selection was so horrible, but they did a great job with Middle Eastern, Asian, and American civs. I believe it's been confirmed that Geoff Knor, Michael Curran, etc. are composing the soundtrack as in Civ5 and Civ:BE (bad game, great soundtrack), so we're in good hands at any rate.

Geoff Knorr and some other musicians will be involved, but Michael Curran has found a new job elsewhere and isn't joining for Civ VI's music.

Geoff Knorr and some other musicians will be involved, but Michael Curran has found a new job elsewhere and isn't joining for Civ VI's music.

Fine by me: with no disrespect intended toward Michael Curran, I generally liked Geoff Knorr's work better, at least for Civ (some of Michael Curran's BE and GalCiv tracks were very appealing in a different way than Civ's score).

I too really disliked the European soundtrack in Civ V (so syrupy and 19th-century-sounding, ugh). The Middle Eastern selection, on the other hand, was brilliant. And many of the civ-specific themes were out-of-this-world amazing.

As they're doing in-house music, I'm optimistic, but one thing I really enjoyed about Civ V was the little musical references in the musical themes for various Civs: the English, French and German themes stand out in particular (the dark and spooky version of 'Ode to Joy' used for the German war theme was really cool), so I'd love to see something similar in Civ 6.

I too really disliked the European soundtrack in Civ V (so syrupy and 19th-century-sounding, ugh). The Middle Eastern selection, on the other hand, was brilliant. And many of the civ-specific themes were out-of-this-world amazing.

As they're doing in-house music, I'm optimistic, but one thing I really enjoyed about Civ V was the little musical references in the musical themes for various Civs: the English, French and German themes stand out in particular (the dark and spooky version of 'Ode to Joy' used for the German war theme was really cool), so I'd love to see something similar in Civ 6.

Agreed. I think it was Dido who had the "Hymn to Nikkal" in her leader theme? That was really cool. I hope to see those motifs continue in Civ6.

I have to admit, I refused to play as European civs in Civ5 because the music selection was so horrible, but they did a great job with Middle Eastern, Asian, and American civs. I believe it's been confirmed that Geoff Knor, Michael Curran, etc. are composing the soundtrack as in Civ5 and Civ:BE (bad game, great soundtrack), so we're in good hands at any rate.

Yeah, European stuff was so noisy and dynamic in Civ V. Kind of terrible. Some parts are good, but at some points it got too disturbing. It should be more calm and climatic, esp. during peace, not disturbing. But I liked classical music in Civ IV. Civ V has amazing South America, African, even Asian themes...

Where did you get this from? I haven't heard of it.

I am one those people who doesn't play with in game music, I usually turn on my music, a stream or a podcast. I used to play with music but it got repetitive, dry and sometimes annoying, if Firaxis are trying to make it more dynamic and vibrant I can only applaud them.

Where did you get this from? I haven't heard of it.
Geoff Knorr has a Twitter account. :)

I hope they continue the national-song motifs from Civ V. Might be nice to see some reworkings of familiar melodies. I would like to hear the Epitaph to Sekilos(?) for Greece again, for example.

Geoff Knorr has a Twitter account. :)

I hope they continue the national-song motifs from Civ V. Might be nice to see some reworkings of familiar melodies. I would like to hear the Epitaph to Sekilos(?) for Greece again, for example.

Is this what he posted on Twitter? As far as I heard Michael Curran is a guy to produce new music for Civ VI. Also, there won't be national themes from Civ V, so;

BTW, I would like some re-workings from Civ 1. In fact, it's a good occasion.

I've just checked. His Twitter account is not updated for a year or so. :/

You should not spread false gossip :p

For me, those european classics were fabulous. To each their own, I guess.

Overall, I love the Civ5 music. CivBE was good for the setting, but didn't impact me as much. I tried to listen music from ealier Civs on youtube, but couldn't stand more the a few minutes from ones I tried - dont get me wrong, they seemed decent for their time, but sounded a lot like .midi tunes and my ear couldn't take it.

It was very satisfying, in my 1st Civ game, to be playing Greece and hearing all that european music, then meeting China and hear that Wu Zetian tune, so much impact.

I'll admit I have a soft spot for Civ 5's European stash of tunes, giving that it contains Aase's Death which, being composed by Grieg, tickles my patriot bone. The Middle Eastern/African, Asian and Native soundtracks were amazing as well.

I hope that they'll keep civ themes being based on already existing compositions, however. And with the music increasing in complexity, I assume it'll be similar to that of Civ IV, where the music, if I remember right, simply starts out with clapping, moving on to more instruments as the game goes on.

Is this what he posted on Twitter? As far as I heard Michael Curran is a guy to produce new music for Civ VI. Also, there won't be national themes from Civ V, so;

BTW, I would like some re-workings from Civ 1. In fact, it's a good occasion.

I've just checked. His Twitter account is not updated for a year or so. :/

You should not spread false gossip :p

Not false gossip. =P

Check Geoff Knorr's Tweets and Replies (there's a line of conversations where he briefly discusses that he and a group of others are doing Civ VI music, and that more info is to come later). Curran is not in since he's with Stardock.

I'll admit I have a soft spot for Civ 5's European stash of tunes, giving that it contains Aase's Death which, being composed by Grieg, tickles my patriot bone. The Middle Eastern/African, Asian and Native soundtracks were amazing as well.

I hope that they'll keep civ themes being based on already existing compositions, however. And with the music increasing in complexity, I assume it'll be similar to that of Civ IV, where the music, if I remember right, simply starts out with clapping, moving on to more instruments as the game goes on.

Which is fine as long as it doesn't turn into that abominable "easy listening" that Civ4 had in the modern age. :p

I just hope they don't bug it out like they did with Civ 5 where it changed everytime a leader popped up only to be partially fixed where during war time the music would change everytime a leader popped and asked you to do something.

Top Bottom