RAND Bugs, irks, and some praise to finish off

AND BUGS:​

Ok last disjointed report, I'm going to consolidate all these together and categorise them to make it flow a bit easier.

Bugs and irks I've noticed during playing of Beta 5.

Apologies for any corrected in the SVN's I can't seem to get that to work properly currently.

Solutions are only proposed idea's, all of course subject to Mod Author.

MAJOR BUGS:​
  • Max Units per tile: I love this feature,
    Improves the strategy required to take cities, defend cities and move armies about on map. Applies to Military units only.

Max 6 units per tile (Current choice). Makes defence of your cities harder. Attacking the AI's, you have to use strategy and surround and destroy them.

I've been able to exceed the 6 units per tile limit, that can be imposed in the Bug options screen

Spoiler :

Initially I was able to produce troops and have the 7th expelled out of the city, when all where of same era, but with a mixture of era's, I seem to be able to exceed the limit. The limit applies to unit types of similar era's, I.E. siege, archery, melee and mounted. Also correctly applies to naval units of same type, but able to stack different types of 6 each on same tile.

With Max units per tiles option selected, if tiles has < Max units per tile and 2nd group tries to pass through, it will 'capture' the units it needs to bring up to max numbers, and not let them pass, unless you manually move them on.

• Solution- Allow a pass option & limit should apply for all era's, for military units as it does now.

• Inquisitions don't work still, I've played the latest version 176 Beta 5. I've ran both a game from 6000 BC and advanced start, world built in Inquisitors, but still says need civics (running Intolerant) and active state religion (which I do have)

I had on Inquisition's and didn't have limited religions (was testing out the inquisition options) no religions were assigned, I had to world build in 3, no inquisitions either (Inquisitors, I world built them in as well).

• Solution &#8211; Update or install mod correctly into AND.

• Advanced starts; religions aren't assigned at all.

• Solution &#8211; this just maybe a quirk of the game itself

• Minor religions decay doesn't seem to work. The minor religions, 2 of them, 1 with a holy city, one with a holy city destroyed, both didn't lose any cities as converts, but no further gains were made either, these cities had my state religion in them, though not in all cities.

Note: I had on No further religion spread, and I spread my state religion to these cities after I took them.

These have not dissipated, I have on 'Minor religions fade' option, and the single holy city/empire option enabled. I don't have Multiple religions enabled for minor Civs. I believe you need to have on multiple religion spread, for this to work, I didn't have it on.

• Solution- Is this the option I need?, will have to test.

• Inflation- OMFG!!!!!! this is BRO-KEN

I went from 6K Cash flow +ve, swapped civics, as I had built Christo Redentor, just to try out some others for effect. Went 1st time backwards to 500+ cash flow positive, did another swap, as I'd seen lost the -50 inflation, ok. Next civic swap, I'm -12K Cash flow, Inflations hit 375% and its only 1750 AD.

Cash rushing in Free Market, DOESN'T reduce inflation, it just increases it due to 'Cash rushing buildings modifier' that is multiplied by inflation rate
    It just adds up, at the rate of 1% per turn at Marathon. Advance far enough and I've hit +750% inflation at 1941 AD. Regulated in now the best of a group of 'bad' choices for cash rushing.

I was running a continental Civ, in a HUGE map, this DID scale my expenses and income, not a problem, but the Inflation factor is just broken. I'm only 1/2 way through, I'd accidentally triggered domination win, just concurring my home continent

• Solution- Rework inflation, I don't know what your trying to achieve here, but some of the civics, say that they reduce inflation by -50, -25 etc so to me seems to be -ve of a -ve, ends up being a +ve factor. Keep in mind I went from Cash flow +ve of +6K, to this just swapping some civics. These need some adjustment as well.

• Barter is grossly overpowered for a large empire. Example I'm top empire of 20+ cities on my continent. I'm barely cash flow +ve at zero %, I switch to barter, from coinage, to reduce inflation, and into Vassalage, as building up army for free experience, suddenly I can raise slider to 85% and be cash flow +ve still.

Really barter economy, used in a developed Civilization. Come on. The initial starting civics, should be just that, INITIAL STARTING CIVICS ONLY. Not a late game or middle game option.

IF your going to insist on Barter, being a 'real world' option for game play, (Yes I realise its only a game), then Science, commerce basically everything should be penalised. Can you imagine you salary being paid in barter, even in middle ages, from 1100-1700 AD. Coinage was used to regulate trade, etc.

For a civ Greater than 3 cities, barter should be penalised on a sliding scale or say x % per additional city, X+Y% for > 5-10 or more Y cities. as in reality, barter only works on a local small scale 1 on 1.

For a 44 City empire, on a Huge map, I can make 60-70K+ running a Barter Economy, having gone through the entire tech tree. Conversely I LOSE 225K running Free Market. (for some strange reason it drops 80K after 1st turn?, then stays steady.)

• Solution - Initial starting civics should be just that, they could form the default civic for anarchy periods yes. Inflation needs to be applied on a per city basis against expenses for that city, not against the civics run.

• Adjust Espionage generated from walls, Holy cities, high walls, Bazaar, Grocer and Markets and other building while either under State Church, Patrician civic or other civics is being read incorrectly.

I was making 100K + Espionage / turn, at 0% espionage with just walls, etc., running the same religion as target. I bribed out the Capital from underneath them, as well as 3 other cites.

Its been said, that the game engine reads a figure at 100K% if it can't read the number set for it. Great idea, needs to be refined more, giving the Billion spy points per turn for running; state religion, patrician or other civics intended to gain spy points bonus.

• Solution &#8211; Enable the game to read the multipliers correctly.

• Local courts houses aren't enabled until Labour Union, and the National wonder, Supreme court is enabled in Jurisprudence.

Now why would you wait till Labour Union and build individually local court houses, when at Jurisprudence you just need 1 district courthouse, no required number of Local court houses to build it, and then you get a "free Local Courthouse" in all cities.

There is NO ACTUAL POINT, of trying to get to Labour Union for Local Court houses, you really should have LONG SINCE built the Supreme court National wonder.

• Solution- Swap the position of the 2 first up, Supreme court out of Jurisprudence and into Labour Union. Make a requirement of "No of local court houses x map size" for District courthouse. Then build Supreme court.

• Metropolitan administration building. Civopedia says, this is required to enable the cities 3rd ring using Larger cities, and will become available at Legendary culture status.

At Legendary status, the 3rd ring is AUTOMATICALLY AVAILABLE, with out this building. The building is actually superfluous, but I built them anyway, thought another was needed after, but no....

Larger cities, and it seems I'm not the only one with this assumption, I believe it should play as the description says. If you want 3rd ring usage, you need the building, which is available at Legendary culture, pop +25, and needs the (blank) tech to enable.

• Solution- The 3rd ring requirement needs to be set to the building of this building again. Or if larger city radius is employed, the building is removed from available builds.

• Fixed borders; This is a great concept, needs some more work.

With fixed borders for self, if you take a city, burn it down, and the other Civ has fixed borders as well, the old Civs culture will remain in the outer rings still. Nearest friendly city to previous owner is 15 tiles North, yet it retains the 2nd and 3rd and possibly the 4th ring of Culture. Haven't eliminated that final city as yet, should remove that culture once I do. (I didn't notice, I may have expanded borders or it may have worked??)

If you take a city, abandon the city, your culture remains in the initial BFC, without a city.

Take a city, burn it down, but retains all the Cultural tiles, out to limit pre destruction. I have Culture, but no city anywhere near it. Doesn't revert to neutral territory.

Take a city, I immediately gain access to 1st cross of culture, even though city is still in anarchy. Feature or bug?? I think feature, gaining the 1st square always.

Forts retain a BFC of 1 in culture as well when unmanned, you just garrison the fort, claim the cultural cross, and leave again. Even when the Civ is destroyed, the forts still retain the BFC of culture.

City revolts, or given to me by rebels in city, but the city will retain the original AI's cultural control of the BFC 1st ring, until I send in a unit to occupy the city. A lot like Forts keeping the cultural BFC inner ring of the last occupant, even when left vacant.

• Solution- If fort of city isn't occupied, it loses all its cultural boundaries. For cities rebelling, they go to new Civs culture, for forts and lost cities, they revolt to neutral land or dominate culture, fixed borders or not employed.

• Bribe a city, the Garrison troops just leave the city if at peace, ok. But in war and bribe city, they just leave, I don't get any garrison troops, and they don't even try to retake that city from me. They just immediately beeline the nearest city of civilization. No Garrison is installed for the Bribing Civ either. Example of both;
    I had 1 city bribed out from underneath my feet, I just moved out garrison unit and them moved back into city to retake EXPLOIT, I was at war with the rebels as well.
    2nd example, I bribe a city out from an opponent, we're at war, garrison units just beeline the nearest city of that Civ. (and I just follow to find it). In peace, they just leave, ok this is correct, but if war results, they just beeline nearest friendly city of that Civ.

• Solution &#8211; Enable garrisoned troops for bribed cities, and eject the previous garrison out of Culture.

• Worker trades are too easily exploited. Admittedly I had an advanced start game, but I was able to trade for 4 workers just using contacts, which I traded for as well. Getting Tech's , workers and/or Plus units for this is an outright exploit. Further on this, Fast workers RETAIN their status, graphics, while under your control. If done correctly, you could end up with a vast number of fast workers not being India. I was able to gain 4 of them, 2 of them in a 2 for 1 trade deal, 2 fast workers for 1 or my normal workers, which remained a normal worker unit. Units I recruited 3 cannons.

AI's give over a lump sum of gold as well as gold per turn for needed resource. I even had one time, a TECH given to gain a resource, for only 10 turns, or none if I declare war!!!!! exploitable. Either enforce 10 turn peace treaty, really should be longer, or remove. IMHO

Others have given examples of MULTIPLE techs being given for a resource available only on 1 continent.

This is exploitable, not what it was designed for, any trading with the AI's is exploitable, not just tech brokering, but resource trades, contacts, etc. They may ask the world, but humans will 95% of the time refuse, unless is URGENT.

• Solution &#8211; Tweak the AI's readiness to trade, and remove unique bonuses for outward units traded, or add them to inwards trades.

• Stables don't give any :mad: under Pacifism. Barracks and Garrisons do, but a Stable and/or Knights Stable don't. Further on Advanced start, you can build both still, barracks is replaced by garrison, stable isn't replaced. Bonuses to units still accumulate.

• Solution &#8211; Stable and Knights stable add :mad: under pacifism, Stable should be obsoleted by Knights stable

• AI's under limited religions, I assume under normal religion spread as well, won't convert to own religion, but one that'll spread to their capital 1st. They seem to judge on impact on population % and not own advantages. Don't seem to value own religion high enough, either founded or captured.

• Solution &#8211; Tweak the self religion factor for AI's.

• Mine with Road was equal in hammers to a Mine on the same terrain with a paved road, which is supposed to give +1 hammers.

Mine with road in Civopedia, says will get +1 :hammers: ok it does, but paved roads are supposed to add another :hammers:, it doesn't. I had two mines same terrain, one with paved road, one without, both had the same hammers out put. 2 example of this as well, 2 x grassland hills and 2 x plains hills.

Post explosives, both the shaft mine and mine give the same hammer count, only commerce is added to Shaft mine. Normal mine will upgrade to shaft mine in X turns depending on speed selected. To gain a shaft mine, but no extra hammers, the mine has to be destroyed and a shaft mine built. Able to build either example as a mine, with same hammers output, but normal mine will upgrade in Number of turns.

• Solution &#8211; enable the +1:hammers: for this

• Improvement upgrades, well the Mine - Shaft mine and Work shop - Factory upgrades with the tech. You can just destroy the old one, I.E. build something else, then IMMEDIATELY build the upgraded version, as circumnavigate the 120 turns to improve waiting time. Note this isn't available with Shaft mines - Modern mines or Factories - industrial plants. They all immediately change to the more modern unit.

• Solution &#8211; allow all to be upgraded as tech comes in, or all have to await the number of turns. Can't destroy and rebuild again either.

• Once have the mining Tech, can't pre-chop on mines any more, have to construct them only, no previous pre-chopping allowed to be continued.

• Solution &#8211; Allow continued chopping on hills, when don't have bronze working, but have mining.

• I was able to spread irrigation onto 2 tundra tiles, non river, without Canal systems, and no city or farm by river tile. i.e. River tile with tundra, tundra (I farmed this tile),city, tundra tile (I farmed again.) I could farm both at once, same time, either side of city, which wasn't bordering a river, or having canal systems. Its been said, that Ice may count as a water source? Feature or bug??

• Solution &#8211; Remove or document as melt water.

• Able to build scouts as Mayan, without hunting tech, wasn't able to select it either as a researchable tech.

• Solution &#8211; Bug in game or quirk from play?

• Ranged bombardment isn't working from ships, specifically Modern Destroyers, others I haven't tried out. Assume its consistent feature. Bombard and Ranged Bombard both use the same hot key,

• Solution Alt-B or Shift B and Enable ranged bombardment for these units, or remove that option.

• Your able to build a Police station, the building that follows the Jail, WITHOUT the jail. Both are separate and independent of each other, not sure if this is game feature or quirk, personally I believe one needs the other.

• Solution &#8211; Personally I'd like a dependence of jails needed to construct police stations.

• Couldn't build sea Tunnels with a Modern work boat, I had Civil Engineering, access to steel (44) and ability to build a road to a point, but was never activated. I may not have done correct, but doesn't seem to intuitive if something else required that's not mentioned.

• Solution- Either enable if not, or document, or simplify

• Notified of Harry potter event, but no selection of events, appeared again 20 turns later. Many other events the same thing will happen.

• Solution &#8211; Enable the choices for the given events, list is;

Harry Potter,
    Geo-thermal event
    Wedding angst.
    Many others that can't remember or list.

• Forest and Jungle is able to re-grow over improvements. Yet the improvement will retain previous values of production, and chopping bonus is still able to be harvested. Seen examples of both Forest and Jungle doing this.

• Solution &#8211; Disable the ability of forest and jungle to grow on improvements.

• AI won't accept gifted units in era above self. I.E. I have rifles, they have muskets, won't accept gift of rifles. Now is this a quirk, or feature of game??

• solution- well, just enable them I guess, or document reason you can't.

• Building that are Superseded by a later building, i.e. Bazaar (Applied Economics) and Jeweller (Motion picture), are still counted in the finance screen, when Grocers aren't (Supermarket obsoleted by Hypermarket)

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Plaza San Marco is not being recorded in finance screen as the Player having a market in every city, I'm only credited with 1 market, as I took this World Wonder Via war.

• Solution- Enable the wonder buildings in the count for finance screen

• Multiple units selected to attack, once one's attacked, the remaining units immediately go to sleep, unless re-activated, and you deselect the non attacking option units, used unit isn't automatically deleted from active group.

• Solution- Auto de-selection from group once attacks are used up, but retain for movement if any remain.

• Still able to build Academy, even though its 'building' has been obsoleted (Computers)

• Solution &#8211; Remove from available actions for Great Scientist, once computers is researched.

CIVOPEDIA ERRORS​
  • TXT_KEY_CONGLOMERATES_PEDIA not enabled in tech splash screen, for conglomerates.
  • Solution - Enable the link.

• Semi-automatic weapons is displayed x2 with rifling, in tech splash screen.

• Solution- Just remove one.

• Mountain leader and Mountaineer Techs are just blocks of Pink and not enabled in either the Civopedia or the game.

• Solution - Fix or enable (note didn't even bother to check if it worked, assumed not.)

• Mouse over for jump plane not enabled, not mentioned in Tech splash screen for Teleportation.

• Solution - Enable the mouse over for jump planes.

• Rail-road icon in tech splash screen doesn't link to Civopedia

• Solution- Enable the Key_what ever link

• Mouse over for clear fallout in Ecology splash screen, isn't enabled.

• Solution - Enable the mouse over function for this tech.

• Extraction facility listed twice under 'Super-strong alloy's.

• Solution - remove one of these,and amend mouse over.

• Compulsory education, has the mouse over text for civil engineering in Sid's tips

• Solution- Change the text to correct Sid's tip.

• Meteorology just a dot (.) in Sid's tips

• Solution- Add the text

• Paths, Roads, Paved road (no s), Highway's, Electric Rail Roads, Mag Levs and Jump Plains aren't listed in Civopedia.

• Solution &#8211; Add to Civopedia

• In tech splash for Aquaculture, sanitise is only a '.' .

• Solution - Correctly enable the description for Aquaculture.

• In Civopedia, a group of 25 or so unique units, all have no tags, listed before the number 3 in listing of units, at top. Listed as TXT_KEY_RESTRICTED_UNIT &#8211; can nuke enemy lands.

• Solution &#8211; Correctly list these Unique units and document them, then sort alphabetically.

Minor irks and annoyances​

• TXT_KEY_EVENT_SILKWORM_GOING_EXTINCT is not properly enabled with links. Only come up with This text obviously.

• Solution- enable the correct linking

• Auto Corporation founding: This actually works fine, they found themselves, they spread themselves.....BUT...

They CONSTANTLY remove competing corporations from cities, I get at least every turn one or two corporations (well Guilds at moment) buying out the opposition and installing themselves.

• Solution- IF its deemed to be an actual bug, and not a feature with a quirk. A 'Retain Guild/Corporation option' to be made available. Then if you want to retain this guild and/or Corporation due to the benefits generated, you can select retain, otherwise the default option is its replaceable, or may be bought out.

Note:
    Do I need to build the unique building for the Corporation to retain its function?.
    What would happen if bought out, or ceases operations before building is completed?.
    Would this retain the company, or can it still be bought out, cease operations? .

• No mouse over details for Adam Smiths Trading Company.

• Solution- add in the mouse over details.

• Era notification is obscuring the gold produced/ (Lost).

• Solution &#8211; Move note down one or two lines vertically

• Unit numbering is bugged in 4.3 BUG,

• Solution - upgrade to 4.4 to remove this, (known bug)

• Space out the city count and minor Civ notification brackets.

• Hover doesn't give unit strength in Civopedia, only gives the hammer cost, movement, class etc.

• Solution &#8211; Enable hover for unit strength.

• Reports Treachery done to player twice, same as have to hit twice, stop bothering us :thanx:, or resume talks. This also doesn't carry over from a saved game.

• Solution &#8211; Enable only having to click once, and carry over from saved game previous status.

• Insurance, Canal Systems and Stock Broking all use the same icon for Tech. Probably more examples.

• Solution &#8211; New Icons

• Guilds icon, will over ride the health icon in city screen, not sit beside as it should. Doh error Actual guilds icon, not overriding another.

• Note about civic changes overrides the cost of each civic choice made. At the very bottom of the civics screen, Left hand corner.

• Solution &#8211; Move down a line or 2

• TXT_KEY_EVENT_CAKE_FLOUR Comes up for the Cake event? No choice of actions.

• Solution- add in the proper link

• Get fishing boats event, when don't even have a coastal city or any culture on ocean or coast tiles, only on lakes.

• Storms can form on Lake tiles. (ok water tiles but really....)

• Solution &#8211; Why not storms going inland as Hurricanes/Cyclones/Typhoons

Things that do work fine and grateful for (See I :bowdown: as well as :gripe: )​
  • Claim tile: Simply brilliant feature, can now gain that tile in next ring of Culture, build improvements, if in 2nd ring, can gain all production bonuses, and once your culture expands and you gain 100% culture, you can move unit way.

• Great commander: I use my 1st Great General for this, as does the AI's. If used against you, it can make taking a city difficult.

Using a Great commander, they need to be placed in the centre of a 5 pronged surround. I.E. Centre of compass point, groups of units at Centre, West, East, North East and North West, target city is Due North as an example.

• Surround and destroy: it improves the odds immensely. The AI's use this feature as well. Trouble is the AI's won't use garrison troops to break a siege ring. So I can just use 1 or 2 troops to surround a garrisoned city of 6 (max units per tile) or unlimited troops. They won't attack and break my ring of steel, really just a paper ring.

Note AI's will actually use this tactic on you as well. I had one game the Ottomans came in early, surrounded my city with archers and Javiliers on 4 tiles and destroyed my 3 units defence. So good.

• Most of the other options enabled, too many to list, ½ the fun selecting options.

• Sell building, Control-A: Get rid of those useless buildings I don't want, namely Slave markets, when never running slavery.

• Targeting of Nukes, Under the MAD Civic.

Notes of Game Play:​

What's to say, just Brilliant.
  • Revolutions mod, just brilliant mod, improves the game play out of sight.

:think: I've NEVER had a big problem with this mod, I always play with Revolutions on. Oh I have the occasional revolution, I've lost 1 city, BRIBED OUT from beneath me by a rebel unit!!!!!! (So good)

Yes, I've messed up, and had my CORE starting cities quickly hit 400+ anarchy points per turn, peaking at over 1200 BEFORE I caught my error, well, just changing civics every turn into wrong civic.

I find just running certain civics and religious harmony, they are quickly brought down to ZERO rebellion. Really people, build some Cultural buildings, Monotheism in your empire (I play limited religions, and minor religions fade away) its quite easy.

Options for revolutions mod won't be saved from one save to resumption of save. Defaults back to original settings, any modifications are lost.

Note to this, missing file in the revolutions mod, Post has been made on file to copy from ROM mod to fix, and it WORKS!!!! Author is Flitz

Flitz it was exactly the problem, and it fixed it :thanx:

• Civics: Nicely done, limiting city spam in basic civics is great idea, you need to advance your Civs culture and ethics to expand your empire. Notice that you gain certain penalties for running a civic in opposition to another Civs Civics. Nice :goodjob: And it details those penalties I.E. Will gain -1 with Huyana Capic for running Monarchy

• 4 Gigs or Ram is a must, REALLY people, 4 Gigs of Ram is a must for 32 bit systems, even if all not fully addressed. (Been down that road trying to amend) Ram is so Cheap compared to other hardware fixes to improve system, on a cost benefits analysis its easily the best fix you can get.

If mother board only have 2 Ram Dimms, well for a start, bad motherboard, but buy 2x2 Gig dimms, and throw away those 2x1 Gig Dimms, it hurts yes, but the benefit will quickly soothe away those aches and pains. Certainly helps when running a 128 Meg Graphics card Nvidia FX 5600 XT (need to tweak this up to 512 Meg if I can get a cheap one)

Pentium 4, Chip x 2? (ex server), 4 Gig of Ram, 128 bit Graphics card, and Ubuntu 11.04 operating system. Bought system at online auction 7yr's ago, still runs fine.

ME: I play Huge maps, marathon speed, Continents and get by fine. Slow on the turns, yes, but that's just video card. High detail, AA set to Umm 0 or 2 I think??

Its just a brilliant Mod. Sure there are bugs, change so much, alter play so radically and you bound to come unstuck.

Keep up the good work :goodjob: :thanx: :clap:

[*]Inflation- OMFG!!!!!! this is BRO-KEN

I went from 6K Cash flow +ve, swapped civics, as I had built Christo Redentor, just to try out some others for effect. Went 1st time backwards to 500+ cash flow positive, did another swap, as I'd seen lost the -50 inflation, ok. Next civic swap, I'm -12K Cash flow, Inflations hit 375% and its only 1750 AD.

Cash rushing in Free Market, DOESN'T reduce inflation, it just increases it due to 'Cash rushing buildings modifier' that is multiplied by inflation rate
It just adds up, at the rate of 1% per turn at Marathon. Advance far enough and I've hit +750% inflation at 1941 AD. Regulated in now the best of a group of 'bad' choices for cash rushing.

I was running a continental Civ, in a HUGE map, this DID scale my expenses and income, not a problem, but the Inflation factor is just broken. I'm only 1/2 way through, I'd accidentally triggered domination win, just concurring my home continent

Solution- Rework inflation, I don't know what your trying to achieve here, but some of the civics, say that they reduce inflation by -50, -25 etc so to me seems to be -ve of a -ve, ends up being a +ve factor. Keep in mind I went from Cash flow +ve of +6K, to this just swapping some civics. These need some adjustment as well.

I just had a quick look at the code for this, and it has one glaring flaw (apart from discussions about the mechanism itself as it should operate). If you are playing with the game option 'Advanced Economy' turned on (you were I'm guessing) then various factors play into the inflation rate, notably civics (without the game option it's just difficulty setting and game speed). The problem is that these transient factors apply to not just your inflation rate NOW, but (in effect) your historical inflation rate.

The reason is that the game does not store the current cost-to-turn1-cost ratio, but instead calculates it each turn based on the assumption that your current inflation rate is the one that has operated for the ENTIRE game!! What this means is that if you switch from a no-modifier civic (most of them) to a high modifier one (mercantilism for example) it will immediately recalculate your costs as if you had ALWAYS been in that civic!!!

This should be easy enough to fix, but it doesn't alter your points about just turn-based inflation potentially getting out of hand. HOWEVER, if this WERE to be fixed it would open up the possibility of DEflationary civic choices, which would mean if your costs were getting out of hand you could opt for deflationary policies which would gradually reduce costs.

In regard to multiple civic changes making matters worse as you switch back and forth - I can't see any holes that would account for that. It simply subtracts the civic modifer when leaving a civic and adds it when entering one, so it all looks balanced. If you can come up with an exact recipe though I'm happy to look further.

The changes were just going from a bad option to a worse one. I.E. as you've stated a modified option to a highly modified option.

Advanced Economy, yes your quite correct there.

Deflationary civics, Great Idea, but you'd have to change so much, penalise growth, production, commerce etc I thought it may be too much to expect it to be coded into beta's.

Alfoss has said, doesn't want to go into infinite beta's.

Inflation is rampant though, Barter is the only Viable option, even with all cities on wealth, I'm still losing money in free market.

Thanks for info on advance economy, I'll try next time without, and note the differences.

The changes were just going from a bad option to a worse one. I.E. as you've stated a modified option to a highly modified option.

Advanced Economy, yes your quite correct there.

Deflationary civics, Great Idea, but you'd have to change so much, penalise growth, production, commerce etc I thought it may be too much to expect it to be coded into beta's.

Alfoss has said, doesn't want to go into infinite beta's.

Inflation is rampant though, Barter is the only Viable option, even with all cities on wealth, I'm still losing money in free market.

Thanks for info on advance economy, I'll try next time without, and note the differences.

I'll fix the bug I pointed out, so that going to higher inflation will increase the RATE at which your costs go up, NOT suddenly increase them step-wise. The observation about this allowing for deflationary civics was more a future musing ;-)

Note - because the fix will intriduce a saved value that was not previously present it will have implications for in-progress games as follows:

1) Only max compat saves from before the fix will load after

2) It will have to set the current value at load time based on the existing assumptions and so will 'freeze in' your inflated costs at the time you do the first load - you might not want to be in a super-high inflation civic when you do that ;-)

I also plan to take a nerf stick to fixed borders today, but more on that when I've done some work on it.

I'll let you know when I push a code change. Be grateful if you would review it as a sanity check when I do. My greatest fear since I'll be applying inflation incrementally will be rounding error effects.

I have made the change in C2C, holding off porting to AND until (1) os79's issue is resolved, and (2) there has been a little time for discussion.

See http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=435168 for details of the change.

@Killtech - if you're up for reviewing the change its rev 285 in the C2C SVN ('https://caveman2cosmos.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/caveman2cosmos/trunk'). The port to AND would be a straight copy of those changes.

i currently don't have Civ4 installed but i can look through the code if you post it here directly. but it's a straight forward change so i doubt there will be any problems except for the AI part. you should minimize the effects for AI as it evidently won't understand any of this significant long term consequences. i guess even players will fall for this... it will be irreversible after all and hardly noticeable in each turn.

well, play-testing costs also a lot more time then trying to figure out all possible consequences of the source. i like to see it and think about the problems it may cause.

Top Bottom